Eternal Flame

90 Human Paladin
So i remember a while back everyone was generally agreeing it would be better to take sacred shield because it was free and word of glory was a useful single target hp dump. Well, i was doing some snooping on WoL's and i noticed most of the paladins pulling out insane hps in mv were running eternal flame?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
While I'm not raiding as holy, I'm doing plenty of heroics and BGs as holy, and I love Eternal Flame. It's very, very powerful, and I can live without SS.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sin
Eternal flame benifits from mastery for holy, sacred shield doesn't.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/07/2012 07:19 AMPosted by Cormana
Eternal flame benifits from mastery for holy, sacred shield doesn't.

Does each hot tick grant the mastery shield, or just the base heal?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I mathed it out and Sacred Shield contributes an additional ~3.6k hps, while Eternal Flame contributes at minimum ~4.4k hps, assuming neither overheals, with my gear and full raid buffs. To put it in perspective, my SS heals for about 154k over the duration, while EF heals for about 240k. The worst case situation for EF is to get only 3 HoP every ~20 sec, so subtracting for the opportunity cost of the missed LoD gets you the 4.4k additional hps (over not having either talent, that is). Subtracting the opportunity cost of about half a HL cast from SS's healing yields the 3.6k hps value. However, under optimal conditions for EF (having Holy Avenger up), the talent yields an additional ~28k hps. Using a HR>HS>HR>EF "rotation" yields an additional 12k hps. This puts EF leaps and bounds ahead of SS in all situations but one: when EF is doing like 80%+ overhealing or something ridiculous like that.

One thing to note is that if you use LoD more than EF, SS becomes better. I am raiding 10s so I can't really attest to how much EF overheals in 25m, but in 10m its reasonable to expect to get a Lot of useful burst healing out of EF.

I for one welcome our new HoPo-finisher overlords. Sacred Shield (after the nerf to it in Ulduar patch restricting it to one target) has been nothing but a headache buff to keep up. Good riddance.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sin
every tick applies the mastery shield.
Edited by Cormana on 10/7/2012 10:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I prefer Eternal flame to SS, it applies the mastery shield and also heals the target of beacon with every tick.

SS is very underwhelming in comparison.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
You know, I've been running with SS for a while, but you guys are probably right. Looking at the napkin math I just did, with my current mastery numbers and given the beacon transfer, etc. etc., EF just scales too well. I would still take SS for a fight like Ultraxion where you rarely use single-target heals, but I find it highly unlikely there are any of those soon (maybe that's just me hoping that the DS damage model is in the past).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/07/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Cormana

Wow, didn't know this. Weird how Eternal Flame applies Mastery, yet none of our lvl 90 talents do (though from what I hear, they buffed their spellpower to compensate).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I mathed it out and Sacred Shield contributes an additional ~3.6k hps, while Eternal Flame contributes at minimum ~4.4k hps, assuming neither overheals, with my gear and full raid buffs. To put it in perspective, my SS heals for about 154k over the duration, while EF heals for about 240k. The worst case situation for EF is to get only 3 HoP every ~20 sec, so subtracting for the opportunity cost of the missed LoD gets you the 4.4k additional hps (over not having either talent, that is). Subtracting the opportunity cost of about half a HL cast from SS's healing yields the 3.6k hps value. However, under optimal conditions for EF (having Holy Avenger up), the talent yields an additional ~28k hps. Using a HR>HS>HR>EF "rotation" yields an additional 12k hps. This puts EF leaps and bounds ahead of SS in all situations but one: when EF is doing like 80%+ overhealing or something ridiculous like that.

One thing to note is that if you use LoD more than EF, SS becomes better. I am raiding 10s so I can't really attest to how much EF overheals in 25m, but in 10m its reasonable to expect to get a Lot of useful burst healing out of EF.

I for one welcome our new HoPo-finisher overlords. Sacred Shield (after the nerf to it in Ulduar patch restricting it to one target) has been nothing but a headache buff to keep up. Good riddance.

SS is the headache indeed. And her math is on par. EF in my opinion and numberwise is better all around.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
10/07/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Jackishi

Wow, didn't know this. Weird how Eternal Flame applies Mastery, yet none of our lvl 90 talents do (though from what I hear, they buffed their spellpower to compensate).

Holy Prism does apply Illuminated Healing, unless I'm hallucinating.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sin
10/07/2012 11:44 AMPosted by Tailosaurus

Holy Prism does apply Illuminated Healing, unless I'm hallucinating.

Yeah, that is what I've seen as well. Both single target and aoe. I understand why the hammer doesn't, it is not our healing it is our pet that heals. Also a problem with it being used to kill mobs, if you don't hit the mobs with another spell before they die you don't get loot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]