Sick of "comedians" like Colbert mocking WoW

85 Human Warlock
10/09/2012 12:23 PMPosted by Ziryus
I just watched the episode, at what point did he say anything remotely insulting about WoW? Or any nerdy game for that matter.

i think the OP is trolling.
if he isnt...
Reply Quote
88 Troll Hunter
10/09/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Lopsydaisy
Some studies have shown that playing video games do increase the hand eye coordination. I read about a few hospitals that have systems installed, because warming up with a little gaming makes the hand steadier for surgeries.

Also, when I was in rehab, playing games on the Wii was encouraged.

You need a hug.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/09/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Merceñary
You need a hug.

Thank you dear. I'm ok though, I swear.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I loved the segment last night. I knew at the time, too, that some players might take offense to his words or the tone in which they were used. But to take offense is, I believe, to miss the point.

First and foremost, Colbert is a satirist, so there's virtually always a contradictory message in what he's saying. In the context of last night's segment, he was making light of games to point at a seemingly trivial political attack on a candidate running for state senate, whereby her character is called into question because of her World of Warcraft persona. Yes, Colbert used some random Warcraft lingo in a silly fashion for a laugh, but the real joke wasn't that the terms he used were from some geeky game -- he was pointing out the absurdity in the argument that this candidate should be feared for her potential inability to distinguish a game from reality. Notice that, after he drops Warcraft terms, he also draws ridiculous comparisons to people in the past losing touch with reality after playing too many board games.

I argue he wasn't mocking the WoW community, even while he was poking some fun at it. But remember, it's just a game. It's a game where people are collecting epic amulets and flying around on dragons. It's crazy and it's awesome, and Colbert wasn't attacking that. He's long shown pride in, and yet ridiculed himself for, his long nights playing D&D back in the day, or his intimate knowledge of Tolkien lore. Colbert is a true geek. If he's making fun of geeky things, you can probably bet he's stirring a much larger criticism through irony and satire.

Those are my thoughts on the matter since I first watched it last night. I was all smiles by the commercial break. ;)

You can watch the segment in which WoW is referenced on ColbertNation.com.
Edited by Zarhym on 10/9/2012 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
5 Gnome Mage
I loved the segment last night. I knew at the time, too, that some players might take offense to his words or the tone in which they were used. But to take offense is, I believe, to miss the point.

First and foremost, Colbert is a satirist, so there's virtually always a contradictory message in what he's saying. In the context of last night's segment, he was making light of games to point at a seemingly trivial political attack on a candidate running for state senate, whereby her character is called into question because of her World of Warcraft persona. Yes, Colbert used some random Warcraft lingo in a silly fashion for a laugh, but the real joke wasn't that the terms he used were from some geeky game -- he was pointing out the absurdity in the argument that this candidate should be feared for her potential inability to distinguish a game from reality. Notice that, after he drops Warcraft terms, he also draws ridiculous comparisons to people in the past losing touch with reality after playing too many board games.

I argue he wasn't mocking the WoW community, even while he was poking some fun at it. But remember, it's just a game. It's a game where people are collecting epic amulets and flying around on dragons. It's crazy and it's awesome, and Colbert wasn't attacking that. He's long shown pride in, and yet ridiculed himself for, his long nights playing D&D back in the day. Colbert is a true geek. If he's making fun of geeky things, you can probably bet he's stirring a much larger criticism through irony and satire.

Those are my thoughts on the matter since I first watched it last night. I was all smiles by the commercial break. ;)

Yeah, anyone who takes offense to something often takes it too seriously. Colbert is hilarious, and he's even said it himself. He's playing a character, and that isn't exactly his "true" self.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I could've sworn -- if Colbert doesn't play WoW, one of his writers does. I swear there're bits from some earlier shows where he makes in-jokes.
Edited by Custodian on 10/9/2012 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/09/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Zarhym
Notice that, after he drops Warcraft terms, he also draws ridiculous comparisons to people in the past losing touch with reality after playing too many board games.

Wait, he made fun of board games too?! That's just crossing a line, as I like playing Cataan.....
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
did you seriously compare master wow players to master violinists?
Reply Quote
98 Worgen Druid
10/09/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Moomoomania
California governer Chris Christie said it first (when he was called "tons of fun" by a comedian) "It's a comedian's job to make people laugh."

New Jersey governor...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10/09/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Moomoomania
California governer Chris Christie said it first (when he was called "tons of fun" by a comedian) "It's a comedian's job to make people laugh."

New Jersey Governor. California's Governor is Jerry Brown

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure he wasn't the first one to say that.
Edited by Dasffion on 10/9/2012 12:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This is priceless. Comparing a video game skill level to that of a virtuoso violinist. You obviously have never played the violin. It's more than repetitive hand movement with the bow on the strings over the bridge. It's about knowing where to put your fingers that are along the neck without looking. It's about knowing what the conductor wants you to do by his hand movements. It's about playing a song almost by memory, usually in coordination with many many more people playing either the same and different instruments. It's about knowing when you are out of tune just by sound. Pick up a violin, or hell any instrument that requires you to perform with limited use of your vision.

This is a game, and sadly for you it's being nerfed for the occasional player such as myself who has a full time job, a girlfriend and things to do that allows me to be in the real world for the majority of the time. Go outside, get some sun. Put down the hot pocket and mountain dew and do something that matters, like underwater basket weaving since your fingers are so nimble.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
10/09/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Swêêp
did you seriously compare master wow players to master violinists?

Yeah, so, what about it? You some world class championship violinist?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Colbert is a master troll. He's been trolling the GOP since he came on the air, and apparently trolled the h*ll out of the OP.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/08/2012 11:05 PMPosted by Dreiaorgana
Colbert had nothing to do with it, he's just a face reading a script. Yell at the writers.
The Daily Show and The Colbert Show aren't 100% scripted.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/09/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Pallynomial
Colbert had nothing to do with it, he's just a face reading a script. Yell at the writers.
The Daily Show and The Colbert Show aren't 100% scripted.

Not 100%, but they do get a lot of their material from their writers, and you could tell from the writer's strike that those writers where sorely missed.
Reply Quote
I decided to go and watch the segment after seeing Zarhym's comment above on MMOC Blue Tracker. I was having a hard time not laughing my !@# off when he got to the "invasion of North Africa from Brazil" and "ruthless hotel tycoon with no respect for anti-trust laws." That was the best three minutes of my day so far.

In other news, the OP either doesn't understand satire, is confusing making fun of politicians with making fun of gamers, or is trolling.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Its sad that Zarhym had to explain satire
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]