help with boomkin

90 Troll Druid
hi, i've been a boomkin since December and ended up doing really well in Dragon Soul. I feel like I'm starting all over again with these changes. My guild and I killed the Spirit Kings last night, and I'm trying to figure out what I can do differently. The other boomkin is quite good, and I have decent gear, although it's not great yet. I just feel like I could be doing a lot more, even if I follow all mechanics.
Here are some logs if anyone could help out,

It looks to me I may have dotted too much,

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/v5p0qjhaw8d7z80y/sum/damageDone/

my damage:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/v5p0qjhaw8d7z80y/details/11/

quite horrible really, and I know I could do better. If someone could help me read these logs I would super duper appreciate it.
Reply Quote
So basically, yea you're dotting way too much.

I won't go through and tell you what you did wrong, I'll just tell you how to do it the right way and hopefully it'll help.

Start off the fight 25 energy away from a Lunar Eclipse. Pop Starfall. Push into Lunar Eclipse with a Starsurge. Cast Sunfire first, then Moonfire because Lunar Shower will make Moonfire hit slightly harder.

Some might say to start off the fight with your dots, but this way is better since you're only one cast away.

Now you're sitting at a full Lunar Eclipse. Cast Starfire until your Starfall you popped at the beginning runs out. Cast Incarnation and Nature's Vigil, these should be macro'd together since they're the same cooldown, (and Berserking since you're a Troll) and then Pop your Starfall for the second time. Keep pushing towards a Solar Eclipse.

Once you hit this Solar Eclipse, your second Starfall should have ended. Now cast Celestial Alignment (it's very important you hit a Solar Eclipse before casting this), cast Moonfire which will also apply Sunfire, and then pop your Starfall, for the third time.

Cast Wrath through the duration of Celestial Alignment, and right when Celestial Alignment is about to end, apply the dots one more time because they are super buffed. Your Incarnation+Nature's Vigil should have ended in the middle of your Celestial Alignment, by the way.

Now continue casting Wrath until you hit Lunar and pop your Starfall again, for the fourth time now.

Do this again during the Bloodlust phase, which is normally towards the end. And of course, always pre-pot.

Also, you're way under hit cap. Try tossing that Mastery cog for a Spirit one and possibly the haste one for a hit one. Put Expertise on your gloves, it gives us hit now. And get the Int/Spirit leg enchant also. Get as much as you can out of enchants and gems, and then forge to hit.

Put your mushrooms up at the beginning, and save them for a movement phase when you're in Solar Eclipse or Celestial Alignment.
Edited by Calebcake on 10/5/2012 6:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
You killed a boss in Mogu'shan Vaults with 12% hit? How did you hit the boss? lol
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Now you're sitting at a full Lunar Eclipse. Cast Starfire until your Starfall you popped at the beginning runs out. Cast Incarnation and Nature's Vigil, these should be macro'd together since they're the same cooldown, (and Berserking since you're a Troll) and then Pop your Starfall for the second time. Keep pushing towards a Solar Eclipse.

Once you hit this Solar Eclipse, your second Starfall should have ended. Now cast Celestial Alignment (it's very important you hit a Solar Eclipse before casting this), cast Moonfire which will also apply Sunfire, and then pop your Starfall, for the third time.

Cast Wrath through the duration of Celestial Alignment, and right when Celestial Alignment is about to end, apply the dots one more time because they are super buffed. Your Incarnation+Nature's Vigil should have ended in the middle of your Celestial Alignment, by the way.

Just curious what your reasoning is for doing it this way instead of using CA right after lunar? SF does way more DPS than wrath and it is a much better spell to cast during CA, regardless of when you use CA, but I don't see the advantage in wasting some Inc/NV uptime getting to solar and then skipping past it. I'm just wondering if it's some fight specific thing, since I haven't done the raids yet.

Also, any haste buff such as berserking should be saved for CA. Using it during a normal eclipse doesn't help you since there will always be the same number of eclipsed casts. Using it during CA does help you because CA is timed so you can get more CA-buffed casts by using it then.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I do start fights right before lunar begins. I use CA right after lunar usually. I'm learning at the moment to time all my CDs correctly.

Thanks for the replies though, I actually was trying things out last night and replaced my 600 spirit gem with a mastery gem. I was at around 14% + hit when I killed the boss. The other moonkin is also below hit cap I believe. But yes, I need to hit the cap.

I'll replace it with spirit and see whatelse I can fit in. I reduced my haste last night as well, as I was at over 3101.

I figured I dotted way too much, that happened back in DS when I wasnt doing too well, time to relearn some things.

Thanks for the macro tip, as well as your explanations and thoughts on rotation.

I suppose I am a little concerned that after I use all my CDs and when they go away, my dps goes down. Sustaining a good amount of dps after everything seems like I just have a hard time with that. I'll get my druid up to par with hit and get back to you guys

thanks a lot for the replies though it means a lot
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
alright awesome now I'm at .11% chance to miss elites+
Reply Quote

Just curious what your reasoning is for doing it this way instead of using CA right after lunar? SF does way more DPS than wrath and it is a much better spell to cast during CA, regardless of when you use CA, but I don't see the advantage in wasting some Inc/NV uptime getting to solar and then skipping past it. I'm just wondering if it's some fight specific thing, since I haven't done the raids yet.

Also, any haste buff such as berserking should be saved for CA. Using it during a normal eclipse doesn't help you since there will always be the same number of eclipsed casts. Using it during CA does help you because CA is timed so you can get more CA-buffed casts by using it then.

