SWTOR And WoW.

90 Pandaren Monk
So I decided to take a gander over to the SWToR forums and I found a thread debating about SWToR and WoW, comparing which is better. OP in the thread claimed SWToR is better than WoW listed his reason as why and such but one of them got to me with all the complaints about how much questing XP it takes to get from 85-90 this struck me as funny.

3. Questing makes you want to continue. I'm currently in a free to level 20 in WoW, and well I'm not subscribing afterwards (whether I can play star wars or not). It just doesn't interest me as anymore than a fun time killer, but not worth paying for. SWTOR i'd pay for every month, the quests are chained and interesting and make you want to come back. Not to mention the overarching story that while dull in act 2 is still pretty interesting. Plain and simple the quests in star wars just link together better and want to make you keep playing.

Now, I have never played SWToR nor do I have any interest in it but what I hear over there is the only quest line change is the fact of your class. Every thing else is the same, you have no choice to move to a different zone if you want to. I just do not see how this guy gets his reasoning.

Something else struck me as funny too, and I am just waiting for it to crop up on our forums. SWToR is going F2P very soon, with that being said I saw this post:
WoW already claimed SWTOR has taken Subs from them which SWTOR has become the first MMO to make a dent in WoW subscription base. Believe me the Free to Play model is upon us and WoW won't last long come November.

Can some one enlighten me as to when WoW claimed SWToR took subs from us?
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
I don't know about subs, but my problem with the quests was that they were in fact they were all the same. All the enemies are always in packs of 3 and 4, so you go around an empty area killing 20 monsters and picking up 10 quest items, then turn it in. You are rewarded with dialogue that as you progress through the game just turns to aliens speaking gibberish so the writers could take more off the 120 million dollars that went into this game

Just my 2 cents. I'll be heading back once it's free to play, but definitely not better than WoW for me - I have more complains than I care to list.
Reply Quote
76 Blood Elf Priest
SWTOR lost half its subs 2 months after release, BioWare fired the guy responsible and now its been forced to go free-to-play in an effort to salvage what's left of a game they spent a ridiculous amount of money creating.

It's a disaster.

Comparing WoW to SWTOR is like comparing a teacher to a kid that rides the short bus.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
the class quests in SWTOR were really compelling... one of my favorite things from any MMO I've played.

it made you want to level one character of every class just to experience the different storylines.

that said, the game was doomed by its lack of endgame content on launch.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SWtor is a good game it just does not have the content wow does, there long range goal is to create more content, wow was not built over night many xpacs and and innovative ideas <crz not included> blizzard has done to make a game that keeps you interested.
Yes but when WoW was released you had the EK and Kal to chose from as which area you wanted to quest in. Back then they did not have a whole lot of the fancy stuff SWToR does. (Companions, Space battles, ect.)
Reply Quote
SWTOR was a disaster from day 1.

It could have been really special but bioware, for some unfathomable reason, leased/bought the broken pos "hero engine" instead of developing one in-house (which is what they are known for... Baldurs gate 1 was a succsess because of their engine, the infinity engine). Hero Engine is garbage and incredibly buggy, with response time issues.

The game is borderline unplayable in pvp because of this, so i could give to !@#$s about "the questing experiance" because well, it's bad.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
the free to play in swtor is just like wow's up to lv 20 and you can not do any of the flashpoints and a few other areas so please get facts correct i know i played it in beta and for 4 months after the start and still have a family member playing now so get those facts straight.

making facts up is like driving blind!
There are no made up facts in what they stated, I remember when Bio released their quarterly statement they claimed if BF3 did not make as much as it did they would be in the red for SWToR. That was the same time they decided to make it F2P.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Biggest difference between the 2...WoW will still have live servers next year. ;)

innovative ideas <crz not included>

You know, no matter what side of the argument you are on, I do not see how you could not think that CRZ is some real cutting edge stuff for a 8 year old MMO.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The story quests were cool but once you got to 50 they ended. I mean I was put on the Sith Dark Council but I never get invited to meetings or even do anything for the Dark Council. Its like as soon as you hit 50 your story ends which is really dumb because at 50 it should really get more involved. Also they ruined the game from the start by not having cross server PvP or instances. This is how my life at max level went until I finally said screw this and quit:

1. Log in and do dailies then head to Fleet (think SW/Org) cause its where everyone hangs out
2. Spam Chat asking for groups
3. Repeat Step 2 for 2-3 hours
4. Rage Log
5. Log in Next day and repeat 1-4 all over again
6. Repeated 1-5 until I realized this game sucked.

I guess I was dumb or something cause stuck around for 3 months because I remembered Rift started out slow but Trion had their stuff together and was quick to fix things so I assumed BioWare would do the same. BioWare was about as fast as someone with no legs when it came to fixing their broke !@# game.
Edited by Lilicia on 10/7/2012 9:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
SWTOR is gonna kill WoW guys...

So what if were going F2P more people...

We dropped 10+ servers...so? Big deal.

SWTOR will kill WoW.

