Healing Priest Hotfix (Incoming)

90 Blood Elf Priest
APM
When will this buff go live. Because it was not there last night. Checked my logs from last week PoH is still the same
Reply Quote
Community Manager

Ok what about paladins now ? Casting 2-3 heals and going oom is ridiculous. Also HP generation is too slow.

Are you wearing your healing gear?

All jokes aside, paladins that are played well don't have serious mana issues. Paladins that are played poorly, do.

Which is as it should be.

Riôt

Your point about healing gear, while a joke, lends itself to something to consider in regard to where people are in gearing up. A lot of things get "tuned" for higher level item gear, or at least with the understanding that that gear will change things a bit for how people experience their state of play. That said though, it doesn't preclude people from sharing their experiences of what they like/don't like what's fun/what isn't fun etc. Numbers tell us how something is performing analytically, but numbers don't always convey whether something is fun or not.

People at this point are still getting new gear, refining their stat choices, filling in their "best" rotations, adding in their enchants, gems etc so, experiences may differ a bit based on those things.

When will this buff go live. Because it was not there last night. Checked my logs from last week PoH is still the same.

I don't have an ETA for you as of yet, but we'll make sure it gets updated in the Hotfix notes when it happens.
Edited by Nethaera on 10/10/2012 9:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't see any problem with paladins, either subjectively or in any publicly available data, for this tier. Later tiers are a concern, because HR is issue, but I don't think it can really be demonstrated right except in theory.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
APM

Are you wearing your healing gear?

All jokes aside, paladins that are played well don't have serious mana issues. Paladins that are played poorly, do.

Which is as it should be.

Riôt

Your point about healing gear, while a joke, lends itself to something to consider in regard to where people are in gearing up. A lot of things get "tuned" for higher level item gear, or at least with the understanding that that gear will change things a bit for how people experience their state of play. That said though, it doesn't preclude people from sharing their experiences of what they like/don't like what's fun/what isn't fun etc. Numbers tell us how something is performing analytically, but numbers don't always convey whether something is fun or not.

People at this point are still getting new gear, refining their stat choices, filling in their "best" rotations, adding in their enchants, gems etc so, experiences may differ a bit based on those things.

When will this buff go live. Because it was not there last night. Checked my logs from last week PoH is still the same.

I don't have an ETA for you as of yet, but we'll make sure it gets updated in the Hotfix notes when it happens.

awesome we all appreciate buffs. Thanks for the heads up
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
lets also remember that all healing and shielding in pvp was reduced by %15.....so most of that buff is sunk (for pvpers)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Yeah... I'm not sure why they felt the need to nerf Disc which is arguably the worst healing spec in PvP right now through a nerf to absorbs...

Oh I know... its because they wanted to nerf shadow. Derp.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks for the update Nethaera. We are about to start raiding in around a week maybe more so I hope this change is in place. Now I have to decide if going back to Disc is worth it or if I should stick with Holy... I was almost comfortable with my choice to go holy and now indecision again lol.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
Yeah... I'm not sure why they felt the need to nerf Disc which is arguably the worst healing spec in PvP right now through a nerf to absorbs...

Probably has more to do with other classes absorbs and disc just happened to be affected as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Even a small, bandaid buff like that is better than nothing! Hopefully more fixes come soon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/10/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Jazeraca
Even a small, bandaid buff like that is better than nothing! Hopefully more fixes come soon.

Until I see the results I am hesitant to criticize them but on the surface it does seem a little ham handed. It might just be their initial quick fix until they can really go over what needs to be done in terms of tuning things up and down for balance or making some mechanic changes.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

Probably has more to do with other classes absorbs and disc just happened to be affected as well.

Thats what I was thinking to be honest.

Shadow, Mages, Warlocks are what I think are the cause...

I'm not going to talk about Disc PvP as there are plenty of Glads who can do it infinitely better than I could.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I still understand the change to prayer of mending because it's the only smart heal we have and smart heals are what's giving other classes more hps. I don't understand the change to Prayer of Healing, because a 25% boost up to the number is a 43.75% boost to the spell if you're in chakra sanctuary. That would push you into sanctuary full time while raiding because the new renew rolling style we're using in serenity would just pale by comparison. That would also push holy off the charts in hps.