I suppose I was wrong on the Berserking, save it for CA. But my reasoning for hitting the Solar and then going into CA is that once your CA ends you can go right into a Lunar and have Starfall up again. If you're casting Berserking during CA then yea cast Starfire. I just cast Wrath because it's the same spell I'll be casting when CA ends to push a Lunar Eclipse.
Reply Quote
I do start fights right before lunar begins. I use CA right after lunar usually. I'm learning at the moment to time all my CDs correctly.

Thanks for the replies though, I actually was trying things out last night and replaced my 600 spirit gem with a mastery gem. I was at around 14% + hit when I killed the boss. The other moonkin is also below hit cap I believe. But yes, I need to hit the cap.

I'll replace it with spirit and see whatelse I can fit in. I reduced my haste last night as well, as I was at over 3101.

I figured I dotted way too much, that happened back in DS when I wasnt doing too well, time to relearn some things.

Thanks for the macro tip, as well as your explanations and thoughts on rotation.

I suppose I am a little concerned that after I use all my CDs and when they go away, my dps goes down. Sustaining a good amount of dps after everything seems like I just have a hard time with that. I'll get my druid up to par with hit and get back to you guys

thanks a lot for the replies though it means a lot

Your DPS will go down after that. I start the fight with such huge burst that I've ripped aggro off our tank on Feng the Accursed. I normally hit 85-100k for the first 30 seconds or so and then my DPS levels off to around 70-75k.

We are a class based all around our burst. Play to this. Time your spells and your Eclipses and always make sure you know what percent Bloodlust is coming at, because if you have any of your big burst moves on cool down you've basically failed.

Also, don't gem for Mastery. Always gem for Int, Crit or Spirit. That covers all three colors.
Edited by Calebcake on 10/5/2012 5:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I don't mean to knock Caleb but I think the best opening is this:

Start 25 away from Lunar
Pre-pull pot
Cast Starfall
Cast Wrath (*not* Starsurge as it would be a waste of an uneclipsed SS)
Pop Dmg CDs and trink
Pop Incarnation and Nature's Vigil (careful here re: aggro!)
Sunfire>Moonfire
Starfire until at 0 energy
Pop Celestial Alignment
Redot
Starfire until <2s left on CA/Inc, reapply dots
continue rotation as usual...

One simple thing might be to talk to / stand next to your teammate (Polyman) - he seems to be doing quite well and seeing as how gear levels are usually pretty close at the beginning of an expansion, the likely cause of most of the performance disparity is probably button pushing (assuming u are geared/ench/reforged/gemmed correctly).

Couple of things i noticed:

#1 your teammate (Poly) has *much* more Starsurge damage than you. It could be that he has more crit and is getting more SS procs (this wasnt the case, both his and your dot crits were ~22%), or it could be that you are holding your SS procs (or forgetting to cast SS when its off CD) - you cast 4 less SS than him (not a huge deal tho) - not sure what it might be but SS is the hardest hitting direct cast spell and has a DPET approaching MF/SF. In short it makes a difference.

#2 your dot uptimes were actually on par or lower than his even though you said you were casting them alot so maybe you were overwriting your MF/SFs at bad times?

#3 His spells are hitting alot harder than yours (maybe some of this is gear but more likely its casting spells during wrong eclipse or not maximizing eclipse time). For example his Starfire average hit is 80K, yours is 65K (22% difference!). His average Wrath hit is 8% higher than yours too. BTW during Incarnation and Celestial Alignment you should always be in Lunar and casting Starfire, never Solar/Wrath. Wrath's DPS sucks

#4 He has adapted to the new model of Hurricane/Astral Storm with limited use of mushrooms (see his dmg for those vs. yours) where you seem to still be in the Cata mode of Mushrooms with limited Hurricane.

Hope this helps!

GL,

PP
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

One simple thing might be to talk to / stand next to your teammate (Polyman) - he seems to be doing quite well and seeing as how gear levels are usually pretty close at the beginning of an expansion, the likely cause of most of the performance disparity is probably button pushing (assuming u are geared/ench/reforged/gemmed correctly).

Couple of things i noticed:

#1 your teammate (Poly) has *much* more Starsurge damage than you. It could be that he has more crit and is getting more SS procs (this wasnt the case, both his and your dot crits were ~22%), or it could be that you are holding your SS procs (or forgetting to cast SS when its off CD) - you cast 4 less SS than him (not a huge deal tho) - not sure what it might be but SS is the hardest hitting direct cast spell and has a DPET approaching MF/SF. In short it makes a difference.

#2 your dot uptimes were actually on par or lower than his even though you said you were casting them alot so maybe you were overwriting your MF/SFs at bad times?

#3 His spells are hitting alot harder than yours (maybe some of this is gear but more likely its casting spells during wrong eclipse or not maximizing eclipse time). For example his Starfire average hit is 80K, yours is 65K (22% difference!). His average Wrath hit is 8% higher than yours too. BTW during Incarnation and Celestial Alignment you should always be in Lunar and casting Starfire, never Solar/Wrath. Wrath's DPS sucks

#4 He has adapted to the new model of Hurricane/Astral Storm with limited use of mushrooms (see his dmg for those vs. yours) where you seem to still be in the Cata mode of Mushrooms with limited Hurricane.

Hope this helps!

GL,

PP

Yes, exactly. I realized this about starsurge after I made a new power aura for it. Sigh but I fixed that. Thank you so much though this is right on.
I also think I could use my CDs differently, and will start doing so. Thanks everyone I appreciate it deeply.

also wanted to say I have talked to polyman, he's a BEAST.
Edited by Kozzo on 10/12/2012 8:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]