CONSTANT account lockouts

90 Draenei Death Knight
Hello all,

I'm hoping a Blue can answer this for me. I travel frequently between my home and my in-laws who are out of state. Every single time I try to login to my battle.net account (be it the game or even the website) my account gets locked out due to "suspicious activity." I'm assuming the fact that it's a totally different IP range that's triggering the lockout, but this has gotten absolutely ridiculous. I've had to change my password 3 or 4 times in the past month.

So my question is, aside from using an authenticator (I hate them, honestly. I use them enough at work) what options do I have to stop the system from locking my darn account every time I'm not at home? I half want to rage-quit the game every time I want to do something as simple as check my auctions and I have to go through the long and tedious password reset process. I'm all for safety, but when security becomes so tight as to actually hinder usage, then security becomes useless.
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
90 Tauren Druid
10/05/2012 07:41 PMPosted by Mikaeb
So my question is, aside from using an authenticator (I hate them, honestly. I use them enough at work) what options do I have to stop the system from locking my darn account every time I'm not at home?

Basically? None.

Adding an Authenticator will reduce the frequency of the lockouts. Nothing else will. While the system attempts to "learn" your access pattern, yours would seem to be too random to be learned.

Now, you could add SMS protection - it will at least make the security reset process easier.
"As with other situations, the key seems to be giving Jayne a heavy stick and standing back." -- Inara
Edited by Pahanda on 10/5/2012 7:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I'm assuming the fact that it's a totally different IP range that's triggering the lockout, but this has gotten absolutely ridiculous. I've had to change my password 3 or 4 times in the past month.

Yep. Though the system will keep track of your basic access pattern, it has a short memory. If you are always swapping between two different locations you shouldn't have too much trouble, but if you only switch every so often you will likely continue to be locked when switching.

So my question is, aside from using an authenticator (I hate them, honestly. I use them enough at work) what options do I have to stop the system from locking my darn account every time I'm not at home?

There really isn't one. The Authenticator is the single best tool you can use to safeguard your account, which is why the Battle.net security system factors it in. Without an established Authenticator on the account you are likely to have the account locked if your access pattern changes.

If you have a smart phone you may be able to sign up for the SMS Protect feature, which will allow you to more easily manage your security options. Instead of resetting your password you'll would be sent a text. Entering that number would authorize the play session. Though if you are going to do that, why not use an Authenticator? Which comes with an adorable Core Hound pup. >..
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
(I hate them, honestly. I use them enough at work)

There is a reason why businesses, the military, the NSA, and the DHS use them. They work.

I have three I use for work and I also protect my game accounts with them on every subscription-based MMO I play.
Edited by Tamrâ on 10/5/2012 8:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Thanks for the answers, all. I appreciate it.

Pahanda - Sounds like a nice option, but not much different than using an authenticator.

Vrakthris - Is it any time the IP is in a different range even if you're close, geographically? I live in New York and my office is 9 miles away yet it still triggered the system. Now granted, I think our IP ranges are drawn from the main office in Manhattan, but still, the suburbs of the same city shouldn't fire off an alert considering the source IP's are coming from almost the same area.

My in-laws are in western PA, so that I can understand. We go a few times a year, but mostly Summer, Fall, and Winter. How frequently would I have to login for the system to recognize the pattern? This account lockout is only a recent phenomenon, so I'm guessing the security has been tightened a bit only recently. I've had the same travel patterns for almost 3 years.

Tamra - I didn't say they didn't work. I said I despise using them. There's a reason people complain about long waiting lines at the airport too. Again, the greater the security, the less the freedom. I'm not turning this into a political debate, mind you, but while you may be okay with dealing with going through all that just to play a video game, I do not. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be my only option.

Question - Isn't the corehound pup only available with the keyfob authenticator? It's bad enough if I have to go to using one to avoid resetting my password every couple of weeks, but having to pay for it just adds insult to injury. Slightly lessened by a corehound pup, granted. Haha. Still. Ugh, this stinks.

*EDIT* Just read the FAQ. Looks like the mobile (free) version includes it as well.
Edited by Mikaeb on 10/5/2012 10:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Troll Hunter
The system looks at a whole host of things, including IP, Computer, Time of Day, and others we don't even know about.
Reply Quote
Ok so I read the above situation. I have to reset my password 3 to 4 times a month also, but I'm using the same computer, same ip address, behind a firewall and a router, with an authenticator. Why do I always get a lockout? Today I was in a store and got the SMS that my account had been locked out. This only started happening since I installed the Desktop Battle.Net app. I think I'm going to get rid of it and go back to the WOW Launcher.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Ok so I read the above situation. I have to reset my password 3 to 4 times a month also, but I'm using the same computer, same ip address, behind a firewall and a router, with an authenticator. Why do I always get a lockout? Today I was in a store and got the SMS that my account had been locked out. This only started happening since I installed the Desktop Battle.Net app. I think I'm going to get rid of it and go back to the WOW Launcher.

Amberetta, this could also mean someone else is TRYING to get into your account. They can't because your authenticator is stopping them, but they can attempt to.

I'd recommend you try setting up a brand new, unrelated email for use with Battle.net alone. See if this stops. You may wish to do a security sweep of your system prior to setting up that new email as well.

~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~

Got Feedback? Click me.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
12 Human Mage
Referencing the security sweep our lovely sleepy panda referenced you might find the list below helpful.

1. Download, install, and update Malwarebytes (free version is fine). Boot into safe mode and run a FULL (not quick version) scan with the game up and gibberish in the login fields. Some malware only activates under those conditions.
2. When that scan is done, run a FULL virus scan with an updated virus scanner. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and decent these days. Some folks here also like Avast. Better than Nortons, MacAffee, etc.
3. From a PC you know to be free of malware, change your email password. Check it for forwarding as well. Sometimes hackers set up forwarding. Change your bnet password again now that the PC is clean.
4. Create a new email that you use ONLY for battle.net and switch to it. Gmail is great because you can put two factor authentication on it and prevent hackers from logging in without a code.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]