Healing Priest Hotfix (Incoming)

100 Tauren Shaman
HC
Not to nitpick, but given that Disc doesn't benefit as much from stacking as the other specs do, wouldn't you say you're pulling more of your weight in this situation than you would in, say, a stack AoE phase?

No. Because our AoE heal is a party healed centered on the person you target in the party. Pretty much always good for the melee pile, terrible for ranged in many circumstances.

Shaman have chain heal
Holy Priests have CoH
Holy Paladin's just do amazing things.
Monks cheat.

All of the above do not have grace and do not have DA. IE when they heal their target, their target gets healed for the full amount no ramp up or crit required.

Wrong, Chain heal requires riptide now. Using it without riptide is foolish, and it also requires thought. You don't just spam chain heal on whoever, you want maximize mastery use and you want to make sure riptide is active, and even ES if you're stacked on/near a tank.

Don't skew abilities to try and prove any point you try to make.
Edited by Sensations on 10/11/2012 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
10/11/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Twistedmind
What is interesting to me is that I'm under the opinion that it is very justifiable bringing our tools for tank healing in the new world of active mitigation, but the cutting edge guilds seem to be favoring holy paladins.

I addressed this, even if somewhat in jest, here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en-us/forum/topic/6794712668?page=8#158
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Wrong, Chain heal requires riptide now. Using it without riptide is foolish, and it also requires thought. You don't just spam chain heal on whoever, you want maximize mastery use and you want to make sure riptide is active, and even ES if you're stacked on a tank.

This is definitely true. Shaman AoE requires a lot of thought. CH targeting requires awareness of a lot of things.

I'd say the key differences are:

1) You can put Riptide up every 6 seconds, and it lasts 18. Penance has a 10-second cooldown, Grace lasts 15 seconds, and while it can be refreshed - unlike Riptide - it's unrealistic to expect to keep it up on more than 1-2 targets.

2) You don't particularly have anything else to do with your Riptide besides cast it on low-health targets. You wouldn't, for instance, use it as a burst heal on a tank who still has 10 seconds of the HoT left. Nor would you cast it on the boss for any reason.

3) Your single-target heals still work just fine on low-health targets regardless of Riptide status.

4) We can debate whether this is actually a good idea, but you can, if you like, glyph Riptide so that you can theoretically put the buff on any target you want it on at any time with a single cast.

edit:
5) I forgot to mention this at first, but it's worth mentioning: When you cast Riptide on a low-health target, even if they're not a tank, it's generally still worth casting CH on the same target afterwards for reasons other than maximizing your healing meter score. (In contrast, when you cast Penance on a non-tank target, you're basically done with that target unless they're a Voodoo Doll or equivalent.)
Edited by Kaels on 10/11/2012 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
10/11/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Kaels
I addressed this, even if somewhat in jest, here:

Yeah, I read through the post and laughed a little, but you did happen to say, "we'll call you in a couple tiers." I'm reading between the lines, but to the best of my speculation (and this is all theoretical), we are in agreement that this new active mitigation model means that in order to challenge tank healing, the damage needs to scale absurdly high on them in later tiers (think wrath style people dying in 1 second kind of thing).

And that story seems to be the case in 25 man raiding, judging by the healing assignments. We don't really have strict assignments in 10, so the ability to kind of half tank heal/half raid heal in a mediocre fashion would inherently have more value (opinion).
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
10/11/2012 02:01 PMPosted by Kaels
I believe the issue s/he was raising is that Disc doesn't have a raid CD that works when spread.

Valid concern.

@Anarri Okay, just make super sure that you're mentioning something that would convey I'm above average, without putting players down who are average. It would be more constructive to illustrate something to work on, instead of illustrating that "this guy can do it, why can't you?" Which, I know that's not how you mean what you're saying, but to these posters responding to you, that's what they are interpreting.

: /

I will say, on several occasions I've specifically stated, "he's doing something right, and priests everywhere would do well to find out exactly what he is and isn't doing differently than the majority."

