Disability and Gaming: Share your Story #2

90 Blood Elf Rogue
Hello all!

This is a continuation of the orginal thread that capped at 51 pages.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4038615902?page=1

As in the previous thread this is a place to share your disability, what hinders you, helps you and keeps you gaming! Feel free to share stories and give hints and tips to others! Lets make this thread as awesome as the last!

Taken from the first incarnation of the thread:

have been a gamer all my life. I have always enjoyed the freedom and worry-free experience I have gotten from gaming. I suffer from a multitude of mental and neurological issues but the worst being severe memory impairment stemming from treatment of long term ADHD/Anxiety/rapid cycling mood disorder . (I have very little short term memory) along with a severe case of involuntary muscle spasms. (I have difficulty typing/hitting the right buttons)

It doesn't sound like much to most people, but to anyone that has any sort of physical or mental impairment something as simple as completing a quest may be trying. But hey, we are just as capable as others. This isn't a thread for us just to complain. this is a thread for sharing any stories you might have and sharing tips and tricks for others with physical limitations.

Tell me how you get around your challenges? How do set things up to better your gaming experience? any advice you want to share with your fellow gamers? Post it here!

I find that locking all of my toolbars and addon windows and setting things up so I can't double click and turn them off unintentionally really helps with the unintentional button presses.

I also managed to set up my actions bars so the important things I tend to forget to use, such as buffs and enhancements are near eye level, becausxe as long as I can see it I can remember to use it!

One thing that really helps me focus is to get goals for myself and increase them bit by bit. For example. If I am working a profession like mining or herbalism, I set a number of skill points I want to get, say 10. Then I turn on the skill up notifier and the node tracker. then I work until I have 10 points. Once I do, I stop myself and take a break or move on to something different. Then as I go I gradually increase the amount I do, teaching myself to focus for longer periods of time. The same goes for levelling or raiding. Its easier when you have a close group to help but I find teaching myself to focus this way byt using WoW's many different features has actually helped me overall.
Reply Quote
Thanks for starting this Jadesigh. As I mentioned in the previous thread, I was curious what kinds of impairments people may have that Blizzard could help with; but it turns out that it isn't that type of thread.

I have a seizure disorder in which doctor's I have seen cannot find the cause of. It causes my left side to frequently lock up. However, it is not induced by flashing lights or patterns. Blur effects and bright things cause really bad headaches though, but I have learned how to tell when it's time to stop before I get one--especially since they last for several hours.

I have some nervous twitches that also cause me to hit the wrong buttons frequently, so I can empathize a bit with that. Also, I have some really bad arthritic joint pains in my wrists coupled with psoraisis on my right thumb and some joint problems in my fingers. This makes for some very painful playing sometimes, but since there isn't anything I can do about flare ups, I just deal with it. I use a Logitech TracBall mouse to help with the wrist pain from moving the mouse. This has the added advantage of very good twitch reflexes in fps games lol.

Other than that I have Asperger's Syndrome and some very bad emotional issues that, when all combined, make it nearly impossible for me to live a "normal" life. WoW helps me actually. In WoW I'm not the kid at the end of a table of friends that always has to speak louder than anyone else to be heard. Here I don't have to be afraid how people look at me because my arm, leg, and eye twitch or because my posture is all messed up. In WoW, in a way, I can be myself.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
@Jadesigh:

Sent you an ingame mail with an idea!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
I have a Mitochondrial Myopathie a rare one, in the Muscular Dystrophy Catagory,
the Doctor thinks it's either MELAS or POLG1

I'm losing my hearing, eye sight, memory and my nerves and muscles are dying.
My hands shake, and I'm losing coordination on my left side, my left eye is also the one that has the poorest vision.

There is no cure, but I take a drug/supplemental "cocktail" that slows the process.
I can walk, but I need a walker, or a wheelchair sometimes.

I have trouble communicating in game because my hands are unsteady and I type slow.
I use key-binds to be able to play at all. and I spent allot of money to build a computer that helps me see and hear. I can't always use vent, because my speech stutters or slurs. I'm even hooked up to an EEG monitor as I type this.
I have played quite a few MMORPG's but think WoW is the best one out there, even for being almost 8 years old. I have tried console games, but most require coronation I do not have.

I space out sometimes, and mostly play games to stave off boredom.
I used to be smart, my IQ was 136, before my brain started dying.
that's about all I can think of, I hope I interpreted the thread topic correctly.
and this is the kind of post you were looking for.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
@faylur: thank you for posting! I can understand your struggle with Asperger's as my brother in law suffers from it. It can be hard in social situation. I am so glad to hear WoW helps you cope! Do you do anything specific to deal with the twitch issues?

@Nystona: You interpreted the thread perfectly my dear :D Thank you for sharing your story. In comparison my issues seem trivial to what you go through and I admire your ability to just keep playing and enjoying yourself. Do you have any special set-ups that help you in game? Like addons or computer equipment?
Edited by Jadesigh on 10/3/2012 7:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
No add ons, only a special keyboard, and a BIG monitor.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Genetically deficient people, natural selection at its best.
Too bad you are still allowed to procreate, mucking up the human gene pool..

You sound like a very wise man, what with hiding behind your computer AND an alt to post such idiotic comment. If you ever suffer the same injury based disability I suffer from, I'd actually laugh at you.
Edited by Buffyumyum on 10/3/2012 7:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Pandaren Priest
LOL. That was SOOOOOO mean.

