Your thoughts please

46 Undead Warlock
Hey guys/gals I would like your thoughts please. I am level 33 as you can see and I am leveling as Affliction. I am not sure if it is me or not but I feel as if I am really underpowered at level 33. I am not having any issues killing mobs or anything what so ever but it just feels sub par to me. I am able to have big blue hold onto 5 mobs and I am able to keep him alive and if he does die I use Howl of Terror so that I can summon him back real quick. The current rotation I have been using is Unstable Affliction>Corruption>Curse of Enfeeblement>Shadow Bolt>Harvest Life. I am only seeing like 400s for crits when using Shadow Bolt. That to me seems low compared to my other toons when they were around the same level. I would like to hear your thoughts about this and if I am doing something wrong could you throw me a bone and put me on the right path please. I would appreciate the input thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Well, you need a head and neck piece, but otherwise, you can't really do anything "wrong" at your level. Once you get to level 42 you'll have both Agony and Malefic Grasp and it will get much better. But for now, just make sure you DoT all your targets and kill em all dead while your blueberry keeps them from killing you dead :) It gets much better. I promise.
Reply Quote
46 Undead Warlock
@Plyth I appreciate the reply, like I said I am not having trouble killing things or anything like that . I just feel weak and wanted to make sure that I am not doing anything wrong. So 42 I should see a change in things. What are in your opinion the go to Glyphs I should equip?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
You feel underpowered because you're affliction. The damage affliction does is fantastic, but there is a ramp up that must be considered. And until MOP the other 2 specs had the same stigma.

For you to peek on your damage output, minus using big cds, you need to cast dots and cast hard for about 8 seconds. Affliction is not bursty though I haven't played it a lot since the new expansion hit.

if you messed with destro or demo you would see your dps jump faster, but in a long fight all three specs are pretty comparable. This may not be the case while leveling. There is always the potential for a class to be awkward for a few lvls because balance in that end of the game is less paramount.
Reply Quote
46 Undead Warlock
@Valcre thanks for the input. Atleast I know I am not doing something wrong then. When I made this toon I planned on being Affliction from the get go so I have not even looked at any of the skills Destro or Demo have. Maybe at 40 I will grab one of those as a secondary spec just to see how it goes. I will just sit back and enjoy the ease of leveling as Affliction.

I still need glyphs what do you all suggest?
Reply Quote
Volts divided by Amps is Ohms.

hehe.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Definitely Glyph of Soul Shards for the extra shard. Then maybe Siphon Life and Healthstone for the extra healing. But the only mandatory one is the Glyph of Soul Shards. Minor glyphs are mostly cosmetic so those are up to your taste.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Go destro or demo until you hit 90, then practice affliction in heroics. Much faster.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
havnt played low level in along time, wasnt using your wand during dots a high dps? I know many peeps forget that you can shoot a wand and at low levels is good dmg. Or at least it use to be.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
OP, I have just leveled from 1 - 85 in the past 2 weeks... I know what your going through. You get a huge increase in DPS when you get to level 70. It does suck applying each dot to each target manualy, although play what you enjoy playing. I stayed with affliction because I enjoy it. Nothing like dotting everything in site and letting the void walker deal with it.

Now, until you get to lvl 70, use this rotation.

Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction, Shadow Bolt (Keep agony and corruption up at all times)
(Once Shadow Bolt becomes malific grasp, use that in place of shadow bolt)

Once you get haunt, toss that in after the dots and before the MG if soul shards is no issue.

At lvl 69 (I think) you will now kill things 300% faster
Soulburn:SoulSwap, Haunt (if shard allows), MG = Dead

Once you get the % bonuses to dmg (I think lvl 70 and 80) you now kill so fast you can cut out MG and just use Drain Soul cause you want those shards back... After my SB:SS, Haunt, I usualy have 15% life left on my target so I just DS to get my shards and deal extra damage (cause the target has less than 20%)

Seems wierd putting dots on a target who dies in 3 seconds, although there definitely needed to make haunt and MG work right.

TL:DR <3 Sveik

Stay with the spec you like, Affliction takes a bit to pick up when when it does. pwn
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock

Stay with the spec you like, Affliction takes a bit to pick up when when it does. pwn
Lol, I see what you did there. ;D

Also, she has a point. If you're absolutely in love with afflic and there's no changing your mind, then yes master it. Because when you become good with afflic, you become really good and you're generally unstoppable. The main reason you think you're doing such little damage is because afflic shines in longer fights.