But point taken.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah, I read through the post and laughed a little, but you did happen to say, "we'll call you in a couple tiers." I'm reading between the lines, but to the best of my speculation (and this is all theoretical), we are in agreement that this new active mitigation model means that in order to challenge tank healing, the damage needs to scale absurdly high on them in later tiers (think wrath style people dying in 1 second kind of thing).

And that story seems to be the case in 25 man raiding, judging by the healing assignments. We don't really have strict assignments in 10, so the ability to kind of half tank heal/half raid heal in a mediocre fashion would inherently have more value (opinion).

Yep, I think we agree.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Priest
Right now I've just gone holy and said screw it disc isn't worth the headache. Even with the increase to POH and POM and now AA working with spirit shell, it still just feels like I have way to many cds to micro manage and the mana regen on disc compared to holy is like night and day.

I gave up using disc yesterday and my healing went up dramatically in holy, I don't feel like I'm running into a brick wall repeatedly trying to prevent so much damage that I end up ooming myself in the process and leave the other healers hanging and holy just jibes so much better together.

That and being forced to use AA has turned me off completely from the spec.

Really is sad becuz I have loved playing disc for 2 expansions now as my main and I don't even care that I'm switching becuz holy just works so much better for me.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
I always preferred holy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
10/10/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Fleurs
I think you're seriously misjudging disc priests here. It's not that they're failing to adapt; it's that they're simply not given a way to adapt.

Not trying to pick fights here with you Kaels, but the moment even one priest says that they're able to, this becomes an invalid rebuttal. And a disc priest from Exodus already has claimed this.

Cool story. Exodus's logs had no healing priests.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well Ty for hearing us on are concerns and looking and taking actions to help us. Just remember guys this is a hotfix probably just meant to tide us over until the upcoming patch.
Question did this fix come into game yet? Becasue last night when i raided felt a hell of alot better than last week. Both in thoughtput and mana regen.
Reply Quote
23 Draenei Shaman
Updated the first post with the full list of hotfixes; cascade received a 25% buff as well.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
HC
10/12/2012 04:44 AMPosted by Lenalee

Not trying to pick fights here with you Kaels, but the moment even one priest says that they're able to, this becomes an invalid rebuttal. And a disc priest from Exodus already has claimed this.

Cool story. Exodus's logs had no healing priests.

If only paragon knew how bad disc was they might have gotten world first sooner. I mean 2 healing heroic fights with a disc? lol
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
10/12/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Sensations
If only paragon knew how bad disc was they might have gotten world first sooner. I mean 2 healing heroic fights with a disc? lol

Garajal was 3-healed with a disc priest, for reasons that should be obvious and are fairly specific to killing overtuned bosses when undergeared and overskilled.

WotE was, as far as I can tell, 2-healed with a holy priest. (He was definitely holy; I'm just not 100% sure of the 2-healing part and don't feel like staring intently enough at the video to be sure.)

Those are the only videos released, and no logs are public yet.

Where are you getting that any of their kills were 2-healed with a disc priest?
Edited by Kaels on 10/13/2012 3:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Prior to the hotfixes, both specs were really not up to par in 25 man. I wish people would refrain from snide comments (while saying that they dislike posts that have the same tone).

Remember that while priests were doing alright in 10 man, 25 man was another story.

Perhaps consider the venue or context first before posting.

edit: The "hardcore" top xx raider community is fairly small. While logs aren't usually posted this early, it's not hard to, ahem, find people who can show them to you ;)
Edited by Benea on 10/13/2012 6:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Fix us please :O

My shaman is being levelled to 90 and the toon I start raiding with will be my main healer. I would like it to be my priest but I just dont see it working out any time soon.

:(
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Prior to the hotfixes, both specs were really not up to par in 25 man. I wish people would refrain from snide comments (while saying that they dislike posts that have the same tone).

Remember that while priests were doing alright in 10 man, 25 man was another story.

Perhaps consider the venue or context first before posting.

+1

Really need to specify this with the current changes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]