Guild Perks - Going Extinct?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
So I'm a big fan of 'quality of life' improvements in WoW. Have-Group-Will-Travel was a treat! Couldron bonuses were awesome for my guild! Faster ghosts really made things easier while working on progression!

With the rate these perks are being nerfed into inconsequence, I'm really starting to wonder what the point of still having them is?

At this rate, Gmail is the only really beneficial perk left. That and bountiful bags.

I *watch* people fly past me on flight points (how much was that speed increase supposed to be again?). Summoning stones are a pretty good punishment for lazy players ("Dude, we have five people to summon, get your butt OVER HERE.") Couldrons... well who uses them anymore, anyway, right?

I'm just waiting for gmail to turn into "only takes half an hour!" instead of instant. And bountiful bags to get nerfed into "every one hundred nodes, you get an extra item."

Seriously, at this rate, why bother wasting resources on the system? It seems pretty clear the developers do NOT like perks of any kind beyond very transient, minor things that you really wouldn't notice losing anyway.

I mean, seriously, 10% speed boost as a ghost? You're not really going to notice when the Nelf wisp shoots past you...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
guild perks are a lot like minor glyphs lol
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Honestly, my minor glyphs are a lot more fun/more functional than what a lot of the guild perks have been reduced to.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I miss Mass Summon. Js.
Not because I'm lazy (ok, a little bit), but because it was more convenient.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
While I understand the frustration, guild perks eventually turned in a whole different monster, with xp battery guilds and bigger ones gobbling up the smaller ones who couldn't level as fast. It ended up breaking up the community in a lot of ways it was supposed to fix.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
A lot of the perks need to be adjusted to discourage people from avoiding low-level guilds. However:

10/08/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Eralen
Honestly, my minor glyphs are a lot more fun/more functional than what a lot of the guild perks have been reduced to.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Guild Perks should be just that - perks. Not requirements. Blizzard said that they were noticing how hard it was for newer guilds to start up because if they weren't at X level, then it would be harder to raid/pvp effectively. It drives people away from starting new communities. By making them less staple, it makes it easier for people to start their own guild without risk of losing tons of features.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
My guild is/was one of the small ones. We cared enough about our identity to stick it out and keep going, and earned all the perks by working as a team.

Now they've been nerfed into oblivion.

It's... kinda insulting, basically.

I understand your points, Kimjongheals, but if a guild actually had a cohesive group or core identity, it would survive and not get gobbled up. Perks may have exaggerated the issue, but I don't think they were ever the cause.

I also don't see the problem going away after the nerfs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
To many players that were unguilded only wanted to join guilds that had these perks, as was put to me, "join yr guild? lmao, why would I want to join yr guild with no perks when I have multiple choices of guilds with ALL the perks" and I heard this numerous times.

I briefly got to exp HGWT on another server but since perks were just that perks I did not find it that hard to leave those "perks" behind in favor of returning to home server and lowly guild whose few remaining players like me did not give a hoot about perks, played the game for yrs without them, can simply continue doing so.

Sometimes for all the convenience some implentations offer they also have a very negative impact.
Reply Quote
19 Gnome Rogue
I would be happier if they gave Guild Leaders even more ways to tweak their guilds, guild faction, and bank access.

Blizz did an awesome job with the Guild Management tools and I would like to see more ability to even further customize one's guild and the way in which a member gains faction with that guild.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
My guild is/was one of the small ones. We cared enough about our identity to stick it out and keep going, and earned all the perks by working as a team.

Now they've been nerfed into oblivion.

It's... kinda insulting, basically.

I understand your points, Kimjongheals, but if a guild actually had a cohesive group or core identity, it would survive and not get gobbled up. Perks may have exaggerated the issue, but I don't think they were ever the cause.

I also don't see the problem going away after the nerfs.

We've worked to get the *really* good perks, just in time for them to be nerfed. So the large guilds who lvled to 25 ages ago had nearly a entire expansion of the perks as they were.

I expect to get to lvl 25 and then have mass rez removed, after we use it for a week.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I hate the guild perk system and would like those perks changed into something else, for example tied to player rep instead of guild exp.

Back in BC and Wrath, a big guild had maybe a few hundred, a small guild had a few dozen. This was fine, you had an actual option when looking for a guild.

Now you have players saying things like "my guild is small...." and you look and its got 300+ members. That honestly isnt small, not at least in terms of how guilds worked in the past. I never remember any guild "back in the day" having anywhere near the member cap, which is very common today.

What the guild perk system did was to kill small guilds that were more loosely held together. The truely small guilds that stuck it out and didnt migrate into a super guild were ones where people knew each other above and beyond the game. Everyone else, just kind of clumped together under fewer and fewer guilds. The community then suffers becasue you find yourself lacking any voice or real control over your raiding direction. Its difficult enough for a guild to manage one raid team, let alone 3 or 4.

I mean even though I liked a guild thats small, it became too much of a downside since before the latest Guild Exp patch, you couldnt really level a guild enough to attract the players you need to level your guild.

Now, some argue that you shouldnt want ppl in your guild just to have them there, that you should only invite folks you have some sort of connection with, being freinds or raidmates or whatever. The truth is that that doesnt work, and most all guilds are full of random players with little power.

Even if one of these "nobodies" wanted to leave and start their own guild becasue they are dissatisfied with how their current guild is, they still find it very difficult to get off the ground, by inability to find players, to difficulty leveling.

I will agree though that the Guild Leveling system has been changed for the better, its not so painfully slow to level a guild, but it is still very slow if you find yourself in a position where the potential member pool is shallow. That said I feel that the Blizzard descision to remove guild exp from Repeatable quests like Hodir is piss poor, considering how many abused the system with the lowby water turn in quest. Either they should have allowed some repeatable quests to count or they should have rolled back guilds that abused the system.
Edited by Allyeska on 10/8/2012 9:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Being a warlock, HGWT made me feel less useful, and while I know they're not the only reason it was removed, it makes me feel unique, especially since I'm the only lock in my raid group. :\

As for the quick and the dead, I assume that the world bosses had something to do with this, but this is just my thought.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The biggest problem I have with guild perks is that someone can just waltz in the front door and be able to use them. It's kinda obvious from the "LF L25 Guild" messages you see in trade chat that nobody really wants to join anything other than a guild that's already gone and done the work for them.

I'd rather have seen some kind of system to stop people getting access to the perks until they've put in a considerable amount of time or work themselves, than see the nerfs, but they certainly had to do something to stop people feeling a L25 guild was the only viable option.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Warrior
They just made it infinitely easier to level guilds. And really, if you like the people you're in a guild with it never mattered how low the level of it is.

People who join big guilds were always going to join big guilds, perks or no perks, while people who want to create their own because they think they thought of a clever name are always going to make their own.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Honestly, I think Blizzard should just scrap them. The raid feasts you could only get with them are now obsolete as are the cauldrons. It was a broken system from the start. It was meant to foster guild loyalty, but, as already mentioned, that didn't happen. People are still guild hopping because the "cool" benefits are available right away, but the community didn't get any better. If anything it got worse.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Yeah, they're pointless now for the most part. May as well take it out all together, since a lot of the nerfs make the associated "perks" a joke.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/08/2012 09:57 AMPosted by Negåtive
Nerf bountiful bags too. Anybody can join a level 25 guild, it's just annoying having to put up with the guild chat most of the time. Small guilds ftw.

Level 25 Guild=/Big guild.

Yeah, they're pointless now for the most part. May as well take it out all together, since a lot of the nerfs make the associated "perks" a joke.

No do not take them all out.
Edited by Valeus on 10/8/2012 10:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]