How to kill a Warlock? C'mon man!

90 Orc Warlock
So right off the bat, by no means am I a dedicated arena player, I play it casually.

So, step into arena, first game of this expansion. We get a lock/pally. Lock happens to have soul-link up, sends his pet on me, me and my partner open on the pet.

Wellll... the pet dies, thats a given.. as I run back into LoS of the other team, Im catching the end of the Warlocks death animation. I mean, REALLY?

I KNOW the lock played poorly by not micro-managing his pet.
I KNOW the lock played poorly by not micro-managing his soul-link buff.
I KNOW it was low mmr, and the "top tier" locks wouldnt be this dumb (I hope, but mistakes happen)

But can we please have the old soul-link back? The fact I was even able to do this is beyond stupid. I laughed, to the point of tears, for 5-10mins. Im still smiling about it now.

The old soul-link as a re-direct instead of the current, a share, would make it that much stronger of a talent to take vs DB or SP.

That is all.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The best use of soul link in PVP is in conjunction with grimoire of sacrifice, which gives you a 20% health boost.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
With soul link active if you kill the pet you kill the lock. End of story.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
10/11/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Baelis
With soul link active if you kill the pet you kill the lock. End of story.

Umm you must have missed the change to soul link.

Technically you're still correct, but if the lock has soul link you already won.

Both the pet and the owner with soul link up technically have mortal strike on them that stacks with real MS effects. So the pet sends healing to the lock when healed and the lock sends healing to the pet when healed. Unless you have a druid healer rolling hots on both the locks and the pet, either the lock or the pet will easily be killed.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
lol soul link... bane the lock chaosbolt the pet, if its still alive shadowburn it and laugh at the stupid design.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/11/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Betelgeus
lol soul link... bane the lock chaosbolt the pet, if its still alive shadowburn it and laugh at the stupid design.

QFT.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
yea i was very shocked after i talented soul link, i was like why the hell am i taking so much damage, then i realized i am taking damage for my pet. EGAD!

yes can we have the old soul link back, your crazy if you think i want another target i have to micromanage that causes me to take damage if it gets focused.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Soul Link can be actively used and canceled for PVP. If they go to the pet, drop soul link. If they are going after the lock you can turn it on. Not the best of talents, but if you actively controlled it you could use it to your advantage.

So it is not automatically a loss. It can be used as a big hp buff when needed.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Soul Link can be actively used and canceled for PVP. If they go to the pet, drop soul link. If they are going after the lock you can turn it on. Not the best of talents, but if you actively controlled it you could use it to your advantage.

So it is not automatically a loss. It can be used as a big hp buff when needed.

The issue with it is the opportunity cost (for PvP). Meaning you sacrifice another skill to get SL, and thats where it looses its value.

That being said, its great along with GoSac and I also use it in my PvE Demo spec as it adds amazing survivability (since you almost never get hit at the same time, him being melee me being ranged)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Any melee actual cleave, dot comp (shadowplay, spicy chicken, etc), or double nuke (eg bane of havoc + CB), will just obliterate a lock with soul link. Especially as bad as pet AI is, especially that since having soul link drops pet HP in half then they are already stupidly squishy.

I wouldn't even do it pve let alone pvp when pets tend to need constant babysitting. Soul link needs to work more one way if its ever going to be a good option...ie the lock can split damage but not healing and pet damage doesn't flow back to the lock. We are still the least mobile melee and can't really escape most melee once they are on us. Just like having the pet "bubble" is horrible for warlock using grim of sac. Honestly both are pretty bad options and could use some polish for 5.1 so they are equivalent choices.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
Soul link would be ok if they changed it to "Whenever the warlock is healed the pet is healed for an additional 25%" not stealing a portion of the heal from the lock.

My question is why was this gimped and Shadow and Balance still have their 15% DR baked in with no drawback.
Edited by Purebalance on 10/13/2012 9:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]