Resto Shaman and Telluric Currents

100 Draenei Shaman
Hello fellow healers, I have a question about Telluric Currents.

When healing DS, the only time I would run out of mana would be if I was doing nothing but Greater Healing Wave for about three minutes straight, and that is without very good gear (say ilvl 380).

Telluric Currents is supposed to help me regain my mana, but with a 2+ second cast time on lighting bolt how am I supposed to fit it in if I only run out of mana when constantly healing?

Perhaps things are different in MoP? I have been hearing TC is good, but could someone please explain how it works out to be that way?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
TC got nerfed. It still returns mana, but at a very low rate. It's no longer meant to be used as a regen tool; rather, it gives you the opportunity to DPS when there is nothing to heal without having to worry about dpsing draining your mana. Technically, you could use it to help with your mana, but you'd have to sacrifice a substantial amount of healing to do so since the amount of mana returned from each LB is pitiful. If you are having mana troubles, then I'd first look for other ways to fix that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
10/04/2012 11:38 PMPosted by Kymiia
TC got nerfed. It still returns mana, but at a very low rate. It's no longer meant to be used as a regen tool; rather, it gives you the opportunity to DPS when there is nothing to heal without having to worry about dpsing draining your mana. Technically, you could use it to help with your mana, but you'd have to sacrifice a substantial amount of healing to do so since the amount of mana returned from each LB is pitiful. If you are having mana troubles, then I'd first look for other ways to fix that.

Nailed it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I found that there is time in all the fights to toss a few LB's as every bit of mana helps right now. It is now static so the goodness that was massive returns on modifiers is now gone. It's not totally useless, just not as useful.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
HC
I have found Glyph of totemic recall to be absolutely amazing. On Will of the emperor it returned 100k+ mana to me that I would not have had.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
10/05/2012 06:05 AMPosted by Sensations
I have found Glyph of totemic recall to be absolutely amazing. On Will of the emperor it returned 100k+ mana to me that I would not have had.

I hope that is sarcasm, because the only totem we even use on a regular basis that could return that amount of mana is Healing Stream and to get that mana from Healing Stream means you were losing the last tick of healing every time. All of the other totems are less than 5k in mana costs, which means that you must have recalled 20+ totems if you were not recalling Healing Stream and that just sounds like you were dropping way more totems than you should have been dropping in the first place, so you could have saved just as much mana by not dropping excess totems.

EDIT: To be fair, I guess Fire Elemental and Earth Elemental are 16k mana each, but still, they have 5 minute CDs.
Edited by Obliquatur on 10/5/2012 7:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
HC

I hope that is sarcasm, because the only totem we even use on a regular basis that could return that amount of mana is Healing Stream and to get that mana from Healing Stream means you were losing the last tick of healing every time. All of the other totems are less than 5k in mana costs, which means that you must have recalled 20+ totems if you were not recalling Healing Stream and that just sounds like you were dropping way more totems than you should have been dropping in the first place, so you could have saved just as much mana by not dropping excess totems.

EDIT: To be fair, I guess Fire Elemental and Earth Elemental are 16k mana each, but still, they have 5 minute CDs.

You can recall HST with the last tick going off, which is what I do. At this point I feel anyone not using Totemic Recall are truly hindering themselves, the raw potential of this glyph is astounding.
Edited by Sensations on 10/5/2012 1:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/05/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Sensations
You can recall HST with the last tick going off, which is what I do.

Just wondering what you are using for this? You run powerauras or something? Sounds intriguing.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
HC
10/05/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Harpoa
You can recall HST with the last tick going off, which is what I do.

Just wondering what you are using for this? You run powerauras or something? Sounds intriguing.

I use Weak Auras :p
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Sensations, I'm curious...do you feel that Shaman are going to be able to keep up in heroic content? I'm hearing from some Shaman that they're having mana issues, but others say they're just fine, and I honestly don't know who to believe.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
HC
10/05/2012 03:46 PMPosted by Tiriél
Sensations, I'm curious...do you feel that Shaman are going to be able to keep up in heroic content? I'm hearing from some Shaman that they're having mana issues, but others say they're just fine, and I honestly don't know who to believe.

It's hard to say. Although mana is tight it's not much worse than the other healers. But I do know fights become more spread so that's where our weakness will again show but it won't be as bad as T11 for Shaman at least cause of all the new tools, unless Blizzard dpes what they said and nerf the Glyph of RT because it's basically required.

If a Shaman is playing properly and using Glyph of TR then I can't see how our Mana could be that bad compared to others. I think a lot just don't know about it and how to utilize it correctly.
Edited by Sensations on 10/5/2012 4:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/05/2012 03:46 PMPosted by Tiriél

first time raided in vaults today. I was top heals at 50k hps. when we downed first boss. No mana issues. On 2nd boss, still kept hps up, but didn't down him due to tank error.

Mana isn't an issue for me. My regen at 13k+ mp5 (with spirit elixir) is more then enough for normal mode it seems. Not counting my trinket on use.

On our 4th attempt on first boss, I was at 80% mana when boss enraged at 4%. next attempt we downed him and I was at 30%ish.

