Pandaren who aren't monks

73 Worgen Priest
Trainees on the Wandering Island are monks
Ji Firepaw is a monk.
Aysa Cloudsinger is a monk
Arguably Master Shang Xi was a monk
Most pandaren artwork features monks
Taran Zhu is a monk
Chen Stormstout is a Brewmaster, which overlaps with monks.
90% of non-civilian pandaren npcs in Pandaria are monks.

What I am trying to get at is that monks overshadow all other classes in pandaren lore. Blizzard kind of went overboard with the whole kung fu panda theme, even if Pandaren came out before KFP they have been certainly influenced by it (a little too much). Surely there has to be some non-monk Pandaren out there in lore? It is awfully lonely leveling up a non monk pandaren, and I'm sure my character is experiencing an identity crisis =P.

So, where do non monks fit in within pandaren society? There is no mention of the arcane or light in Pandaria concerning pandaren, and the way I see it warriors and rogues are non existant compared to monks. They are even lacking in shaman! I feel like all the fighters the pandaren have are monks, which is kind of rediculous imo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I don't think you understand what being a monk actually means.

A monk is someone who lives a life entirely dedicated to their spiritual path. In this case, that is physical discipline and combat, similar to China's Shaolin Monks.

Just because you see, say, a Pandaren farmer throw out a few punches, it doesn't mean they're a monk. It means they know some martial arts. Which is a big part of the Pandaren culture, because of how important it was for them to learn to fight without weapons.

In short, monks are spiritual. Martial Artists just know a few moves. Kind of like Americans and boxing. Pretty much any westerner can get into a boxing stance because we've been raised to see it on posters, movies, tv....everywhere. We all know by heart how a boxer punches. Same with Pandaren---they understand their fighting culture, and fighting is a big part of their culture.
Reply Quote
I do agree however that other classes are less represented in pandaria

For instance, I remade my shaman to be a pandaren. Playing her as a Spiritwalker, someone who excels at Pandarian culture, specifically ancestor worship
Reply Quote
73 Worgen Priest
I don't think you understand what being a monk actually means.

A monk is someone who lives a life entirely dedicated to their spiritual path. In this case, that is physical discipline and combat, similar to China's Shaolin Monks.

Just because you see, say, a Pandaren farmer throw out a few punches, it doesn't mean they're a monk. It means they know some martial arts. Which is a big part of the Pandaren culture, because of how important it was for them to learn to fight without weapons.

In short, monks are spiritual. Martial Artists just know a few moves. Kind of like Americans and boxing. Pretty much any westerner can get into a boxing stance because we've been raised to see it on posters, movies, tv....everywhere. We all know by heart how a boxer punches. Same with Pandaren---they understand their fighting culture, and fighting is a big part of their culture.

I was never thinking all pandaren martial artists were monks. Warcraft makes it pretty clear that monks are their own class, with fighting abilities etc. I was talking about the over representation of the monk class in pandaren culture. Even if martial arts was a huge part of pandaren culture (and it is), I'd like to see more pandaren using the arcane or crossbow to attack than just martial arts. Does every pandaren fighter have to be a master martial artist? I don't think so. Blizzard didn't even provide us with any lore on how pandaren were suddenly cool with the arcane even after shrouding themselves in the mists after the Sundering. Only lore is in the defunct RPG guide about wardancers and geomancers, which we see little of.
Reply Quote
Well, the Shado-Pan has a lot of archers... and the Golden Lotus has warriors I believe..
Reply Quote
99 Troll Hunter
I actually think Master Shang Xi is just that - A master. He's lived so long that he's dabbled in every single type of combat or magic, even if he only specializes in one.

There is also a Monk on the Peak of Serenity that says she tried other methods of healing (Druidic and Shamanistic) before turning to the Mists.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Aren't there a whole ton of priests and mages in the Jade temple?

Also, the concept art depicts the Red Crane group of Pandaren as magi.
Reply Quote
I think it'd be more accurate to say that Monk is the prefered class of Pandaren, but not their only class. As Sky and Pyro have pointed out, there are examples of other classes out there... just not a terrible lot
Reply Quote
73 Worgen Priest
Suitable enough.

I am thinking of leveling a pandaren shaman and roleplaying with him, but monks seems so much more attractive at the moment because of their lore and iconicness (is that a word?), despite my preference for the shaman class.

So I am in a bind and clearly frusterated. Never knew the concept art had magi, I just assumed they were just scholars. And pyro makes a point, but Masters have to be a master at something, most likely he is a monk considering the distance from the training grounds.
Reply Quote
Probably, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know a thing or two about other stuff

Like Mister Miyagi.. master martial artist and master handyman
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]