Suggestions for Improving Ret

90 Human Paladin
I've been wanting to play Ret on this character since I created it in WotLK, but Blizzard has never made it both fun to play and competitive DPS. I feel like they're close now, and a few minor changes would get it there:

1. Change Inquisition. Having to work up 3 Holy Power to put up Inquisition at the start of a fight is not fun. I have four possible suggestions:

A) Change it from costing Holy Power to costing mana.
B) Make it do significant damage.
C) Remove it and make the buff it gives baseline for the spec.
D) See 2 below.

2. Give Ret (or perhaps all Paladins) an ability that generates 3 Holy Power instantly, perhaps only out of combat. In Cataclysm, Prot could generate 3 Holy Power by hitting Divine Plea. Monks can do it with a self-heal, rogues can (or could in Cata, haven't checked in MoP) generate Combo Points with Preparation, and so on. It would remove the annoyance of putting up Inq. at the start of a fight, and allow us to self-heal with WoG or boost run speed through PoJ. It would add more interest to the rotation if it could be used in combat. The length of the CD is the only question.

3. Give Ret Consecration back. AoE feels ok as of right now, but the re-addition of Consecration with a reasonable mana cost and good damage would make it perfect. We need one more tool. Consecration would be better than Holy Wrath.

As far as I'm concerned, everything else about the spec is fine, it's working pretty well and is fun to play. Inquisition is the big problem, and they don't seem to realize that it doesn't work for the Paladin rotation the way it works for say Feral druids (Savage Roar). And they even gave Feral a glyph that lets you use Savage Roar without combo points. Something needs to be changed when it comes to Inquisition.
Edited by Rathlight on 10/9/2012 6:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I agree. The first few seconds of a pull are pretty weak for ret. By the time we get going the mobs are well on their way to being dead. Most other classes can open up into combat with a pretty good burst.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
"When used out of combat, Inquisition can be cast as though you have one point of holy power if you have no holy power to spend"

There you go.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I would agree, a glyph like Ferals would be nice. I know I love that on my feral.

1) One thing I've started to do is use Inquisition like on my SR on my druid in Cata and pop it before full charge for the opening sequence. On my way in I'll judge, Exo, and then pop a two point Inq. before I get into melee range. That usually gets me rolling and in 20 seconds I have more than enough time to pop a full 3 point Inq.

I'm sure people will do the math and say I'm losing 1% damage over 20 minutes of fighting, but I found it helps smooth things out a little and gets me up and running faster.

2) I do miss this. Some sort of Preperation would be nice, but I also like the idea of making it mana based.

3) Would like this as I find every so often I have a gap where I'm waiting for judgement and CS to come off cooldown but don't have enough HP for a TV.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Or make Inqusition a buff that lasts for 30 or 60 minutes.

/shrug

Could work out.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Inquisition is the only complexity that ret has. CS, HoW and exorcism are fairly close in damage. Judgment isn't as far behind CS as it was in pre-DS cataclysm. Without inquisition, ret would just be ...

5 HP TV -> Any HP builder -> 3 HP TV, and you could probably still function at 80-90% efficiency as someone who does it properly.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Inq only really bugs me in PvP where we are often not in combat for long enough to gain the benefit, but you feel you have to have it up or else you are hitting like a wet sponge.

In PvE it is fine, annoying, yes, but it adds an extra button to press and on the important fights using it properly gives a huge DPS boost.

Personally I don't want cons back, we finally have properly separate AoE and ST rotations, the only real reason for bringing it back would be to fill the odd hole in the rotation, but as we get more haste we will get more AoW procs.

My only real desire for inq would be that if you refresh it with less than, say, 5 seconds remaining you don't lose those remaining seconds (which I could swear they were adding) and that you couldn't accidentally wipe over inq with 20s remaining with a 1 HoPo inq.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I think I like the idea of an instant 3 HP generator on a CD the most. As for Consecration, I'd have it balanced so that it's not really worth using single target, but is worth using for AoE.
Edited by Rathlight on 10/9/2012 10:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Inquisition is the only complexity that ret has. CS, HoW and exorcism are fairly close in damage. Judgment isn't as far behind CS as it was in pre-DS cataclysm. Without inquisition, ret would just be ...

5 HP TV -> Any HP builder -> 3 HP TV, and you could probably still function at 80-90% efficiency as someone who does it properly.

Quoted for truth

I guess if they made divine purpose baseline there would be less inquisition complaints though. I personally don't see a problem with inquisition.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I think I like the idea of an instant 3 HP generator on a CD the most. A

We have one, it is called Holy Avenger.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/09/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Iziren
I think I like the idea of an instant 3 HP generator on a CD the most. A

We have one, it is called Holy Avenger.

Not what I mean. That's a long CD and an optional talent meant as a DPS boost. I mean one button that generates 3HP then goes on CD for say, 30s.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Not what I mean. That's a long CD and an optional talent meant as a DPS boost. I mean one button that generates 3HP then goes on CD for say, 30s.

If you take Divine Purpose we have one of those built into all of our HP abilities, minus the 30sec cooldown.

Except that you have no control over it. The main point is to be able to generate 3HP instantly at the start of combat to put up Inquisition. But having it as a CD would add another interesting element to the rotation. Something like Cold Blood for Rogues or Inner Focus for Disc Priests.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]