Weather effects and Elemental pets

88 Pandaren Monk
Anybody really unhappy with the elemental passive? 5/6 times this works against them in someway rather then benefit them.I myself don;t have any idea for a better passive/improvement so was wondering if you guys did or what your thoughts are on thiswas
Reply Quote
I tend to agree.

A passive should never be a double edged sword considering you can't opt out of it. It's like if Beast pets had reduced damage above 50% health.

As for ideas, perhaps it would be better if it removed the drawbacks of weather effects. Or for the purpose of fairness decreased them by a percentage.

If the double edged sword thing is a must I suppose it would be fair on some level if it doubled both the benefits and drawbacks, although that could be even worse considering some weather has no direct benefits.
Edited by Barba on 10/7/2012 4:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
10/07/2012 04:09 AMPosted by Barba
As for ideas, perhaps it would be better if it removed the drawbacks of weather effects.

I'm pretty sure this is the intended behaviour. Otherwise, they wouldn't have given Singing Sunflower a Sunlight ability and two other abilities that benefit from it.
Edited by Sellary on 10/7/2012 4:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
To be fair, I've been looking at a strategy involving 2x elementals and a pet that could use Call Darkness.

2x negative effects for the enemy team and none your elemental pets need to suffer!

EDIT: Another such example would be the Scorched Earth weather effect. With elementals, your team need not take damage over time.

Elementals can benefit greatly if you just roll with the right combo.
Edited by Stax on 10/7/2012 7:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Warrior
I guess I'm not clear on what you mean by working against elementals. Can you give an example? I've never seen an elemental affected by the weather other than if they have skills that are positively helped by it.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Tinkor
I guess I'm not clear on what you mean by working against elementals. Can you give an example? I've never seen an elemental affected by the weather other than if they have skills that are positively helped by it.

As examples:

Sandstorm - During a sandstorm, all pets take 5 less damage and their accuracy is reduced by 10%.

Cleansing Rain - During a cleansing rain, the duration of hostile damage over time effects is reduced by 1 round and Aquatic pets deal 25% more damage.

Moonlight - During Moonlight, all pets receive 25% additional healing and Magic abilities deal 10% additional damage.

Sunlight - During a sunny day, the maximum health of all pets is increased by <% Amount>. and healing done is increased by <% Amount>.

Lightning Storm - During a Lightning Storm, all pets deal 2 bonus Mechanical damage on each attack and Mechanical abilities deal 25% additional damage.

Its stating that regardless who puts up these weather effects, there are beneficial parts that elemental pets ignore, as well as the detrimental ones.

EDIT: These are supposed to be offset by the fact that they also do not take the negative effects.

Darkness - During Darkness, all pets are considered Blinded and all healing received is reduced by<% amount>.

Scorched Earth - During Scorched Earth, all pets count as Burning.

Blizzard - During a Blizzard, all pets are considered Chilled.

Sandstorm - During a sandstorm, all pets take 5 less damage and their accuracy is reduced by 10%.

I know there's a few other weather effects and such, but you get the idea.
Edited by Stax on 10/7/2012 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
No way! The current passive is incredibly strong and requires you to think about your team comp and ways that you can use this to benefit you. For example, I'm currently running a triple elemental team combo'd with Scorched Earth that focuses on heavy DoT. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this passive, it's just something to take into account when planning pet swaps and move sets. Furthermore there is NOTHING wrong with a passive being a double edged sword, sorry folks, but this is how videogames work outside of the usual blizzard ethic of "make everyone happy by making everything boring." It requires you to plan accordingly and make informed decisions. That would be like complaining about the flying passive because once your pet drops below 50% your alpha strike strategy loses some of it's potency. Deal with it, adapt your play style to fit within the rules of the game, don't just expect the game to change.
Reply Quote
88 Pandaren Monk
Yes but there as no draw backs to the flying passive.All they get is a bonus.It's not like get reduced speed when they go below the 50% they only go to thier normal speed.None of the other passives work against it's type(i might make an exception with undead)

Beast get extra damage at % health

Mechanical come back to life when they die

Critters are less affected by CC

Undead are immortal for one round after they die

Dragonkin do 25% more damage against targets below 50% health

Flying get 50% speed bonus when above 50% health

Humanoids get healed for 4% of the damage they do

Aquatics are less effected by DoTs by 25%

Magic types can't be done more then 50% of their health in damage by an attack

None of these passives work against the type it's associated with and if they do not on the scale that the Elemental one does.Why should Elementals have to work around a passive just so they can be on an equal playing field?As the guy below my OP said "A passive shouldn't be a double edges sword"
Edited by Sooyungwu on 10/7/2012 1:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
10/07/2012 01:26 PMPosted by Sooyungwu
None of these passives work against the type it's associated with and if they do not on the scale that the Elemental one does.Why should Elementals have to work around a passive just so they can be on an equal playing field?As the guy below my OP said "A passive shouldn't be a double edges sword"

And as I specifically stated, there is absolutely nothing preventing passives from being a double edged sword, in fact, it makes the game more interesting and dynamic. I would argue that at times the elemental passive puts them above the playing field. If used correctly I've found it to be one of the strongest passives in the game. When I read the elemental passive, I practically fell out of my chair with maniacal laughter just thinking of the possibilities, I decided to build my team around a hostile weather effect that my elementals would stand completely immune to and so far it has been tremendously successful. Sometimes mechanics are a trade off. Deal with it. Adapt to it. Stop expecting the game to change just because you can't think of convenient ways to apply it.
Reply Quote
24 Dwarf Hunter
As for ideas, perhaps it would be better if it removed the drawbacks of weather effects.

The intent seems to be either that that or that any weather other than a Sunny Day doesn't affect Elementals.

It makes no sense for Elementals to have skills that benefit from Sunny Day (Photosynthesis and Solar Beam) but then are blocked from taking advantage of them by their family trait.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
10/07/2012 09:05 PMPosted by Ungorojoe
It makes no sense for Elementals to have skills that benefit from Sunny Day (Photosynthesis and Solar Beam) but then are blocked from taking advantage of them by their family trait.

I don't believe they are blocked. I think that if the ability specifically states that it is effected by weather then the weather will act on the ability and not the elemental itself. I haven't tested this though, can anyone with more thorough data comment on this? If they are indeed blocked, then I can't imagine it is working as intended and it does need to be fixed.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Singing Sunflower does not recieve 50% more health
Photosynthesis is not twice as effective, it heals the same amount.
Neither Photosynthesis nor Inspiring Song healing is increased by 25%

Solar Beam will deal additional damage during Sunny Day and seems to be the only mechanic working.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]