How to survive a warrior encounter

90 Human Warrior
There are several things you can do to not only survive a warrior's burst, but even negate most of their pressure. The major complaints about warriors seem to be regarding their burst, and a little about their utility. First you must understand some basic rules of PvP, warrior's general mechanics, and how those mechanics are used to apply pressure.

PvP general

-Get add-ons.
"but MLG players dont use add-ons!" You're not MLG and you never will be. You're here getting gibed by warriors and hunter's cheese comps. It's pretty obvious where you sit on the totem pole. Download GladiatorlosSA and spellalerter. learn to use them, as i will reference them later.

these will TELL YOU when the warrior is about to blow you up, so you can be ready.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/gladiatorlossa
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/spell-alerter

-Only trinket when someone is going to die.
Unless you can get a kill, or your team is going to lose a player, do NOT trinket. Stuns are annoying, cyclone is annoying, poly is annoying; DEAL WITH IT. Unless they CC you and blow cool downs, you should not trinket. If you do, this will put you into a longer CC chain and they will most likely blow everything they have while you sit there helpless.

-Learn to fake cast.
If you're a caster and you really need to get a spell off, start casting it before you need to, then cancel it 1/4 of the way through. Mages are the hardest to juke, because bad mages don't focus, and good mages prioritize. However, melee will almost always kick anything they can. You can also cast a spell from another school to make them burn their CD, then cast a spell from the school you actually want.

-learn to not get juked.
If you're on a healer, and hes at 100% HP, and so is his team, why the hell would you kick a heal's cast? stop it. More than likely, hes going to turn around and repentance/mind control/cyclone you. Even at 50% hp, wait for their cast to get to about 75% before kicking. Most heals now are instant cast, so you can very likely kill a "too pro for school" player as he fake casts himself to death.

-Coordination and timing is key.
Use your CD's and trinket's with your partner's. If you ever lose to a team who rushes in and blows everything all at once, you are bad. But don't worry, you can get better. You should always be ready to use your defenses when they use their offenses (thats why you have the skills you do) but rarely use them all at once.

Warrior abilities

These are the things that the warrior will be using to ruin your day:

Warrior - LvL 90 Talent
Instant 3 min cooldown
You transform into an unstoppable colossus for 20 sec, increasing your damage dealt by 20% and causing your attacks to generate 30% extra Rage.
While transformed you are immune to movement impairing effects.

Skull Banner
30 yd range
Instant 3 min cooldown
Throw down a war banner at your feet that increases the critical damage of party or raid members within 30 yards of the banner by 20%. Lasts 10 sec.
You can Intervene to your war banner.

Spell Reflection
Instant 25 sec cooldown
Requires Shields
Raise your shield, reflecting the next spell cast on you. Lasts 5 sec.

Safeguard
Warrior - LvL 75 Talent
25 yd range
Instant 30 sec cooldown
Run at high speed towards a party or raid member, removing all movement-impairing effects upon you, intercepting the next melee or ranged attack made against them and reducing their damage taken by 20% for 6 sec.
Replaces Intervene.

Glyph of Gag Order
Major Glyph
Classes: Warrior
Requires Level 25
Item Level 25
Use: Permanently teaches you this glyph.
Your Pummel and Heroic Throw also silence the target for 3 sec.

Recklessness
Instant 5 min cooldown
Grants your special attacks an additional 50% chance to critically hit. Lasts 12 sec.

Taste for Blood
Warrior - Arms Spec
Your Mortal Strike also enables the use of Overpower.
In addition, Overpower hits have a 30% chance to enable the use of an additional Overpower and increase the damage of your next Heroic Strike or Cleave within 15 sec by 100%. This effect stacks up to 5 times.

Die by the Sword
Warrior - Arms & Fury Spec
Instant 2 min cooldown
Requires Melee Weapon
Increases your parry chance by 100% and reduces damage taken by 20% for 8 sec.
Edited by Bigjuicy on 10/7/2012 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Don't get 3 shot

Warriors want to be near you; they like smacking your brains in with weapons. They have many abilities which allow them to do this, but its your job to use your abilities to not let this happen.

I admit, i have blown skull banner, avatar, recklessness, shockwave, berserker rage, DPS trinkets, die by the sword and killed players in seconds. Did they spirit link? did they bark skin? did they bubble? did the ice block? did they do ANYTHING other than trinket? no.

has this happened to you? are you guilty of saying, "I got hit so fast, i didn't know i needed to go defensive!" then you're at fault. If this happened to you, and you didn't have those CD's, then your partner should have peeled the warrior with stuns, clones, blind, poly, disarm.

if your partner was CC'd, then the game is working as intended.
You honestly think that you having no CD's, and your partner being out of the game, that you should survive a full onslaught of burst? So what, you expect your defensive CD's to make you a god? That's not how this game works.

It's your job to not over use your abilities when they aren't absolutely necessary. You need to WAIT to use these CD's until the warrior uses his.

