Fistweavers

90 Orc Monk
Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone has any information on melee mistweavers. I want to figure out if I want to go windwalker full time, or meleeweaver. I myself have done no testing whatsoever on fistweaver damage, and I'm wondering how good they are in raids. I can figure that a fistweaver would be pretty damn good on cleave fights, though I'm wondering how much damage they're actually doing. Are they competitive on DPS charts? I'm not saying being ahead of the pures, just able to keep up.

Just wondering if anyone has been having a good time with the melee DPS side of mistweaver, and if they see it being competitive in any scenario whatsoever.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I switched over to Windwalker at 85 for my guild, but up until that point I was always doing about 50% of a DPS's damage while healing. Made fights go by much more quickly.

One note, upon hitting 80 and using one of those 410 ilvl staves, I started doing double the damage of good DPS in Wrath dungeons. :P
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Melee-heaing dps doesn't hold up as you head through MoP content. You're not going to be "keeping up" with the dps'ers, although you might be doing a decent amount of damage for a healer.

Being a healer - you don't just melee-heal. You toss out all sorts of casted heals *while* you melee-heal, and there are plenty of times where you can't do any melee-healing at all (either because of fight mechanics, or because the hps doesn't deal adequately with the incoming damage).

It is, however, an important part of any Mistweaver's end-game healing toolkit.

10/03/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Notamonk
You won't be able to meet the exp/hit cap for pve which would basically render you completely useless because the healing from fistweaving comes from your auto attack damage and without being able to hit your target..

We get hit & exp equal to 50% of our Spirit.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As soon as Windwalkers get Rising Sun Kick, the damage gap between the two specs grows much larger. The problem is also that Mistweaver melee abilities like Blackout Kick is still calculated with weapon damage. Since agility staves and polearms have over double the DPS of intelligence ones, the difference in ability damage is pretty big.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
"Fistweaving" is an intended part of the mistweaver. Thats why you get hit rating based off your spirit, so you dont miss your autoattacks. Besides that, jab is the largest Chi builder. The other Chi builders either have cooldowns or cost a lot of mana (Surging Mist). So keep the buffs up (Serpent's Zeal and Tiger Power), use Renewing Mist and Mana tea on cooldown and you'll have huge heals. Use uplift during high aoe dmg, or switch to the Soothing Mist healing rotation during heavy tank damage.

It's totally viable. It may take practice to be good at it. I've only been doing it for 3 days on my now 87 monk, and I'm doing okay. Struggle on some fights, go smooth on some fights. But i can see the potential and I think its going to be great.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
...the healing from fistweaving comes from your auto attack damage...

Actually Eminence is from all NON auto attack damage until you pop two BoKs for Serpent's Zeal, then it is everything. At lower levels (sub-40s), BoK provided one of the more effective heals.

That doesn't diminish what you're saying. You can't heal properly without the actual heals, but Eminence is also a vital part of healing. The primary role of Eminence is baseline AoE for the party. A good monk has to balance the melee and casting - relying on one or the other limits your effectiveness.
Reply Quote
40 Pandaren Monk
10/03/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Notamonk
the healing from fistweaving comes from your auto attack damage
I was under the impression it was 'non-auto attack' damage that did the Melee healing. Or at least that's how my tooltip reads. Am I reading it wrong?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
the healing from fistweaving comes from your auto attack damage
I was under the impression it was 'non-auto attack' damage that did the Melee healing. Or at least that's how my tooltip reads. Am I reading it wrong?

One does auto attack only and one does non auto attack only. I can't remember which is which but you get both
Edited by Brewmook on 10/3/2012 10:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Blackout Kick makes Mistweavers' auto-attack damage heal as well.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Blackout Kick grants a buff that allows 25% of auto-attack damage to become healing. Stacks up to two times.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
One does auto attack only and one does non auto attack only. I can't remember which is which but you get both

The Stance give non-autoattack, Serpent's Zeal (from two Blackout Kicks) give the healing from autoattack as well.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
And just in case there are any lower level Mistweavers in here confused about the BoK buff - I don't believe you get it until sometime... after lvl 40?

Someone will be along to provide the exact details (or correct me!) soon :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
10/03/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Meditation
And just in case there are any lower level Mistweavers in here confused about the BoK buff - I don't believe you get it until sometime... after lvl 40?

Teachings of the Monastery - Level 34
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
"Fistweaving" is an intended part of the mistweaver. Thats why you get hit rating based off your spirit, so you dont miss your autoattacks. Besides that, jab is the largest Chi builder. The other Chi builders either have cooldowns or cost a lot of mana (Surging Mist). So keep the buffs up (Serpent's Zeal and Tiger Power), use Renewing Mist and Mana tea on cooldown and you'll have huge heals. Use uplift during high aoe dmg, or switch to the Soothing Mist healing rotation during heavy tank damage.

It's totally viable. It may take practice to be good at it. I've only been doing it for 3 days on my now 87 monk, and I'm doing okay. Struggle on some fights, go smooth on some fights. But i can see the potential and I think its going to be great.

From what I've seen and done myself. Fistweaving is not a reliable source of healing for raids and battlegrounds. It is basically a melee version of Disc priests Atonement healing through smite spamming.
It's just something to do during a non intensive healing fight or during a phase of the fight where no one is taking high amounts of damage. You won't be able to meet the exp/hit cap for pve which would basically render you completely useless because the healing from fistweaving comes from your auto attack damage and without being able to hit your target.. yea no damage = no healing = dead raid.

As for battlegrounds... I wouldn't bother. Only time I would even consider fistweaving in pvp is if there is a large group where everyone requires healing and fast.

Fistweaving is supposed to be as viable as playing a MW as a traditional back of the pack healer according to the devs.

That doesn't mean you can get away with just melee'ing to heal though. We still need to weave in other heals.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Technically, if you have your statue down (which you should), Eminence heals for 100% of non-auto-attack damage (50% from you, 50% from the statue), and Serpent's Zeal will heal for 50% of your auto-attack damage. Non-auto-attack damage is still a much greater source of healing (also, on an average fight, no more than a third of your damage would come from auto attacks anyway).
Reply Quote
at low levels (40-70) fistweaving is a fun way to heal but after lvl 70 it is not as effective
in my opinion i love it just keep renewing mist and chi wave up serpents zeal and it is easy.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/03/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Brewmook

Serpent stance gives you 50% from non auto attacks. Teaching of the Monastery gives you 25% from auto attacks, and stacks twice. The statue adds another 50% from non auto attacks.

So you get 100% from non auto attacks plus 50% from auto attacks.
Reply Quote
It's good for low damage fights but when the damage starts to spike it falls behind quite noticeably... I notice once someones below 50% it's not enough to rapidly heal up unless you use jade wind with SCK. Otherwise it's a channel instant cast combo. Maybe it'll be more effective in better gear but for now it's not really possible to just heal in MOP content with fists.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Speaking from experience in downing the first 3 raid bosses of Mogu and topping the healing meters without having a great amount of mana issues.

Eminence is terrible in it's current state with the amount of raid damage going around and Jab is way to mana costly. There is zero reason to Jab/blackoutkick/tiger palm and remain in melee range when you can Channel soothing mist at range, use renewing mist on cooldown and spend your chi on better heals like chi burst and enveloping mists.

Ranged healing is where it's at, don't waste your time trying to figure out when to melee and when to range.

Range healing is better in every situation when it comes to 25 man raiding.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]