Renewing Mists

90 Pandaren Monk
This shouldn't stop with Renewing Mists and should apply to ALL Smart heals such as Wild Growth, Renewing Mists, Circle of Healing (Holy Priest instant cast aoe heal) etc.

I was healing a dungeon earlier, I love healing as a Monk, tanking is also fun. Healing is my true favorite though especially with Chi Wave (I love watching it go, I'm like a little kid about it even though I'm legally an adult who is mature aside from small things like this). I was casting Renewing Mists and it would spread once and stop. Why did it stop? I know, because my raid frames don't show that the Warlock's Succubus had kept taking it when it spread (I don't want pets to show). Smart heals with limits like this should NOT go to pets. I don't want to use my healing to heal a pet that's not mine. Hunters and Warlocks can heal their own pets, or if I want to, I'll throw the heal to it myself.

It irritates me especially because the buff that "spreads" Renewing Mists has a 20 second duration and if there is nobody close enough, it will wear off, but if there's a pet or anyone nearby, it will spread back and forth. I don't mind that when players are getting my Mists but when a Pet is getting the "spread" twice in ONE cast, it's a waste. This will further make me mad when I start needing everyone blanketed with Mists but they won't hit players and I'm thinking, "What the Hell is this?" I love being a Monk (Brewmaster and Mistweaver), and this flaw won't stop me, but it does make me mad considering what pets do to healing sometimes.

No, I'm sure wipes don't happen because a Tiger name Tito took a Wild Growth that a player missed out on and caused this player to die, but still, this is an annoyance that wastes Renewing Mists "spread charges"

Aside from that, LOVING IT! Thank you Blizzard for the amazement that is Chi Wave. I love to just watch it go! I sit in Orgrimmar sometimes and spam get Chi and target something far away just to watch Chi Wave jump!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Agreed, however I come from raiding as a Disc priest pre-MoP, and I can tell you that it's an occupational hazard.

We've been complaining to Blizz about it since Atonement was introduced in the pre-Cata patch (not sure if other classes have smart heal mechanics which are strongly affected by this situation) and while things have improved *somewhat* - I mean, at least, GC is on record in the Beta Feedback thread as having said improvements have been made - it continues to be a bone of contention for Disc & Mistweavers.

The moral of the story is: never rely on a smart-heal to heal someone who will die if they don't get the smart-heal. Mistweavers do a much better job of "saturating" players in smart heals than Disc priests do, but... yeah. Just never rely on smart heals in *serious* situations. Smart heals are for not-terribly-serious situations.

The most important implication this holds for us is that we *must* consistently hit RM on cooldown, whether a player needs a HoT or not, because we *must* keep the group as thoroughly blanketted with RM as possible. Not so much for the healing RM does (though it's not negligible!) but of course so that Uplift will do its job whenever it's needed, whether we know the damage is incoming or whether it takes us by surprise.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Agreed, however I come from raiding as a Disc priest pre-MoP, and I can tell you that it's an occupational hazard.

We've been complaining to Blizz about it since Atonement was introduced in the pre-Cata patch (not sure if other classes have smart heal mechanics which are strongly affected by this situation) and while things have improved *somewhat* - I mean, at least, GC is on record in the Beta Feedback thread as having said improvements have been made - it continues to be a bone of contention for Disc & Mistweavers.

The moral of the story is: never rely on a smart-heal to heal someone who will die if they don't get the smart-heal. Mistweavers do a much better job of "saturating" players in smart heals than Disc priests do, but... yeah. Just never rely on smart heals in *serious* situations. Smart heals are for not-terribly-serious situations.

The most important implication this holds for us is that we *must* consistently hit RM on cooldown, whether a player needs a HoT or not, because we *must* keep the group as thoroughly blanketted with RM as possible. Not so much for the healing RM does (though it's not negligible!) but of course so that Uplift will do its job whenever it's needed, whether we know the damage is incoming or whether it takes us by surprise.

I would never really rely 100%, but in a way, RM is very important considering for times when everyone is spread out, it's the basis for aoe healing. I don't know any other class that has aoe like that:( Even paladins got their AoE extremely improved for aoe!

Renewing Mists in the low levels is number 1 heal for me and I rarely use Enveloping Mists:( I like it, but I don't need it yet cause Chi Wave and Renewing Mists does it all!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
The only reason ReM should be spreading to a pet is if it has the lowest amount of HP amongst all nearby targets. This can easily happen in a 5 man but once you get into raids, etc. it ceases to be an issue. Sometimes it'll spread to a pet and their isn't anything you can do about it, but overall it isn't the end of the world.

