Low FPS with a GTX 480

90 Orc Warrior
I don't know what it is but i'm getting performance issues with my brand new GTX 480. In vale of eternal blossoms i get around 20-30 fps. And I know it's not my card because I get insane amounts of FPS in any other game. Roughly 60-70 FPS in Crysis 2. My brother who's using a 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card is getting 60 fps locked with everything maxed, 8x multisampling and v-sync.

My specs are:

Computer Case : Rosewill Challenger Black Gaming Case
Power Supply : Corsair CX600 Watt Power Supply
Motherboard : Biostar A880G+ AM3 AMD Motherboard
DDRMemory : Patriot Viper Xtreme 1866 MHz 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz AM3 Quad Core 8MB Cache
CPU Cooling Fan : AMD Copper HeatPipe Extra Quite Fan
Hard Drive : 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache

Video Card : EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

DVD Recorder : Sony 24X DVD+/-RW
Sound Card : Built-in HD 6-Ch Sound Card
Network Card : Built-in Gigabit LAN
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Forgot to mention, I'm running it on a 23" 1920x1080 monitor.
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
There may be a bug with certain settings on high/ultra. Set slider to ultra and turn each setting down to "good" one by one. The most likely culprits are liquid detail/ground clutter/sunshafts. You can leave AA/AAF where you want them, ive seen no performance gain by lowering those. Make sure you are running in either windowed fullscreen or windowed mode, ive seen bugs with fullscreen where if you alt tab back and forth from game to whatever, the game gets stuck at 30 FPS because it thinks its still "running in the background". Or alternatively you could turn off "Max background FPS" in the advanced tab.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Still only around 31 fps when flying
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I just updated my drivers too.
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
You never mentioned what CPU your bro was using, it is entirely possible he is using an intel and straight up doubling your FPS with a far inferior graphics card (thats how much CPU matters in this game)>

If that is not the case, and my suggestion above did not help, check your addons and make sure they are updated. I have even seen updated addons destroy FPS in some areas, so test with all addons turned off, then report back.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
It may actually be his CPU : / i think his is a quad core 3.6 amd FX series
Edited by Butywarrior on 10/8/2012 5:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
if that little bit helps that much
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
It matters if its intel, core count/clock speed not as much. Intel literally plays this game twice as fast as amd.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
No it's amd
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
Oh then no, i see your edit now. Are you absolutely sure your brother is running the same settings in game, in the same spot you are getting 30 FPS he is getting 60? If it isnt too much of a pain try swapping his card out for yours, that kind of a last resort thing, just to see.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I'll try that, and i'll put my gpu in his computer and see if it changes.
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
Ya if your familiar with that kind of thing that thats what i would do, just to see.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Yeah i'm good with installing hardware and i know a little about software for gpus but that's about it xD
Reply Quote
3 Undead Priest
I'm getting frame drops with my 580 too. And the whole crash malarky. Dunno if anyone here knows about that problem tho
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Was having all sorts of issues before this last weekend. But finally with deleting wow folders, reinstalling updated addons and doing removal and clean installs of the GeForce drivers, I had the game working well on my gaming computer until Sunday's long restarts.

After those and when I was finally able to get back in, my computer would crash and restart. The first time took 2 hours or so, but after that it got quicker.

Also running 480 GTX - but had been using for maybe 2 years.

Now I am on my laptop, which seems to have fewer problems than the sujper gaming computer, which has been shut down and sent to the shop to be checked out.

No help from Blizzard about any of this so far.

Thread on this is here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794641728
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
in beta 400 serires cards wer picking up on graphics overlays . but the vale shouldnt have any problems . im runing 2 cards instead of 3 gtx 470 getting about 40 fps to 220 in zones thoe verry stable under ultra max. ie verry littel skiping just annoying plant and ore dots disapering lol .

your gona have to play with there sliders in graphics . i have noted that if i let the game do what it wants under recomended setings this causes lag or worse also reamber nvida changed stuff in there pannel under 3d settings an sound they even tried to steal the busses that the cards wer on from the mother bord manufactur lol . that was noted in the beta det before panda came out .

pushing to a 47 inch hd tv in 1080P with every thing maxed is kinda tricky mess with ground clutter an thoes pesky sun shafts after you fly in to your farm at half hill to test if it graphics overlays your cards are picking up on . reamber as you unlock the world the less your cards have to see :D
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
You shouldn't be getting that bad frames. I used to run a single 460 on a 24" monitor, with a dual core CPU that was overclocked to only 3.2Ghz. Make sure shadows are down fully and possibly ambient occlusion.

Check ur FPS with vsync off, some games this can have a huge effect.
Reply Quote
3 Undead Priest
Another problem I have is that I now have white lines in the backround on mountains and other things. I know thats a sign the graphics card needs updateing but it's up to date, its a brand new GTX580 and still nothing, reinstalled wow and no change or improvement.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I don't know what it is but i'm getting performance issues with my brand new GTX 480. In vale of eternal blossoms i get around 20-30 fps. And I know it's not my card because I get insane amounts of FPS in any other game. Roughly 60-70 FPS in Crysis 2. My brother who's using a 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card is getting 60 fps locked with everything maxed, 8x multisampling and v-sync.

My specs are:

Computer Case : Rosewill Challenger Black Gaming Case
Power Supply : Corsair CX600 Watt Power Supply
Motherboard : Biostar A880G+ AM3 AMD Motherboard
DDRMemory : Patriot Viper Xtreme 1866 MHz 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz AM3 Quad Core 8MB Cache
CPU Cooling Fan : AMD Copper HeatPipe Extra Quite Fan
Hard Drive : 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache

Video Card : EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

DVD Recorder : Sony 24X DVD+/-RW
Sound Card : Built-in HD 6-Ch Sound Card
Network Card : Built-in Gigabit LAN

Hi, also own a GTX 460 video card and had the same problem as you with low FPS, so this is what I did to fix the problem:

- Restart UI (deleting Cache / WTF and Interface folders)
- Testing addons one by one (also discovered zygor 4.0 have severe FPS problems using travel system so I turn it off)
- Set multisampling to 1x (greater value put more stress in your GPU video card)

After doing this, averaging between 50-80 FPS....not so bad at all
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]