Discipline might get a boost to their aoe, but their absorbs are still making up ~25% of their healing done on fights with heavy pw:s usage http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0lmseq2w3t9bf79w/sum/healingDone/?s=1319&e=1660
So if Prayer of Healing goes up and PW:S goes down, discipline will be spamming prayer of healing ala cata style.

And also, why would anybody take divine star if prayer of healing does more hps?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/10/2012 10:08 AMPosted by Twistedmind
And also, why would anybody take divine star if prayer of healing does more hps?

Because it's a) instant and b) (relatively) cheap.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/10/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Tiriél
Because it's a) instant and b) (relatively) cheap.

And it's the only one on that Tier that doesn't suffer from diminished healing based on distanced traveled. It just has the smallest area of effect to compensate.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
This POH change reminds me strongly of the Cata POH change. I really have my reservations on the outcome of this.

Priest fixes will have to be mechanic-related, changing the output of two spells that both spec uses just seems to feel like a hammy bandaid to quell the masses while not addressing any of the main concerns - like regen. It doesn't matter if our spells hit for more if we simply do not have the regen to keep up with the fight.

I also predict a nerf after the buff (just like it did in Cata).
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this in this thread or if they did, I missed it. I believe one of the biggest problems with disc's throughput is actually the paladin mastery. When paladins were given an absorb effect it really cut into the effectiveness of the absorb niche Disc filled. This is due to the way absorbs work, the smallest being used first. Invariably paladins will get their absorbs used first, then disc's divine aegis, then the larger absorbs of PW:S and SS.

Paladins have strong single target healing, great AoE, and then now absorb mechanics. For balance sake, paladins should have been given a HoT mastery like other healing specs in my humble opinion.

@Twisted, you would use Divine Star when stacked up because it's instant, and can also be used while you are backing up or strafing unlike PoH,
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
10/10/2012 09:21 AMPosted by Kaeladin
I don't see any problem with paladins, either subjectively or in any publicly available data, for this tier. Later tiers are a concern, because HR is issue, but I don't think it can really be demonstrated right except in theory.

And you would be right.

Paladin's I think will suffer spirit/mana regen in later tiers when more spamming is promoted. DP doesn't scale. :/
90 Undead Priest
Don't see why anyone's complaining about this.

I've seen thread after thread on here of people stating that the throughput for both priest specs is low in a pretty across-the-board manner for priest spells. Low throughput and poor mana regen have been the theme of so many posts, not just poor mana regen alone. Someone mentioned that PoH was already a high percentage of their heals, as if that meant PoH was okay. But that's just an indication of what you're using most, not that what you're using most is up to par with other classes' bread and butter spells.

PoH and PoM probably both needed a buff. That doesn't mean that single-target issues aren't also being looked at by the developers. Perhaps they feel those issues require more careful consideration because larger and more complicated changes are necessary.

Cause this isn't a well thought out fix. This is a fix similar to Disc Priest's PW:S buff that got buff/nerfed 6 times in the period of a week. There are mechanical issues with the priest class and buffing our party heal (the only party heal in the game) and an RNG heal that is only garunteed to heal 1 useful target (under most conditions), is just silly.

It isn't silly or poorly thought out if PoH and PoM were under-performing for the role they were supposed to be filling. PoH has always been an important heal, on fights with lots of raid damage it can be expected to see lots of use. And PoM is a fine spell mechanically, under heavy raid damage fights it's a great spell to have. You make it sound like they need to re-think us having a party-based heal or like prayer of mending is bad because we only personally direct the initial target, but it's not like they're going to switch us to using chain heal.

References to patches in the distant past where something was buffed or nerfed multiple times in a short period don't really mean anything here. Someone could just as easily say, "This hotfix is similar to the X patch" that buffed some random heal which remained at that buffed level for a long time afterwards because it was an appropriate fix.

I look forward to seeing what the buff to PoH and PoM accomplish. That doesn't mean that there aren't still some big issues. But I don't think the developers are saying the hotfix solves the whole situation in their eyes. Single-target healing throughput and mana issues with priests are probably still being assessed, and shielding issues are probably being looked at very hard.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/10/2012 10:19 AMPosted by Staccato
Paladin's I think will suffer spirit/mana regen in later tiers when more spamming is promoted. DP doesn't scale. :/

Yeah. I am in the camp that believes Pallies will have their round of hotfixes in a later tier/raid. For now their faults are being covered up by how efficiently they can heal MGV.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]