[Warlock] 90 tier + Demonic Gateway

90 Undead Warlock
There is no questioning that the new abilities Warlocks have access to in MoP are rather lackluster. So I have come up with changes to these abilities, and will do my best to explain my reasoning from both a PvP and PvE perspective.

First let us start of with Demonic Gateway

I understand why the game designers left it in its current form as there is a very fine line separating the spell from being too powerful versus nigh worthless. At its core the idea behind the spell is sound, but it suffers from a few problems that render it only useful in specific environments. So I propose the following changes...

1) Remove the tether...

To make it act more like Demonic Circle. There is nothing more frustrating than being confined to a certain area in order to actually use the spell. In PvE and Arena environments this is not such a big deal due to the size of the playing field. Where the tethering issue becomes apparent is in Battlegrounds. I simply cannot go from one end of the map to another without the portal de-spawning.

2) Reduce the initial charge time...

I feel like the 5 second cast time is perfectly acceptable. The problem is the 10~ second delay after the cast goes off and the portal is actually useable. As soon as the portal lands the first charge should be able to be used. This change would make the spell more useable, especially in the fast paced nature of Arena.

And finally...

3) Allow flag carries to use the blasted thing...

Seriously, this would not be unbalanced at all. A 15 second debuff is applied to whomever uses the portal the FC would not be able to abuse a portal chain set up by multiple locks.

Let us move on to the talent choices Warlock's have once they reach the level cap.

Archimonde's Vengeance

I can understand why this spell's effectiveness was reduced due to players abusing the mechanic in PvE. But I am pretty certain my proposed changes would not upset balance.

1) Increase the passive to 10%.

5% is just too little to be noticeable. Pretty simple.

2) Keep the on-use damage, but now affects everyone who attacks the Warlock and is useable while stunned.

It doesn't make sense for the passive to affect all targets that damage the Warlock, but the on use only affects one target. Gives Warlocks a formidable defense against target swaps in Arena and makes enemy targets think twice before unloading all of their crazy burst we know exists in MoP.

Kil'jaeden's Cunning

Currently the negatives far outweigh the positives with this spell. The on-use effect is simply too weak to overcome the passive's shortcomings.

1) Change the passive to allow three spells to be cast while moving, with 5-10 seconds refresh rate per charge, a la conflagrate charges. Either remove the penalty or make it 25% increase cast time.

2) On use effect would instantly grant 3 charges and for the duration of the effect spells do not have an increased cast time, or perhaps an increased movement speed while casting.

Mannoroth's Fury

This one was perhaps the hardest to come up with meaningful changes for. The only practical use for this spell is is in PvP with destruction using it to increase the chance of Aftermath stuns. Other than that the spell has no benefits. So I propose a whole new, on use, addition to the spell. The general theme behind these was the "warlock exploding with fel-energy causing damage to everyone nearby."

Destruction - Next Chaos Bolt will deal splash damage to all nearby targets. Perhaps to the order of 20% of the bolt's single target damage.

Affliction - Next Seed of Corruption will instantly detonate and will apply a seed to all nearby targets.

Demonology - Your next Hellfire cast will ignite targets on fire. Causing them to each create smaller and weaker hellfire versions, dealing damage to all nearby enemies.

I urge everyone to comment and refine these ideas in hopes that Warlock's can gain more interesting and game-changing abilities and talents.

edit: Grammar
Edited by Sheatus on 10/6/2012 4:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
10/06/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Sheatus
There is no questioning that the new abilities Warlocks have access to in MoP is rather lackluster. So I have come up with changes to these abilities, and will do my best to explain my reasoning from both a PvP and PvE perspective.

Completely disagree, so there is definitely a question. What you are stating is your opinion =/= fact.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
10/06/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Scath
Completely disagree

With the Warlocks I have spoken to most agreed that our 90 talents are mostly boring, and you are one of the first who liked the way they are. And forgive me for being a little too bold with my assertions.

I would love to hear your opinion on how they are acceptable.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I think Demonic Gateway is decent as it is, with exception to it's cast time. Reduce the cast time so I can Get to a pillar and cast the damn thing before I get crashed by a melee cleave.

Dont balance my surviability on having the damn thing out, but limit the spell to being out for only 2/3 of my total fights.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
1) Remove the tether...

I agree, make it just like portal.

2) Reduce the initial charge time...

I don't see a big deal with the charge time

3) Allow flag carries to use the blasted thing...

god no, the last thing we need is druids using gateways for even fast caps.

1) Increase the passive to 10%.

passive damage (thorns) is stupid, just change the spell to something else.

Kil'jaeden's Cunning

is a good spell outside of the snare

Mannoroth's Fury

is actually quite good in PVP for destruction and demo, i actually expect a nerf.
feels a lot less useful for affliction though.
Edited by Betelgeus on 10/6/2012 6:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]