Y'Shaarj & original Well of Eternity

91 Night Elf Druid
Hasn't Anduin been searching for the same Light?

But if Blizzard decided to be subtle this time I would say the Light in Pandaria is the seventh Sha. It would be unexpected and add a certain degree of interesting complexity to the whole situation with the Sha, Y'Shaarj and Pandaria.

I think he's just been exploring.

Not that's a bad thing, of course.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, no. But it's going to be.

Again, knowing Blizzard "The Light was actually Anduin you see, who is the embodiment of what Pandaria represents. He teaches the Alliance that they shouldn't fight just to be fighting!"
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/07/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Dusksworn
Though may I ask anyone who remembers from the questing, what exactly did each August Celestial represent?

Crane = Hope
Serpent = Wisdom
Tiger = Strength
Ox = Endurance? Not sure tbh.

10/07/2012 03:20 PMPosted by Ferlion
Again, knowing Blizzard "The Light was actually Anduin you see, who is the embodiment of what Pandaria represents. He teaches the Alliance that they shouldn't fight just to be fighting!"

In Chinese mythology, the Four Guardians are under Huang Long, the Yellow Dragon.

Five bucks says Anduin is the Yellow Dragon.
Reply Quote
In Chinese mythology, the Four Guardians are under Huang Long, the Yellow Dragon.Five bucks says Anduin is the Yellow Dragon.

You've been reading my fanfiction, haven't you? =P

Huang Long, the Yellow Dragon, is also the symbol/embodiment of the Chinese Emperor, the Son of Heaven. It's worth noticing that Shaohao's shoulderpads depict a Golden Dragon as well.

If Blizzard invested into their storytelling, a connection could be made between the Heart of the Aspects, that resembles a golden cloud serpent more than the traditional Azerothian Dragons, Pandaria, Shaohao, Anduin Wrynn, maybe Chen Stormstout... Such potential.

Of course, nothing like this is ever going to happen.
Edited by Heon on 10/7/2012 3:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
You've been reading my fanfiction, haven't you? =P

Huang Long, the Yellow Dragon, is also the symbol/embodiment of the Chinese Emperor, the Son of Heaven. It's worth noticing that Shaohao's shoulderpads depict a Golden Dragon as well.

If Blizzard invested into their storytelling, a connection could be made between the Heart of the Aspects, that resembles a golden cloud serpent more than the traditional Azerothian Dragons, Pandaria, Shaohao, Anduin Wrynn, maybe Chen Stormstout... Such potential.

Of course, nothing like this is ever going to happen.

Not at all, though I think I may like it <3 I'm just a massive mythology buff, also I'm a pagan (not a wiccan) and study Qabbalah (dont' really practice).

But anyways, I did notice that Heart of the Aspect bit. Especially since there are five aspects, which in theory represent the four elements + magic, BUT you can play it off as the Five Chinese Elements versus the Four Western Elements, and then that means the Dragon Soul is... something or other, but it's embodiment would result in a Huang Long type being.

But I digress with my insane magical theories.

I wonder if perhaps The Three Pure Ones or a Jade Emperor-esque person/Titans will pop up, assuming that Shaohao is the copypasta of Huang Di.

Also, I really hope Huang Di/Shaohao isn't reincarnated as Anduin, because then it's just... Goldrinn gave birth to the First Emperor? No I don't enjoy WoW lore mixing THAT much.
Edited by Baalsamael on 10/7/2012 3:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 03:43 PMPosted by Baalsamael
Also, I really hope Huang Di/Shaohao isn't reincarnated as Anduin, because then it's just... Goldrinn gave birth to the First Emperor? No I don't enjoy WoW lore mixing THAT much.

Not reincarnated, no. But... There's the "Son of Heaven" bit, and Anduin's general holiness and spirituality have been pushed upon us for a time now. I wouldn't put above Blizzard to play on that, making him the one to undo Shaohao's past folly.

And a fellow mythographer, lovely <3
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Well my own theory is that the August Celestials are things of some sort or another that were empowered with this "Light" that might have been released with Y'Shaarj's destruction. Sort of as an attempt of the Titans to correct their mistake and set the various aspects of Y'Shaarj back into balance.

