Are protection Warriors broken?

90 Dwarf Warrior
Threat threads always devolve into chest-thumping. I DUB THEE CHAMPION OF GEEKS.

Anyway, two thoughts:

1) I don't like tanks' AoE DPS/damage done being so off the leash in any case. GC has called it "weird and demoralizing" at least twice, and whenever I'm tanking, I agree. I wish damage were lower and threat modifiers higher.

2) With the above in mind, I think Thunder Clap itself could use a boost. I swear there's a palpable delay in snap threat after a Clap. I suspect it might be time elapsed before the first Deep Wounds tick, but in any case, the original attack has become more and more like a delivery system for the enhancement, and that doesn't feel right.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
We were doing killer aoe dmg, a nerf was bound to come. I'm just kind of shaking my head when ghostcrawler says warriors are doing too much aoe Dmg, but yet

While Blood Death Knights have been higher on damage than most other tanks, we’re expecting that the adjustments we’re making to the other tanking classes will close the gap. While we haven’t made any changes to Blood lately, we will be keeping a close eye on it.

Sooo....We were doing great AOE dmg ( still not DK level on any trash pack, boss) but we get nerfed to an even lower point and yet this "adjustment" is asposed to close the gap?

As a tank since 4.2 I love the new changes. I love being able to contribute my DPS to a fight, much like bears and DK have been able to do for a while. Yes, My job is to control the boss, mobs, etc, but it's still nice to be able to be on par with other tank dmg especially during progression.
Edited by Smãllpãckage on 10/4/2012 3:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

2) With the above in mind, I think Thunder Clap itself could use a boost. I swear there's a palpable delay in snap threat after a Clap. I suspect it might be time elapsed before the first Deep Wounds tick, but in any case, the original attack has become more and more like a delivery system for the enhancement, and that doesn't feel right.

i couldn't disagree with you more, my TC is almost instantaneous in pullin adds on to me, and i usually use it in place of my taunt, maybe you need to glyph the lightning on to it lol. but for realsies, every time i use thunder clap, i swear i can hear scorpio yellin " get over here."
Reply Quote
14 Dwarf Hunter
10/04/2012 11:45 AMPosted by Musashi
Threat is binary. Either the mob is under control, or it isn't. If it's not going to be, you can't tell (unless you use resources from outside the game).

this is blatantly false. i use the default frames, and i can always tell when a mob is going to be ripped from me by the big RED -> ORANGE -> YELLOW -> GREY aura around it's nameplate.

just because you choose not to turn on these things doesn't mean they don't exist.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Eh? Thunderclap does a crap ton of snap aggro. Pair that in with tab revenge/shield slam/devastate - and you get good AoE threat. Granted, warriors have it harder to generate AoE threat than the other classes, but that doesn't mean they're not viable.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
10/06/2012 12:00 PMPosted by Bubblewall
Granted, warriors have it harder to generate AoE threat than the other classes, but that doesn't mean they're not viable.

I spit out my drink laughing.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Orb
10/03/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Tolerek
So, does that mean warriors are just poor tanks now? What can i do to keep threat generation up so the DPS's AOE stops pulling threat away, i'm stacking devastate on all the mobs...and it just seems like i'm doing entirely too much compared to other tank classes.

If you're using devastate in AoE situations, you're wrong.

You should thunderclap then shockwave at the start of the pull then shield slam and revenge on c/d while using cleave as a rage blow when you have your mitigation up, while still using thunderclap and shockwave on c/d.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

You are incredibly defensive.

It's the preferred stance for a warrior tank.

:D

You may have lost this debate, but damn it, you won the battle here.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
10/06/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Ismashyoudie
If you're using devastate in AoE situations, you're wrong.

If T60, Rev, TC, and SS are on cooldown, you're doing it right.

10/06/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Ismashyoudie
cleave as a rage blow when you have your mitigation up

Not really.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
this is blatantly false. i use the default frames, and i can always tell when a mob is going to be ripped from me by the big RED -> ORANGE -> YELLOW -> GREY aura around it's nameplate

Seriously? Where can I enable this? How does it work? What breakpoints in threat correspond to the colors.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Death Knight
10/06/2012 10:19 PMPosted by Hatsune
this is blatantly false. i use the default frames, and i can always tell when a mob is going to be ripped from me by the big RED -> ORANGE -> YELLOW -> GREY aura around it's nameplate

Seriously? Where can I enable this? How does it work? What breakpoints in threat correspond to the colors.

Cant' recall of the top of my head where the option is but I believe it's just packaged in with the basic Blizzard nameplates. Last I checked, Red is having aggro, Yellow is having aggro but not being top aggro (such as you're at 95% after taunting), and Grey is not having aggro fullstop. Uncertain what Orange is.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

If you're having problems with threat, it is completely, 100% a PEBKAC issue.

100%.

I don't think I've had to care about threat since BC...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

You are incredibly defensive.

It's the preferred stance for a warrior tank.

:D

Nicely done there
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I tanked the 2 instances on my 85 Warrior and the DPS is pretty terrible. This bad boy always topped the meter sometimes even closing in on 50% of damage done on normals and even some heroics.

I am obviously talking about AOE damage.

Warrior single target is fine, they just have no AOE potential. I didn't have any trouble holding aggro though, even when I graced 4th place on the DPS meter.

The DK tanking mechanic is also superior, having no hit/exp is detrimental to your ability to tank on a Warrior but on a DK it is irrelevant.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
10/04/2012 11:45 AMPosted by Musashi
Threat is binary.

That's the kind of thing you'd only hear from someone who DIDN'T play before Wrath.

The following things are all different:
-A tank who produces sub-par threat that causes you to have to slow down on DPS.
-A tank who is struggling to keep up but just managing to produce enough TPS for you to do a full rotation.
-A tank whose threat generation is ridiculous beyond compare and blows everyone else out of the water.

Back in the day, it was the job of DPS to appropriate how much damage they did to how much threat the tank was producing. If a DPS pulled aggro, it was their own fault, not the tank's.

Nowadays, it is the job of the tank to hold aggro. If a DPS pulls aggro, it's the tank's fault, because tanks at all levels can by and large produce enough threat to hold aggro.

The difference between the two is, in the former situation, threat generation is subjective and a good tank always produces more threat than a bad tank, and in the latter situation, threat generation is binary and a given.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
How are people geared? Are you soft exp cap and hit capped?

IMO lets all stack STR so our threat is ok then complain we are too squishy.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Threat issues are L2P issues. You have a 500% threat buff over any dps or healer. Make sure you're in the right stance and using the right abilities.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
10/07/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Austeros
Threat issues are L2P issues. You have a 500% threat buff over any dps or healer. Make sure you're in the right stance and using the right abilities.

Fair comment. I rarely have issues with threat, sometimes at the start of a fight you'll be in competition with ranged DPS, but any good tank isnt one dimensional and knows how to generate and maintain threat with pack mobs.

Aint hard...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sadly, in 5 mans, holding threat off the 60k dps mage when you haven't been hit by anything IS kinda hard. Or the 118k warlock. Stupid AOE. 5 mans non-bosses don't give enough vengeance any which way you cut it to hold off anyone doing really good dps. Aka, guildies.

Keybinding 'skull' to one of my keys generally fixes that though.

Single target is no issue though, and should be no issue. I use AOE here to refer to more than 3 mobs. Though I will mark a skull on 3 pulls, because the mage hits 1 the warlock hits another and the monk hits the last- it get old fast. (Unless I remember to switch my shield glyph before the instance!)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]