Hes probably jealous of the attention you guys get simply because hes doomed to a life of mediocrity.
Edited by Fooshy on 10/3/2012 7:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
89 Dwarf Paladin

bad troll, go hide under a bridge...
Reply Quote

Problems, sure we have them. I used to get mad with people like you, but then I realized your problems are much worse than any mental or physical ailment that I have to deal with currently, and possibly even in the future. So, whatever troubles you sir/ma'am I hope it all gets better. Most people that say things like that online wouldn't dare say them face to face anyway, and those that would tend to back down when the other person doesn't. Nice meeting you, and if you ever need to talk you can find me in game. Just send me a message.

@Jadesigh, I just have to deal with the twitches. They usually precede actual seizures. I keep myself in shape as much as possible by working out for short periods of time when I can. The twitching/seizing also causes breathing problems after a while and that makes it difficult to do much. I used to be pretty active in boxing and some stand-up martial arts, now I practice them a little and incorporate jiujitsu because I can practice it longer. That's coupled with weight training and light jogging once in a while.
Edited by Faylur on 10/3/2012 8:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue

Well you know what they say about karma right? :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter

I had a nearly Eidetic memory, a Genius level IQ (low genius, but still genius)
and my children got the Memory and a higher IQ than mine, but not the "Genetic Deficiency"
I post on my Main, not a level 1 alt like a coward. and I have the tenacity to keep going in so much pain, you would be crying on your knees, you elitist bigot.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
If anyone has issues with their fingers-hands I found a website (google => therapygloves) that has gloves made of different materials. The brand name is "Prolotex"

I have severe neuropathy in my hands and feet and these gloves are a big help. I use the 'fingerless' gloves that make it easier to use a keyboard - the material covers your hand-fingers except the last inch of your fingers. Full-fingered gloves are available too.

The website has an assortment of other materials (wristbands, socks, etc) but I have only bought their fingerless gloves - they are about $38 depending on tax, etc..

They really help if You have a lot of cramping too - been wearing the same pair for over 2 years; liked them enough to buy a second pair but the original pair has lasted so far.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
If anyone has issues with their fingers-hands I found a website (google => therapygloves) that has gloves made of different materials. The brand name is "Prolotex"

I have severe neuropathy in my hands and feet and these gloves are a big help. I use the 'fingerless' gloves that make it easier to use a keyboard - the material covers your hand-fingers except the last inch of your fingers. Full-fingered gloves are available too.

The website has an assortment of other materials (wristbands, socks, etc) but I have only bought their fingerless gloves - they are about $38 depending on tax, etc..

They really help if You have a lot of cramping too - been wearing the same pair for over 2 years; liked them enough to buy a second pair but the original pair has lasted so far.

Thank You for the tip, I have socks for the neuropathy in my feet, and "home made" gloves for my hands, I didn't know you could buy gloves like this. I will be investing in a pair. :D
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

Thank You for the tip, I have socks for the neuropathy in my feet, and "home made" gloves for my hands, I didn't know you could buy gloves like this. I will be investing in a pair. :D

Welcome! I wanted to be specific about the fingerless gloves -not only because they are perfect for keyboard use but also because the other gloves that they offer look to be a different material.

I can vouch for the fingerless gloves as very helpful :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
10/03/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Kizbo
Grade 2 right temporal lobe oligoastrocytoma brain tumor here. Had a craniotomy in 09 to remove it followed with 6 weeks of radiation. Tumor, and resulting surgery left me with no sensation on left side of body. I purchased a nostromo gaming keypad that has helped a lot. Right handed so no issues with mouse. You might want to look into the gaming keypad. It may help you out.

I have thought about them, I'll look again.
I currently am using an eliminated keyboard to help me see it.
but I see your point about a keypad helping without needing look down.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Death Knight
Epileptic gamer here.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Fairly severe Tourette's Syndrome, which did not drop in severity as I entered adulthood (for most it at least improves a little as puberty ends). Oh, and no...no coprolalia here. =P

Best thing for me is the GCD! Basically, I can't entirely prevent the ticcing, but I can to some extent decide when to let it happen.

If that sounds like it doesn't make much sense, don't blink. Eventually, if you force yourself not to blink, you're going to blink anyway. And near the end, it will get harder and harder to avoid doing. Eventually, it has to happen. It's like that. Yaaay, neurological weirdness!

So, the GCD gives me a chance to let my hand bounce off the mouse or keyboard so my wrist or hand can do something, and quickly grab the mouse or reorient my hand on the keyboard again to continue. If I need to move, I simply wait until a GCD where I can afford to stand still.

I do make some weird sounds, so, yeah, I have my Vent sent to push-to-talk instead of sound activation ;) Shoulder tics I just kind of let happen while keeping my hand on the mouse/keyboard, no big deal as long as I can keep my hand still.

-----------------

The only time the TS is any particular problem is if I'm having severe head and eye tics, which my guild is aware of. Usually I can play the game no problem despite that, because I can steal quick glances at the screen to assess what is going on and respond appropriately. It's a bit like, I guess, glancing quickly at one's rear view mirror when driving (no, I do not drive, my TS is entirely too severe for that). If it's particularly bad, I can ask for a few minutes to deal with it. I've only had to do this a handful of times in 3 and a half years of playing and raiding.

I'm moving constantly while playing (and in general), but it's really not a major issue, I don't even notice it much of the time because it's just a normal fact of my existence. I have more problems grocery shopping and such (surprise, surprise, constant large body movements and head/eye movements mess with balance), tbh.

Yay, GCD!!

Oh! As for the occasional wrong keypress or the like, I group similar abilities together, and I sometimes put a buffer between two different types of abilities that are very bad to put together (for instance, buffs do not go right next to things that are going to pull enemies).
Edited by Tiakatt on 10/3/2012 6:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]