Why does my first frostbolt hit my pet?

90 Pandaren Mage
So, this is my second mage I'm leveling, but never was able to cap it due to server switching issues.
I noticed that you can heal your elemental now with your frostbolt if you don't have anything targeted or if you have your pet targeted. As stated with the tooltip.

The problem I'm having is when I switch targets my very first frostbolt no matter what I do always seems to hit my pet instead of what I'm actually targeting.
I don't know whether or not to cancel my first cast cause I'm thinking I'm going to hit the mob. It's getting a little frustrating cause that's the cast time and gcd that I have to wait for to cast again.

I'm just wondering if there was a macro or addon to make it so it will stop targeting my pet?
I've been searching for a while now and always come across the cast frostbolt/petattack macro which I'm currently using.

I've also tried changing my specialization, but fire is a little too crit reliant and I'm just terribad with arcane >_<

Any help is appreciated, thank you. :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
The target may not be in range. I've noticed that when i start to cast a frostbolt on a target and it moves out of range, the target remains but the frostbolt just goes automatically to the elemental.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Mage
10/07/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Yûi
The target may not be in range. I've noticed that when i start to cast a frostbolt on a target and it moves out of range, the target remains but the frostbolt just goes automatically to the elemental.

Yup, this has happened to me several times.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Oh, a range issue. Didn't think of that.
Thank you!

So, there is no way to avoid it if the mob goes out of range?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Well, it's not a range issue. I was standing right next to the mob, and it was still doing it.
Ugh.. :(
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
You might be casting it slightly too early before the mob switch. If you press Frostbolt and then switch, even if it is seemingly at the same time, it will hit your Elemental. Now if your target is in range and everything, I do not understand why there would be an issue if it is already targeted and then you press it.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
I do wish there was a way to turn it off too by default or with a script command. My water ele gets by just fine without my help =p
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Turn off auto self cast. You'll no longer target your bubbly with a Frostbolt unless you purposely aim at The Bubbly.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
I HATE how this works. I want self-cast on for other abilities, but I absolutely hate the logic of it sending a FB to my pet without me specifically targeting my pet.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
FoE
Yes, it's a pain. But unless I'm forgetting something, you can pretty much macro everything else you'd want auto self-cast on for. For this exact W.E. Frostbolt targeting issue, I just turned off my self cast, and added an @pet conditional line with modifier key to the macro I already had for pet attack + cast Frostbolt.

It works fine now. I just had to macro a few other things that I took for granted with auto self cast on. For example, I made a macro to cast Arcane Brilliance @player, with a modifier to let me still cast it on other random non-grouped friendly targets out in the World if I so choose.

I'd list the others I had to create and post the macros themselves, but I'm sitting on the throne in the office restroom right now. :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
/cast [mod:shift,@pet] Frostbolt; Frostbolt
Syntax is probably wrong, but that's an option.

/cast [@harm] Frostbolt
If you have a separate way to cast on your pet (or just don't care about that), this may be the easiest way.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
10/08/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Incendium
I HATE how this works. I want self-cast on for other abilities, but I absolutely hate the logic of it sending a FB to my pet without me specifically targeting my pet.

Yeah, I completely agree with you. It's such a pain >_<
I almost stopped using my pet instead of having to deal with turning off auto self-cast. :(

Yes, it's a pain. But unless I'm forgetting something, you can pretty much macro everything else you'd want auto self-cast on for. For this exact W.E. Frostbolt targeting issue, I just turned off my self cast, and added an @pet conditional line with modifier key to the macro I already had for pet attack + cast Frostbolt.

It works fine now. I just had to macro a few other things that I took for granted with auto self cast on. For example, I made a macro to cast Arcane Brilliance @player, with a modifier to let me still cast it on other random non-grouped friendly targets out in the World if I so choose.

I'd list the others I had to create and post the macros themselves, but I'm sitting on the throne in the office restroom right now. :)

Oh, no worries... lol. I think I can throw something together with your description. :)
Thank you

/cast [mod:shift,@pet] Frostbolt; Frostbolt
Syntax is probably wrong, but that's an option.

/cast [@harm] Frostbolt
If you have a separate way to cast on your pet (or just don't care about that), this may be the easiest way.

Oh no way, thank you! /cast [@harm] Frostbolt works like a charm. I'll have to screw with the macro a little bit to add it to my pet attack and such.
Thank you. :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]