Personally, I like to change between destro and afflic. Sometimes I feel like draining the life force from my enemies, other times I just wanna watch the world burn. There is a dual spec for a reason.
Reply Quote
46 Undead Warlock
Yep just about to hit 40 so I figured I would grab a dual spec. I really appreciate the input from everybody. I do like the Affliction Lock though, can't wait to see the damage pick up. I noticed I am beginning to grab aggro form Big Blue though, so I have had to slow down before adding dots.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
10/04/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Ohms
Yep just about to hit 40 so I figured I would grab a dual spec. I really appreciate the input from everybody. I do like the Affliction Lock though, can't wait to see the damage pick up. I noticed I am beginning to grab aggro form Big Blue though, so I have had to slow down before adding dots.
When you get to higher levels, your voidwalker will be able to hold threat on everything no problem.

When 5.0 came out, I solo'd marrowgar and deathwhisper using him as destro. He didn't lose threat once, and everyone knows how hard destro can hit in a burn phase.
Reply Quote
46 Undead Warlock
Definately thank you all for the input it is greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
46 Undead Warlock
OP, I have just leveled from 1 - 85 in the past 2 weeks... I know what your going through. You get a huge increase in DPS when you get to level 70. It does suck applying each dot to each target manualy, although play what you enjoy playing. I stayed with affliction because I enjoy it. Nothing like dotting everything in site and letting the void walker deal with it.

Now, until you get to lvl 70, use this rotation.

Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction, Shadow Bolt (Keep agony and corruption up at all times)
(Once Shadow Bolt becomes malific grasp, use that in place of shadow bolt)

Once you get haunt, toss that in after the dots and before the MG if soul shards is no issue.

At lvl 69 (I think) you will now kill things 300% faster
Soulburn:SoulSwap, Haunt (if shard allows), MG = Dead

Once you get the % bonuses to dmg (I think lvl 70 and 80) you now kill so fast you can cut out MG and just use Drain Soul cause you want those shards back... After my SB:SS, Haunt, I usualy have 15% life left on my target so I just DS to get my shards and deal extra damage (cause the target has less than 20%)

Seems wierd putting dots on a target who dies in 3 seconds, although there definitely needed to make haunt and MG work right.

Why no curse in the rotation? I was looking at Soulburn I am not seeing anything special about it and find that I don't even think about using it up to this point. Is it safe to assume that later on it will begin to shine?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
10/05/2012 08:18 AMPosted by Ohms
Why no curse in the rotation? I was looking at Soulburn I am not seeing anything special about it and find that I don't even think about using it up to this point. Is it safe to assume that later on it will begin to shine?
It's a minor bump in damage, not worth casting it while you're leveling unless maybe you're taking on elites.

Soulburn empowers various spells and consumes a soul shard. Soulburning your soul swap puts all your dots on the target instantly. Doing this, you can channel MG faster.

It will definitely shine later on.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It's worth pointing out that a lot of his gear is rather underpowered for level 39. Those greens aren't really granting great bonuses.

Try to dungeon run for some good blues - or look at the quest rewards for your questing zones on wowhead.com to find some blue gear with Int bonuses.
Reply Quote
10 Undead Warlock
Doesn't it kind of depend on what we're talking about in terms of making yourself "feel" powerful? If you're looking for big crits to flash across the screen, affliction may not be what you're looking for--unless something is changed in MoP.
Reply Quote
46 Undead Warlock
10/05/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Obitus
Doesn't it kind of depend on what we're talking about in terms of making yourself "feel" powerful? If you're looking for big crits to flash across the screen, affliction may not be what you're looking for--unless something is changed in MoP.

The response is appreciated but not necessarily constructive. I am not nor have I said that I am looking for big crits. I am not saying that you said I was but I just wanted to make that point. All I have said is that I am feeling underpowered and that I wanted peoples opinion to make sure that it was not me or something that I missed being Affliction. If you have something constructive to add to help clear things up or even just a hang in there it will get better then I would appreciate your comment more. Besides you stated "what we're talking about" unless I missed something this would be your first comment to my post so I am not on the same page as you as far as what we're talking about.
Edited by Ohms on 10/5/2012 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Ohm my goodness!

Saw that in a science text book last year.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]