How to counter the burst

The warrior will usually blanket his CDs with Die by the Sword to avoid a disarm. However, this ability only works from the front, so disarm from behind, or while he is stunned. The warrior is still vulnerable to stuns, silences, and everything that isn't a fear or snare/root. If you can survive for 6 seconds without him on you, you're going to live simply because of rage generation and GCD mechanics.

warriors are the best counter for warriors.

I save my burst until the other team tries to go for a kill. we will let ourselves get low, then CC them, they will trinket to try and score a kill, then we defensive up and heal. A few moments later, we run a CC train on one, then kill the other while they cant trinket, and ill blanket silence with gag order.

learn to be crafty.

A word on gag order

I didn't take gag order at first. I felt like it was going to make me lazy, and not care about getting juked. But honestly, with a 15 second CD on pummel, and so many casts being instant, and so many ways to move while casting, and become immune to interrupts, gag order is necessary in skilled pvp.
Edited by Bigjuicy on 10/7/2012 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Dispelling enrages off the warrior is also a very good strategy.
Edited by Bigjuicy on 10/10/2012 12:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
-Learn to fake cast.
If you're a caster and you really need to get a spell off, start casting it before you need to, then cancel it 1/4 of the way through. Mages are the hardest to juke, because bad mages don't focus, and good mages prioritize. However, melee will almost always kick anything they can. You can also cast a spell from another school to make them burn their CD, then cast a spell from the school you actually want.

... gag order? Warriors get rewarded for being bad now.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
This thread is going places. I can tell.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
10/07/2012 11:35 AMPosted by Bigjuicy
I admit, i have blown skull banner, avatar, recklessness, shockwave, berserker rage, DPS trinkets, die by the sword and killed players in seconds.

I've popped Ascendance, Elemental Mastery, Storm Lash Totem, Spirit wolves, Fire Elemental, and Bloodlust and cant kill players in seconds.

Just sayin...
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
LOL, am i the only holy priest that hasn't been killed by a warrior? hahahahaha what's the big deal really? i have a harder time with DK's.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
What the warrior wrote.
Reply Quote
Tell me how i am to mitigate your burst that takes 3 globals, when to trinket, expel harm and touch of karma fortifying brew takes 4 globals? And lets say the war is slow and not very skilled and i still get all that off, then he does 600k dmg in 5 seconds and bursts through it?
Reply Quote
I've popped Ascendance, Elemental Mastery, Storm Lash Totem, Spirit wolves, Fire Elemental, and Bloodlust and cant kill players in seconds.

Just sayin...

then they were either smart and blew defensives or LOS, or you just dont know how to mash lava burst for 15 sec

Obvious Spirit Wolves are Enhance. Also Lava burst crits for like 30k.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I admit, i have blown skull banner, avatar, recklessness, shockwave, berserker rage, DPS trinkets, die by the sword and killed players in seconds.

Just sayin...

CD stacking as a warrior is definitely one of the highest burst damage out puts in the game right now, next to BM hunters. But i play with a BM hunter, so i've learned through his raging on skype, how to counter BM.

that being said, i was talking about BG's. I really only did that kind of stuff in arena on the first day when people didn't have gear in the 1500 bracket. Taste for Blood 4+ stacks are pretty much required for a TRUE 2-3 shot without CC going up.

my pally in 2s got hit for 230k heroic strike. We didnt bubble, and i didnt go over to charge>disarm>shockwave. We were fighting a mirrior for 30min so i was glad it ended, honestly.

10/07/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Sky
Obvious Spirit Wolves are Enhance. Also Lava burst crits for like 30k.

UMMMM... i think its a talent now. i played a long-!@# 2s with resto shaman / feral druid last night and they popped wolves and almost got me. they ended up leaving though. they had too much CC for my CD's + trinket to kill anyone, and we had too many defensive's and instant heals for them to apply pressure with cyclone rotations.

if ANYTHING needs a nerf right now, its CC and utilities.

when that gets toned down, we will definitely have a reason to take a good look at damage.

im being 100% honest here; when fighting a team that knows how to kite and CC, my burst is negated. Catching them off guard is when i get kills. Druid, Warrior, Warlock, and Resto shaman comps are the ones that get played out the longest.
Edited by Bigjuicy on 10/7/2012 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
priests kind of suck right now unless you're shadow.
also, i brought up gag order at the end:

A word on gag order

I didn't take gag order at first. I felt like it was going to make me lazy, and not care about getting juked. But honestly, with a 15 second CD on pummel, and so many casts being instant, and so many ways to move while casting, and become immune to interrupts, gag order is necessary in skilled pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
actually priests dont suck right now. and i've owned warriors all day on my warlock even when they cast that second wind crap. lol
Edited by Helicopterer on 10/7/2012 12:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
warriors, lol, i havn't even noticed them in 90 bg's. are you guys serious? i can turn the tide alone in any BG in holy and flag carry. you all need more practice.
Reply Quote
Helicopyerer, you must be so pro with no 1550 acheive in arena. You should teach us all how to play cause you are so pro!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]