SWTOR And WoW.

87 Blood Elf Paladin
Oz
SWTOR is a really good game if you want to be all by yourself in your MMO and not see any other players. Outside of a few gilded features, it's basically vanilla WoW. While a lot of people have really a passionate fondness for the glory days, an exact duplicate of that now would be considered one of the worst MMOs on the market. The game came out less than a year ago and yet is already several years behind the times compared to GW2, WoW, Tera, etc., and the fact that they listened to their idiotic fanbase (seriously, they make/made the general forums here look like a mensa forum) and actively made terrible decisions shows that they were in it for the cash (EA), and not looking to make a quality game (I understand full well they're a business and SHOULD be out to make money, but when it becomes blatantly obvious that you think you can get away with the bare minimum for a premium price while falling way behind in the market it's kind of insulting)
Reply Quote
89 Draenei Warrior
I had 3 level 50's. while at first glance you're like man, this game rocks, then you see the glaring issues.

1. THe engine is absolute suck sauce.
2. No macros :(
3 . All the character models look essentially the same. THey all have that derpy run animation.
4. Not enough stuff to do
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The class questlines in SWTOR are downright fantastic. Honestly the most engrossing quests I've ever played through in any game. Bar none.

That said you need to do zone quests to progress along the class questline. While those are actually very interesting the first time the second you have to go through them with another character they become incredibly tedious and uninteresting. The other problem is that they ruin the flow of the class questlines. It's sort of a lore cockblock to be caught up in the middle of a fascinating questline and all of a sudden get stuck killing a bunch of !@#$ing bat creatures.

I think WoW quests are on par with TOR purely because of TORS class questlines. If not for those I would say WoW quests are significantly more fun just because they aren't as much of a grind.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
10/07/2012 09:15 AMPosted by Slumberparty
SWTOR is a really good game if you want to be all by yourself in your MMO and not see any other players. Outside of a few gilded features, it's basically vanilla WoW. While a lot of people have really a passionate fondness for the glory days, an exact duplicate of that now would be considered one of the worst MMOs on the market. The game came out less than a year ago and yet is already several years behind the times compared to GW2, WoW, Tera, etc., and the fact that they listened to their idiotic fanbase (seriously, they make/made the general forums here look like a mensa forum) and actively made terrible decisions shows that they were in it for the cash (EA), and not looking to make a quality game (I understand full well they're a business and SHOULD be out to make money, but when it becomes blatantly obvious that you think you can get away with the bare minimum for a premium price while falling way behind in the market it's kind of insulting)

I feel like it actually can be discouraging to group quests, which is a real shame because group questing is one of the things they actually did well. But multi player conversations were BS, and trying to get to social level 10 is a nightmare. Not that you'd get something that good from it anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
the class quests in SWTOR were really compelling... one of my favorite things from any MMO I've played.

it made you want to level one character of every class just to experience the different storylines.

that said, the game was doomed by its lack of endgame content on launch.

Ok, I played SwToR for a while and it wasn't the lack of endgame that really doomed it. A great many things doomed this game. First off, the planetary line. There was absolutely no choice in what planet you went to. You went to the same planet with every character, did the same quests with every character

Secondly, many of the class storyline quests were impossible to do for when you got them. The Sith Inquisiitor first boss you had to kill, while the boss was supposed to be your level when you met her, it clearly would destroy you if you didn't wait until 30-32 to do her. Then you had the underwhelming finish, with a final boss that only took time because he could heal himself, not because he had any chance of killing you unless you were stupid.

Thirdly, the idea of bonus series missions on the planets was great, when it actually followed in level right after you finished the planet. However, many of these bonus missions were nowhere close in proximity to your level and many ppl did not even know they existed because of that. You never got a quest on the planet you were on telling you to go back to such and such planet for an urgent mission. Yes, you may have a random npc on the space station that would have a quest for you IF you even bothered to notice him, since it was one little robot in one corner of the space station.

Then there were the raids. The problem was not that there was no endgame content. There was. The problem was that practically every boss was buggy, with the last boss being the worst case of a bugfest I have ever seen in any raid boss I have ever encountered....I am referring to the last boss in the first raid, Eternity Vault. Let's not talk about how buggy the pylon boss was in there. While WoW is not perfect on bugs on encounters, it is absolutely peachy when compared to the bugs that were still present when the next raid was introduced. It was like they didn't care about fixing it.

Finally, the ships and the speeders. You could not get a speeder that went any faster than the entry level one....the upgraded one that cost quite a bit more when consideirng the training cost only allowed you to take more hits on it before being dismounted. If you think the travel time in WoW is crazy, you should check out the travel time in this game :p.
Then there are the ships. Every single person got a ship at the same time and the only purpose they served was a requirement to get to the next planet. They weren't much more than a transport(other than the dumb arcade style games you coulld play in them :p). You always landed on the same spot of the same planet. You could not choose to land your ship in another spot to make travel to a specific spot easier. It just seemed so badly done considering the amount of time they spent getting this game out.

So, in the end, despite the fact I am a huge Star Wars fan in general, the game that lacked certain features to make it fun to play any longer than I did.
Edited by Caladynus on 10/7/2012 9:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
10/07/2012 08:51 AMPosted by Mistweavers
So I decided to take a gander over to the SWToR forums and I found a thread debating about SWToR and WoW, comparing which is better. OP in the thread claimed SWToR is better than WoW

Of course there gonna say SWTOR is better
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
10/07/2012 09:15 AMPosted by Slumberparty

This is so, so true. I do not normally join the bandwagon on a money grab thing, but honestly with the bugs in the game and raids etc that existed to the day they created a new raid, I really wonder whether they care. If you don't think Blizzard cares about the game, I suggest you take a look at SwToR and the bugs they probably still have to this day in the first raid they created.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10/07/2012 09:08 AMPosted by Miravella
facts

facts

facts

facty facty fact fact fact

I didn't make any facts up...I left out a detail.

