Are protection Warriors broken?

90 Human Warrior
After the restart, i noticed our threat generation was reduced severely. What gives?!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Deep Wounds for prot was nerfed by 50%, and Revenge damage was noticeably nerfed on the secondary targets.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
So, does that mean warriors are just poor tanks now? What can i do to keep threat generation up so the DPS's AOE stops pulling threat away, i'm stacking devastate on all the mobs...and it just seems like i'm doing entirely too much compared to other tank classes.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
They nerfed Deep Wounds because it was putting out a very large amount of threat. It happens to do so with no target limit/diminishing returns, and almost no requirement in terms of upkeep (unlike, say, Consecration, which requires mobs to keep standing in it and costs more GCDs to maintain).

They nerfed Revenge because it was ludicrous how much damage it does vs. 2-3 targets. Basically it triples in damage from hitting a second and third target, and probably doubles in damage again because you're getting 3 times as many parries to refresh the cooldown. I'm still surprised they didn't nerf the rage it generates, which strikes me as a potentially more problematic issue.

The experience you're having now is honestly what most other tanks are having. Look at the forums - there's at least 2 threads on prot paladin threat/damage on page 1 right now, a thread about bears, etc. Everybody has been struggling with threat, particularly at the start of pulls when Vengeance is low/nonexistent.

For you personally, I would suggest MANY fewer Devastates while AOE tanking. The parries you get while tanking multiple mobs should guarantee plenty of Revenges. The vast majority of your GCDs should be filled with Revenge, Thunder Clap, and Shield Slam. Use Heroic Leap/Recklessness and/or your T90 talent cooldown if you need additional threat at the start of a pull. Devastate should be your absolute last resort in a situation with 2+ targets.

Also, FWIW, lots of people have noted that Dragon's Roar currently doesn't generate threat (whether or not that is intended is up for debate). It is by no means necessary but if you're having a ton of trouble swapping to Shockwave might be a decent choice.
Edited by Ahti on 10/3/2012 9:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I mean, i can try and adapt, but this is a totally different ball game now.

if it isn't for me, i guess the option of rerolling isn't 100% out of the question yet.
I'm going to try and learn around these nerfs however.

Thanks for the help!
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
You can not be serious.

It was mentioned before that Deep Wounds alone was doing as much damage as Consecrate, Holy Wrath and HotR. Warriors were so far ahead in AoE it was a joke, and nerfing it is causing you to reroll?

You will not be missed.

10/04/2012 09:17 AMPosted by Musashi
Can't they think of something more fun to screw with than threat?

If you're having problems with threat, it is completely, 100% a PEBKAC issue.

100%.
Edited by Rijdot on 10/4/2012 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I mean, i can try and adapt, but this is a totally different ball game now.

You could just quit.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Except threat isn't hard, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Control can be hard, especially if people are being idiots, but this isn't a threat related issue.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Death Knight
You (and many others) finding threat not to be fun is why tank threat gen is now 500% and you have Vengeance stacking immediately after first being struck. You no longer need to work for threat, you can hold threat on someone doing five times your DPS without having to stack hit/exp. Where is the problem?

Threat is not difficult to master. This is now intentional on Blizzard's part.

If even with Vengeance and the 500% threat modifier you still can't hold aggro, you're either playing with people with an incredibly substantial gear lead on you (in which case it'd be expected), or it's PEBKAC.
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 11:45 AMPosted by Musashi
Ambiguity isn't complexity. In my opinion, threat doesn't add anything to the game except added frustration.

Then tanking clearly isn't for you. Through every patch, every nerf, every expansion since launch, threat has been a non issue if you play correctly. I've done it on every tank class in the game.

Threat was a reward for you doing your job correctly and playing your class with skill. Then Blizzard gave every tank 500% threat simply so they could get through LFR in one piece. Now, it takes a bit of skill again.

For a newcomer, they have 90 levels to figure it out. If they haven't by then, with all the resources available, and all the handholding Blizzard has provided, they should stick to dps.
Reply Quote

Take a deep one dude- just because I have a difference of opinion with you about a game mechanic doesn't mean I don't enjoy tanking.

It's an opinion; it doesn't mean I'm going to stop playing, or want to. Try and be a little less extreme - head over to Starbucks and get yourself a triple cappuccino. Don't flip any tables on the way over there.

If my post came across as extreme to you, then I think we know where the problem lies.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
Well, I'm stating some of my personal opinions about tanking mechanics here, whereas you seem to be coming across as someone who doesn't think people should be playing the game unless they do it your way. So I'd guess the problem either lies in your attitude or in an inability to communicate your thoughts more effectively.

Now, I could be totally wrong about you, so perhaps you'd clarify?

You are incredibly defensive.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
10/04/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Musashi
It's the preferred stance for a warrior tank.

lmao.
Reply Quote
Well, I'm stating some of my personal opinions about tanking mechanics here, whereas you seem to be coming across as someone who doesn't think people should be playing the game unless they do it the way the game is designed.

There, I fixed that for you.
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 12:22 PMPosted by Musashi

I just checked your armory.
You haven't tanked in two years, since ICC.

PSSSSSSST!!!!!!!!!!!
There have been 2 expansions, both with radical overhauls to game mechanics since then.
There is a patch note around here somewhere, look for it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]