Clones can kill clones after all.
Reply Quote
76 Blood Elf Priest
10/07/2012 09:02 AMPosted by Æóníç
facts

facts

facts

facty facty fact fact fact

I didn't make any facts up...I left out a detail.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
The class quests in SWTOR were amazing. The rest of the questing was no different than wow. Imo the reason the game failed is the lack of end-game content and the failure to engage the pvp community. When the ranked warzones were set to come out, far to late to begin with, they were pulled on the day before the patch. Alot of people i know re-subbed specifically for RWZ, and promptly unsubbed and vowed to never touch a bioware game again after that.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I liked SWTOR and I stuck with the game till they said it was going free to play as I hate free to play games and will have nothing to do with them.

SWTOR has some of the best questing in a mmo I have ever played and the 5 mans were good before they made them super easy.

The thing is the game also had a lot of problems and insted of giving Bioware time to fix them EA Games fired most of the staff at Bioware and most of the people who were left have since quit. Even the founders of Bioware left a a few weeks ago EA games have killed Bioware.

Now most of the people working at Bioware are Mythic staff remember them from Failhammer?
They are the guys who will be making the new Dragon Age and Mass Effect god help us..

It makes me really sad to know that we will never see another real Bioware game as I loved there games.
EA games really needs to die in a fire!
Edited by Lorel on 10/7/2012 9:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I played SWTOR at launch and looked at it briefly recently before coming back to wow (Means I came back twice) and let me tell you SWTOR fell flat on its face.

The storylines for classes are interesting but they are so far apart between the level grind that it is hard to get into them. All the filler is the same as WoW but even easier, you just mindlessly mow down mobs effortlessly with your pet companion.

Edit: Forgot to mention choice doesnt really matter overall. You basically get some credits in the mail with a text response based on the choice you make....as opposed to ever seeing the characters again in the story.

The graphics are interesting but I cant play WZs on my toaster without getting 1fps, ergo WoW is superior because its cartoony style allows me to play BGs and Raids.

The zones are tiny, I mean small, they are TINY. 3 Times for emphasis. There is no exploration to be had as everything is ridiculously compact for an MMO. Add to that you are likely to trip over 20 mobs the moment you step outside (dont worry you can mow em down still).

Gear was a boring grind with little payoff since everything boils to a button spam as you hit the target with as much DPS as possible while you stunlock them. The Gear just means you can play stupid and still win against low gear players who might know what they're doing or play flawlessly.

And as for romance sub-plots.....I just find BioWares constant need to throw the romance (hetro or otherwise.....DA2 *shudders*) to be just obnoxious and creepy. I play games for the story and the ability to engage in harmless destruction with friends....not pixelated womenz.

DA2 was god-awful, we were told it would be better with SWTOR, SWTOR was awful we were told it would be alright for ME3, ME3 was AWFUL. BioWare is a dead company as far as Im concerned. The days of Baldurs Gate and KOTOR1 are gone, and so is Black Isle, Torment & Icewind Dale =(
Edited by Anargyros on 10/7/2012 9:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/07/2012 09:08 AMPosted by Monedra
The class quests in SWTOR were amazing. The rest of the questing was no different than wow. Imo the reason the game failed is the lack of end-game content and the failure to engage the pvp community. When the ranked warzones were set to come out, far to late to begin with, they were pulled on the day before the patch. Alot of people i know re-subbed specifically for RWZ, and promptly unsubbed and vowed to never touch a bioware game again after that.
The one thing I heard about it that I thought was cool was the voice over questing but at the same time having as many alts as I do I would get irritated in having no way to skip it after so long.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
SWTOR lost half its subs 2 months after release, BioWare fired the guy responsible and now its been forced to go free-to-play in an effort to salvage what's left of a game they spent a ridiculous amount of money creating.

It's a disaster.

Comparing WoW to SWTOR is like comparing a teacher to a kid that rides the short bus.

the free to play in swtor is just like wow's up to lv 20 and you can not do any of the flashpoints and a few other areas so please get facts correct i know i played it in beta and for 4 months after the start and still have a family member playing now so get those facts straight.

making facts up is like driving blind!

He didn't make anything up. SWTOR fired a bunch of people, they lost over half of their subs within the first 6 months of launch, and they abandoned the sub model for a f2p model, which obviously still has a pay method in it which you so kindly pointed out and claimed he lied but anyone with half a brain knew that f2p implies you pay for something. You lump all those together and you get a disaster.
Reply Quote
42 Gnome Monk
SWtOR would have been pretty good as a single player game. I leveled a Sniper to 50 and thought the story was amazing. I started to level a consular and another sniper and realized all I really wanted was to see the story and everything else was just getting in the way, so I quit.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Biggest difference between the 2...WoW will still have live servers next year. ;)

innovative ideas <crz not included>

You know, no matter what side of the argument you are on, I do not see how you could not think that CRZ is some real cutting edge stuff for a 8 year old MMO.

Because regardless of how you feel about it, it is a pretty innovative idea, I mean what other MMO out there with multiple servers has made it theoretically possible for you to interact with anybody in the same region, not only in battlegrounds but out in the world as well.

Have a RL friend that plays WoW? no more server transfers if you want to play with them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]