Sgt Friday voice: Just the Facts Mam
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
SWTOR was...interesting but to its core it was a WoW clone and i'm tired of WoW clones.

The Hero engine is...not a good engine for an MMO, SWTOR proved to that me and with TES online using the same engine i'm fearful to even play it. SWTOR had good points like the leveling story. But sadly polish on a turd is still a turd. It didn't even last a full year before becoming F2P. It was fun but the novelity wears off after awhile and you see it's just a WoW clone in space. It was even more shameful is i'm a big RPer and the RP was either go to a floating trash can and talk about slaves (Empire) or go to a floating trash can and talk about light side (Republic). They made great worlds yet no one used them. Shame is...SWTOR is basically our hopes of KOTOR 3 and...welp...yeah. Star Wars games are just becoming less and less interesting, HOPEFULY 1313 will be awesome.

With the hopes of that Warhammer 40,000 MMO being crushed and turned into a single player with multiplayer...MMOs are just nothing interesting anymore.

WoW and GW2 for me.
Edited by Björn on 10/7/2012 9:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
TOR would have been a decent single player game if you could level just through the class quests. As it was.... yeah my space bar key did not like the quest system.

Oh and tank and spank mechanics just don't feel right in a star wars universe.
Edited by Ziryus on 10/7/2012 9:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
WoW > SWTOR

I have a level 50 Trooper and level 50 Sith Warrior. only good quests are the story quests all the other quests are annoying because they take you out of character, I.E. I was a light sided sith who wanted to depose the emperor and take his power for myself but not at the expense of others, this fit really well in my story quests but in the other quests I was forced to be a degrees of jerk, because I was on the empire.

Trooper less so but trooper was boring compared to force users.

SWTOR should've been a single player RPG and continued as KOTOR 3, of course I'm just one of the still butt anguished people upset that KOTOR was made into an MMO for money =/.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
10/07/2012 09:38 AMPosted by Ziryus
TOR would have been a decent single player game if you could level just through the class quests. As it was.... yeah my space bar key did not like the quest system.

THIS too...it seemed like they hyped up the full voice acting WAY too much and forgot the other aspects entirely. Then the game comes out and everyone asks for "is there gonna be spanish....is there gonna be this and that language?" In the end the voice acting while interesting was one of the handicaps.

The class quests were interesting...and sometime full stupid. Like the trooper story...I felt like batman and the main villian in my story plot was a generic bad guy that was let go at the end to evilly fiddle with his long curly mustache only to say "I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME BATMAN!". The trooper end story was like a saturday morning cartoon...

Which is funny because it's apparently dark side points to NOT want to exchange a few PoWs for a IMPERIAL GENERAL WITH PLANS TO DESTROY THE ENTIRE REPUBLIC!...logic was stupid at times. Oh whats that...this guy mass murdered civilians and non combat personnel...lets kill him ERR WRONG DARK SIDE POINTS YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD ABOUT YOURSELF FOR KILLING THAT POOR MAN!
Edited by Björn on 10/7/2012 9:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Human Paladin
the guy who was the lead designer for WoW, Guild Wars, battlenet, and a few other notables, i've forgotten the name of, said the one problem mmos face today is that their designers have to fight their investors, every step of the way. the investors want to see the game out on the market making money, now, not after it's been thoroughly tested and problems that could crop up later, identified beforehand. they stifle creativity, innovation and force the release of buggy, half finished content. just look at happened with star wars galaxies.
Edited by Indeêd on 10/7/2012 9:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
10/07/2012 09:43 AMPosted by Indeêd
the guy who was the lead designer for WoW, Guild Wars, battlenet, and a few other notables, i've forgotten the name of, said the one problem mmos face today is that their designers have to fight their investors, every step of he way. the investors want to see the game out on the market making money, now, not after it's been thoroughly tested and problems that could crop up later, identified beforehand. they stifle creativity, innovation and force the release of buggy, half finished content. just look at happened with star wars galaxies.

Basically...I never trust a game with EA on the box anymore.
Reply Quote
88 Human Paladin

and bjorn, how did you get a rose in your teeth?? lol
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I thought SWTOR was a decent game, but it lacked a lot of features that WoW has.

I did not like the planet-based quests; they took forever to complete and really weren't fun at all by the 4th alt.
While the PvP overall was kinda a mess, I loved the Bolster system they used. Wish we could try that in WoW.
Edited by Gerart on 10/7/2012 9:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

and bjorn, how did you get a rose in your teeth?? lol
Forever Lovely Rose it was from Hallows End event

10/07/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Gerart
I loved the Bolster system they used.

What is that?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Biggest difference between the 2...WoW will still have live servers next year. ;)

You know, no matter what side of the argument you are on, I do not see how you could not think that CRZ is some real cutting edge stuff for a 8 year old MMO.

Because regardless of how you feel about it, it is a pretty innovative idea, I mean what other MMO out there with multiple servers has made it theoretically possible for you to interact with anybody in the same region, not only in battlegrounds but out in the world as well.

Have a RL friend that plays WoW? no more server transfers if you want to play with them.

Erm. I know I'm going to get crucified for saying this, but GW2.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I played Sw:ToR for about 2 weeks.

Got real boring, real fast
Reply Quote
87 Troll Death Knight
The level of polish in WoW is just better. I have played more SWTOR than WoW and as a game that has come out after I would be rather disappointed had I produced the product
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]