I don't have any real evidence for this but one thing I find odd is how Shaohao was unable to remove Pandaria from the rest of the world until he realized that the Mantid were part of the land after the Celestials told him so...

But Pandaria wouldn't even have been a separate continent back then! What arbitrary rule stated what was or wasn't part of "Pandaria" which would have originally just been a part of primordial Kalimdor? Are the borders of Pandaria marked by the Sha? Did the Celestials just want to preserve the Mantid?

Really, I have no idea. But it should be kept in mind that it was the Celestials who set Shaohao upon the path that would empower the Sha, the Celestial's who made him take the Mantid... As well as the Celestial's who are welcoming everyone to Pandaria to serve some "Fated purpose" they believe we must be meant for.

So what if they are part of some aspect of Y'Shaarj in some way? A more benevolent one than the Sha perhaps but still of Y'Shaarj and fulfilling what may be some sort of instinctive directive and retaining the Old God's protectiveness of the Mantid to some degree.

The Titans could have set them up just filling them with whatever speculative "Light" energy that was released from Y'Shaarj believing that it contained nothing of his personality after his death.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/07/2012 04:07 PMPosted by Dusksworn
But Pandaria wouldn't even have been a separate continent back then! What arbitrary rule stated what was or wasn't part of "Pandaria" which would have originally just been a part of primordial Kalimdor? Are the borders of Pandaria marked by the Sha? Did the Celestials just want to preserve the Mantid?

Because the Mantid are part of Y'shaarj, in a way. And the Vale is in fact somehow related Y'shaarj and the Sha's containment mechanism. Thus you can not separate the Mantid from Pandaria. Which would support Ferlion's theory I shot down :P
Edited by Baalsamael on 10/7/2012 4:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
10/07/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Baalsamael

Because the Mantid are part of Y'shaarj, in a way. And the Vale is in fact somehow related Y'shaarj and the Sha's containment mechanism. Thus you can not separate the Mantid from Pandaria. Which would support Ferlion's theory I shot down :P

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb0gxkyGJU1rvs8sko1_500.jpg
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/10/07/know-your-lore-the-sha/

Anyone else find it interesting that:

a) The Celestials knew about the Sha before Shaohao did.
b) The Jinyu predate the Mogu, therefore lived alongside the Klaxxi, therefore also knew about the Sha
c) The Hozen had a tradition about masks expelling Shas from the body, which legitimately works, and why? Why do masks do that and why do Hozen have that tradition?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
The Masks could be a metaphoric (though with the Hozen, expressed literally) representation of masking the self destructive emotions which let the Sha manifest by directing them to constructive ends. Pulling that out of the top of my head, mind you.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/07/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Caeledor
The Masks could be a metaphoric (though with the Hozen, expressed literally) representation of masking the self destructive emotions which let the Sha manifest by directing them to constructive ends. Pulling that out of the top of my head, mind you.

Except putting a mask on your face literally takes the Sha out of you.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
b) The Jinyu predate the Mogu, therefore lived alongside the Klaxxi, therefore also knew about the Sha
c) The Hozen had a tradition about masks expelling Shas from the body, which legitimately works, and why? Why do masks do that and why do Hozen have that tradition?
Are you sure the Jinyu predate the Mogu? I like sources in that sort of statement.

And the Hozen have that sort of tradition because of one of them discovered it while helping Shaohao. Why the mask works, who knows?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well my own theory is that the August Celestials are things of some sort or another that were empowered with this "Light" that might have been released with Y'Shaarj's destruction. Sort of as an attempt of the Titans to correct their mistake and set the various aspects of Y'Shaarj back into balance.

I don't have any real evidence for this but one thing I find odd is how Shaohao was unable to remove Pandaria from the rest of the world until he realized that the Mantid were part of the land after the Celestials told him so...

Really, I have no idea. But it should be kept in mind that it was the Celestials who set Shaohao upon the path that would empower the Sha, the Celestial's who made him take the Mantid... As well as the Celestial's who are welcoming everyone to Pandaria to serve some "Fated purpose" they believe we must be meant for.

