Sick of "comedians" like Colbert mocking WoW

90 Gnome Priest
Many of you probably saw Steven Colbert from the Colbert Report on Comedy Central last night talking about World of Warcraft. Well I just want to say I'm sick of this attitude these "comedians" have about WoW and online games in general, like it's some nerdy thing that shouldn't be taken seriously. Colbert was all like "Imma level 500 paladin in dungeon and dragons bla bla bla" to mock WoW, acting like that's a goofy thing to be.

The context for Colbert bringing up WoW was talking that woman running for congress who played WoW, and her opponent was using it against her saying she was a violent murderer because she played a rogue. See, that I don't mind as much because at least the people who think we're all psycho killers take us seriously, and make us look kind of edgy. But when I hear these "comedians" who know nothing about the game trying to be funny by mocking it like Steven Colbert was doing, it makes me sick.

If they knew the level that I, and many of the top level players around the world, perform at on this game, they would have a little more respect for it. Becoming a master at WoW requires the same dexterity and skill as something like being a virtuoso violinist-- which Colbert had on his show weeks earlier and was giving him some actual respect. Because I can tell you my fingers move a lot faster and a lot more accurately when playing WoW than someone playing a violin. A violinist has to concentrate on pretty much 1 thing, moving the stick back and forth over the strings in the right way-- something that just comes from repeating the same action over and over. With WoW, you have to perform actions with your hands just as fast, but you have to react to many things at once and deal with new situations every day.

All I'm saying is I wish people would stop acting like WoW is some nerdy hobby for people with no lives and quit mocking it, and realize that the level of skill and dexterity it takes to play at the highest level is just as respectful as something like playing an instrument or being an athlete.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Newsflash, popular opinion is that video games are nerdy, and nerds are mocked.

Do you seriously not know this yet?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/08/2012 10:59 PMPosted by Bedstain
If they knew the level that I, and many of the top level players around the world, perform at on this game, they would have a little more respect for it.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
You HAVE to be trolling.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
You realise that when Stephen Colbert makes fun of things, it's often because he respects them right?

Stop taking jokes seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
bout WoW and online games in general, like it's some nerdy thing that shouldn't be taken seriously.

They're video games, they shouldn't be taken serious. They're just a form of entertainment.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warrior
Colbert is the TV version of a "parody troll"
Why do you take him seriously?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Colbert had nothing to do with it, he's just a face reading a script. Yell at the writers.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I'm from Canada.

Stephen Colbert's making fun of WoW is nothing compared to what he's directed towards us.

And he showed up here and made fun of us to our faces in front of a large mob of sign holders chanting and screaming in the rain.

And we loved it.

BECAUSE WE GET JOKES
Reply Quote
1 Orc Hunter
Maybe it's time you grow up and stop caring what other people say or think of you.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
10/08/2012 11:02 PMPosted by Moontech
If they knew the level that I, and many of the top level players around the world, perform at on this game, they would have a little more respect for it.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
10/08/2012 11:05 PMPosted by Vakaur
Maybe it's time you grow up and stop caring what other people say or think of you.

If I could rephrase this in a less mocking way, I would.

Seconded.
Reply Quote
Colbert is a farce. He's actually a Democrat who pretends to be Conservative. Nothing he says is serious, that's what comedians do.

OP not sure if you're serious or not, but your violin analogy made me lol
Reply Quote
31 Blood Elf Monk
He wasn't mocking wow

He was mocking republicans using wow as an excuse to call someone "unsuitable for office"
Reply Quote
Link? I would like to behold this alleged outrage for myself.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Newsflash, popular opinion is that video games are nerdy, and nerds are mocked.

Do you seriously not know this yet?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Paladin
See, that I don't mind as much because at least the people who think we're all psycho killers take us seriously, and make us look kind of edgy

Really? I wouldn't enjoy being thought of as an unstable person, about to stab someone at any moment. But then again, I wouldn't spend any amount of time in the company of someone who would take such a caricature of a stereotype to heart.

All I'm saying is I wish people would stop acting like WoW is some nerdy hobby for people with no lives and quit mocking it, and realize that the level of skill and dexterity it takes to play at the highest level is just as respectful as something like playing an instrument or being an athlete.

Some studies have shown that playing video games do increase the hand eye coordination. I read about a few hospitals that have systems installed, because warming up with a little gaming makes the hand steadier for surgeries.

Gaming imparts a few other valuable skills as well. Leading a successful guild or raid team takes a certain set of important communication and organizational skills. The ability to cooperate and work as a team to accomplish a difficult challenge is invaluable as well. There are a lot of things one can take from WoW to the real world and vice versa.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]