The Stealth Portal

90 Worgen Warlock
Ok, maybe someone else has found this already. I haven't been back to the Lock forums for a bit, and reading up on the Portals is mostly QQ (well deserved).

But I just found one thing that I like.

If you move 100 yards away from one of the gates, then it despawns. This many people have pointed out before, and is well known and hated.

However, having just done that to myself, I remained curious why they despawn ONE portal and leave the other useless lump sitting around.

So I walked through it.

And ported to where the other SHOULD have been!

So, it makes the portal a 1 way affair. But it allows the exit point to be an unknown, solving the issue of "the enemy knows where to look for me"

It also appears not to be losing charges. The 5 orb visual is still there. Unfortunately I don't have friends near me while I am testing this to have them also hop in the ring and try jumping.

I did also lose the buff which indicates number of charges and duration for portal. Sadly the portal DID still despawn after the initial 10 minutes elapsed.

EDIT: Just tried despawning one portal the instant I cast the spell in the first place. This caused me to have 1 gate with no charges that never gains any charges and is useless to walk through.

So despawning one portal does indeed freeze the charges, presumably that means unlimited teleportation.

For a group of 5, the cooldown still limits them to 1 jump per 15 seconds. But if you despawn one of them as soon as you get a single charge, everyone can jump on 1 charge.

For a raid... not sure if all raid members can use the portal, or just your group of the raid. But if all of the raid can use it, then despawning the destination portal means all 25 can hop at the same time through a single Lock's portal.

EDIT 2: Ok... just tried spawning one with a single charge then despawn other. I jumped through once, single orb stayed on top. But the gate was now inactive. So it appears to stop recharging and fails to update visually. No free portal for 25.
Edited by Haayt on 10/4/2012 12:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
This smells like a bug.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

However, having just done that to myself, I remained curious why they despawn ONE portal and leave the other useless lump sitting around.

So I walked through it.

And ported to where the other SHOULD have been!

Give it a few seconds, that "left over" portal eventually becomes useless as well. You can walk through it but nothing happens.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]