So what if they are part of some aspect of Y'Shaarj in some way? A more benevolent one than the Sha perhaps but still of Y'Shaarj and fulfilling what may be some sort of instinctive directive and retaining the Old God's protectiveness of the Mantid to some degree.

The Titans could have set them up just filling them with whatever speculative "Light" energy that was released from Y'Shaarj believing that it contained nothing of his personality after his death.

Hmm...

Sha of Anger.
Sha of Despair.
Sha of Doubt.
Sha of Fear.
Sha of Hatred.
Sha of Violence.

Chi-Ji, Celestial of Hope.
Niuzao, Celestial of Courage.
Yu'lon, Celestial of Wisdom.
Xuen, Celestial of Strength.

Anyone else seeing a correlation here?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/07/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Dusksworn
Are you sure the Jinyu predate the Mogu? I like sources in that sort of statement.

Check the Jinyu books you collect in the Seat of Knowledge. The second book, Origins:

"the symbols that surround his head are of an unknown language that likely predates the first mogu dynasty".

10/07/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Dusksworn
And the Hozen have that sort of tradition because of one of them discovered it while helping Shaohao. Why the mask works, who knows?

Ah yes, the Monkey King did it by accident, "mischief was the Monkey King's motivation, the mask worked".
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Check the Jinyu books you collect in the Seat of Knowledge. The second book, Origins:

"the symbols that surround his head are of an unknown language that likely predates the first mogu dynasty".
Yes, but not necessarily the Mogu themselves.

Hmm...

Sha of Anger.
Sha of Despair.
Sha of Doubt.
Sha of Fear.
Sha of Hatred.
Sha of Violence.

Chi-Ji, Celestial of Hope.
Niuzao, Celestial of Courage.
Yu'lon, Celestial of Wisdom.
Xuen, Celestial of Strength.

Anyone else seeing a correlation here?
Yes, though I'm not so sure of what each represents other than the Crane. I do believe there is an intended correlation though.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

Well, it is possible that the masks work because the Hozen believe they work. The Hozen believe that the masks will save them from the Sha, the Hozen putting on the mask believes it so that he is only filled with positive emotions when wearing it, dispelling the negative through sheer belief.

Kind of like the Orks in Warhammer, individually they lack much in the way of psychic power but as a whole their beliefs pool together to make impossible things happen. Their very belief (even when it is very very stupid) makes things happen that otherwise could never be.

I believe that the Hozen are inspired from Warhammer Orks, and this is simply one of the ways.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/07/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Dusksworn
Yes, but not necessarily the Mogu themselves.

Ah, true. Mogu are likely Titan constructs made to guard the Vale originally, but somehow I feel like at some point we'll find out Murlocs are actually part of the Aqir empire or something.

10/07/2012 08:03 PMPosted by Tabard
Well, it is possible that the masks work because the Hozen believe they work. The Hozen believe that the masks will save them from the Sha, the Hozen putting on the mask believes it so that he is only filled with positive emotions when wearing it, dispelling the negative through sheer belief.

That is actually brilliant. /applaud
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Posted by Tabard

That is actually brilliant. /applaud

Whilst I agree, it is brilliant speculation, that wouldn't explain the mask working on the Pandaren hosts in Krasarang wilds - of if a person was really possessed by the Sha of doubt... wouldn't their minds be full of doubt that the mask was working anyway thus nullifying the effect?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/07/2012 09:06 PMPosted by Kreeara
Whilst I agree, it is brilliant speculation, that wouldn't explain the mask working on the Pandaren hosts in Krasarang wilds - of if a person was really possessed by the Sha of doubt... wouldn't their minds be full of doubt that the mask was working anyway thus nullifying the effect?

Not at all. After all, not everyone believe in Elune, yet Night Elf priests can still heal you. Don't need to believe in Loa to feel a troll witchdoctor (shadow priest) hurting you.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 09:12 PMPosted by Baalsamael

Not at all. After all, not everyone believe in Elune, yet Night Elf priests can still heal you. Don't need to believe in Loa to feel a troll witchdoctor (shadow priest) hurting you.

Because Elune and the Loa actually exist and can enact their will upon the world?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]