I agree with you about Chi Wave, and if you think THAT'S fun look for the Priest level 90 talent called 'Cascade'. It's so pretty....
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Haha. I know exactly what you mean. I was doing some dailies this morning, killing an alligator. A mage had gone afk standing next to the mob i was fighting and was at about 25% health. You could see my chi wave hit the alligator and then back and forth to the mage, healing him up
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I would never really rely 100%, but in a way, RM is very important considering for times when everyone is spread out, it's the basis for aoe healing. I don't know any other class that has aoe like that:( Even paladins got their AoE extremely improved for aoe!

Renewing Mists in the low levels is number 1 heal for me and I rarely use Enveloping Mists:( I like it, but I don't need it yet cause Chi Wave and Renewing Mists does it all!

Absolutely. RM is incredibly important. Neglecting its use sets you up for sadpanda times when AoE damage goes out.

Its' smart-heal wandering nature is infuriating (and can be stress-out-inducing, lol), but... it's what we have. The best we can do is choose our RM targets strategically, and use it as liberally as we can, then patch people up afterwards who didn't get Uplifted depsite our best efforts...

I feel that Mistweavers who go the long road with their monk will end up developping a very good sense of "how" it chooses to wander (when glyphed and unglyphed), and be able to encourage it to blanket properly via their RM target selection.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Glyph it and pets basically never get the spread. The reason they can when it isn't glyphed is that a pet standing right next to their master is the closest target, and if everyone's at full HP, that's who gets the spread. Pets are almost never the farthest target within 40 yards.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
This is definitely frustrating in heroics, given how crucial it is for us to have RM on every party member so we can Uplift during heavy aoe phases. Having it blow charges on a pet that already gets huge aoe dmg reduction is painful. I need it going to actual players.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/04/2012 09:25 PMPosted by Daerius
Glyph it and pets basically never get the spread. The reason they can when it isn't glyphed is that a pet standing right next to their master is the closest target, and if everyone's at full HP, that's who gets the spread. Pets are almost never the farthest target within 40 yards.

Actually this only works with Warlocks! I have it glyphed and it is better because then it can get to anyone anywhere. With Hunters and some Locks, their pet will be as far away as melee dps, so its possible that a ranged dps gets it and then it travels to a pet. I just wish they would get rid of Pets receiving indirect heals like this. If you wanna let em recieve Prayer of Healing (no cap or reduced effect for targets healed), fine, just stop giving them my Wild Growth and Renewing Mists!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Keeping a five man renewed constantly requires two rolling casts of RM over its duration.

Keeping a six man renewed constantly requires two rolling casts of RM over its duration.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Keeping a five man renewed constantly requires two rolling casts of RM over its duration.

Keeping a six man renewed constantly requires two rolling casts of RM over its duration.

Too bad this is irrelevant when there are no RMs up yet, and the group just took an aoe hit, and I have to sit and wait for RM to spread, and it loses charges on pets so I can't even heal half the dps.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Not always, because it does spread to targets who already have it sometimes if theyre taking damage. So sometimes, I'll cast it and only 2 Players have it because pets like to take the charges! It hasn't caused any wipes yet because I haven't done anything where there's huge aoe damage to the party, and if it happens and pets are the downfall, I will not be a happy Panda! and right now, I'm a sad Panda because the stupid servers are down:(
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I got destroyed in Mogushan Palace earlier because of al ot of things, but RM hitting the ghoul and yak was a major factor in it. Everything monk has seems pretty awful honestly and I'm not entirely sure what I should do about it. In fact, it seems so bad that I feel like I must be doing it horribly wrong.

I kinda wish RM was like.. automatic or something honestly. An aura that pulses every 8 seconds maybe. It feels weird to have to cast it every 8 seconds no matter what is happening.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
it does spread to targets who already have it sometimes if theyre taking damage.

It will only spread to targets that already have it if all targets in range (whether they are at full HP or not) already have it as well. It will never spread to a target that already has one of your Renewing Mist HoTs active if there's another target within range, regardless of health level, that doesn't have one active. Priority is:

Closest target within 20 yards at <100% HP without your Renewing Mist active.
Closest target within 20 yards at 100% HP without your Renewing Mist active.
Closest target within 20 yards at <100% HP that has not be targeted by this cast of Renewing Mist.
Closest target within 20 yards at 100% HP that has not be targeted by this cast of Renewing Mist.
Closest target within 20 yards (can bounce between 2 targets, but can't hit the same target twice in a row).

If glyphed, replace "Closest target within 20 yards" with "Farthest target within 40 yards".
Edited by Daerius on 10/8/2012 12:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]