How can you tell the rarity of a wild pet?

27 Pandaren Monk
How can you tell the rarity of a wild pet before you capture it? I have tried to keep an eye on the frame border around the pet portrait when you fight it, but the color (sometimes silver, sometimes gold) seems to be irrevelant to its rarity. The only way I can tell right now is to read its stats during the fight. If it's below par, then I wouldn't try to waste my time capturing it. But this is not reliable when the pet level gets higher and the stats become more varied.

Is there a better way to do this, so that I don't have to waste time capturing it to see if it's rare?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There is an addon at wowinterface.com called pet battle quality glow which shows the rarity of both the pets you are using and the rarity of the opposing pets. Other than that the only way is by looking at the stats compared to similar pets of that level.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
There's a macro you can run, too:

/run for i=1,C_PetBattles.GetNumPets(2) do SELECTED_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(C_PetBattles.GetName(2,i).." - ".._G["BATTLE_PET_BREED_QUALITY"..C_PetBattles.GetBreedQuality(2,i)]) end
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
I like the mystery of eyeballing the stats and guessing ... trying to guess the rarity has become a little minigame in itself.

( it's possible that I am far too easily amused :) )
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Phaedra put together a real nice FAQ that answers this and a lot of other questions about pet battles. Hopefully it will be stickied soon. Check it out, and request sticky while you're there!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I used the macro posted by Ryxl a few times, it works great but I eventually scrapped it since I enjoy the "thrill of the find" more than instant knowledge on all pets in a battle. Finding that rare through a lucky guess or educated guess on stats is much more fun (to me) than just seeing from a glance which is rare, uncommon, common, etc.
Reply Quote
24 Dwarf Hunter
If I'm looking for a specific rare, I start capturing some and looking at the stats. If I get a green, I know when a rare comes long by its higher stats.

I often just look at the stats of my three wild pet opponents and can predict the rare by its much greater stats than the other two.
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Monk
10/02/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Vasala
There is an addon at wowinterface.com called pet battle quality glow which shows the rarity of both the pets you are using and the rarity of the opposing pets. Other than that the only way is by looking at the stats compared to similar pets of that level.

That's exactly what I need!
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
If the frame border is gold, that should mean that, that pet has first attack. I say should cause sometimes funky things happen and either first attack doesnt happen or alternativly it does happen but abilities that proc an extra strike from first attack dont happen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]