The only way I feel you should be oom'ing is if you have bad dps standing in stuff, or if tanks are not taunting properly (on first 2 bosses anyways).

If everyone did everything properly, you could EASILY 2 heal it in our current gear levels.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I doubt 100k mana was returned, I would like to see the math behind which totems and timers on remaining totems that were present being out at that moment when you used recall. It doesn't count all totems throughout an encounter when you use it, it only counts those presently active when you use it, so 16k each ele totem, 14k hst, and say 8k capacitor totem.... not nearly 100k. Unless the ability is bugged atm, which I could then see why.

As for healing heroic content, I don't think shamans will have any issues. My group isn't fully geared aside from myself really, and I have just gotten lucky tbh with drops. But during Guardians I was top healer around 60k hps the whole night, and some fights peaking 72k hps, not counting overhealing of which I averaged 27% the whole night. So I wouldn't say shamans are going to be bad in heroic progression, just not as well off if people aren't geared/specd/gemmed/reforged right, or don't have a brain about their class. ^.^
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I doubt 100k mana was returned, I would like to see the math behind which totems and timers on remaining totems that were present being out at that moment when you used recall. It doesn't count all totems throughout an encounter when you use it, it only counts those presently active when you use it, so 16k each ele totem, 14k hst, and say 8k capacitor totem.... not nearly 100k. Unless the ability is bugged atm, which I could then see why.

As for healing heroic content, I don't think shamans will have any issues. My group isn't fully geared aside from myself really, and I have just gotten lucky tbh with drops. But during Guardians I was top healer around 60k hps the whole night, and some fights peaking 72k hps, not counting overhealing of which I averaged 27% the whole night. So I wouldn't say shamans are going to be bad in heroic progression, just not as well off if people aren't geared/specd/gemmed/reforged right, or don't have a brain about their class. ^.^

HST costs 14,100 mana for resto.

With the glyph giving returns of 100% as opposed to the normal 25%, you effectively gain 10575 mana each time you recall the totem (well not really a gain since you spent the mana to begin, but most people get what is actually meant).

Thus if you recall the totem at the last 1/2 - 1 second (which isn't hard to do by any means), you can "gain" (again not really the best term) 20,000 mana a minute if you use HST on cd. Comes out to about 1600-1700 mp5 if you use it on cd and always recall it right at the proper time. Over the course of a 5 minute fight you could see returns of up to 100,000 mana if you did it on cd.

This is ignoring HTT and MTT, but if you are smart you can drop those while the totem is on CD. Of course the encounter / your raid group's mana is going to dictate when you actually drop these 2, however, and so you don't always get that chance.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I'm having mana issues on Feng, we were not able to kill it after 2 hours of attempts, my HPS has been around 40k to 50k, and pretty much OOM by third phase. Sometimes more and less to be fair. Been switching around trinkets and stats to see what would be the best output. Any of you take crit>mastery? Hows that turning out? I've considered that for the past few hours and I guess I'll try it out tomorrow see if its a positive change.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

HST costs 14,100 mana for resto.

With the glyph giving returns of 100% as opposed to the normal 25%, you effectively gain 10575 mana each time you recall the totem (well not really a gain since you spent the mana to begin, but most people get what is actually meant).

Thus if you recall the totem at the last 1/2 - 1 second (which isn't hard to do by any means), you can "gain" (again not really the best term) 20,000 mana a minute if you use HST on cd. Comes out to about 1600-1700 mp5 if you use it on cd and always recall it right at the proper time. Over the course of a 5 minute fight you could see returns of up to 100,000 mana if you did it on cd.

This is ignoring HTT and MTT, but if you are smart you can drop those while the totem is on CD. Of course the encounter / your raid group's mana is going to dictate when you actually drop these 2, however, and so you don't always get that chance.

I see. Well if I ever run into mana issues such as that, I'll give it a shot. I prefer to watch my mana usage and use what my group needs, and not worry about mana so much. It works well enough for me, and my 9.4k spirit helps well with my co-healers mana problems when I pop Mana Tide. I had misunderstood the way he put it, and thought he meant 100k mana the 1 time he popped the ability.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/08/2012 04:54 AMPosted by Fenlong
Any of you take crit>mastery?

Stack as much spirit as humanly possible. Then opinions vary.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The answer to the gearing question is always more spirit. I'm at 12k in raids now due to many things that people probably dont' have (alchemy, blacksmithing, Heroic Spine of Deathwing drop), but getting close to 10k spirit for raids is very possible in pre-raid gear. I primarily do 25's though, so my mana tide is hitting 5-7 people, doubling the value of spirit compared to not dropping mana tide at all.

In terms of crit v mastery I find myself completely torn. On a fight like 10N Will of the Emperor something like 40% of my healing was AA eligible and I had lots of resurgence proccing spells. Crit would trump there. On 25N Feng I think like 4% of my healing was AA eligible and I had like 0.8 healing wave quality resurgence events per 5 seconds (which is super low). Feng25N I would say mastery, WotE10N I would say crit. Both I wish I could just get a ton of both in addition to maximizing spirit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]