Level 90 Talent choice?

90 Human Hunter
I'm going to hit 90 in the next day or so (I'm also leveling a pally and a few other toons) and have been looking at the level 90 talents. They all feel kind of lackluster and the only one I really played with in beta was the glaive toss, which I wasn't really impressed with.

I am aware that things may have changed since Mists went live and was wondering what talent other hunters are using and more importantly, why they chose that talent over the other choices.

So, which level 90 talent did you chose and why?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Glaive Toss.

It's the best talent that's why.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Powershot hits like a truck, I use it.
Glaive toss hits as hard as an arcane shot, except it slows and has 10 less focus cost...really lackluster talent imo.
And barrage, which does great AoE damage.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
An unusually short post from you Stalkings. Could you explain why you think Glaive toss is the best talent?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Instant Cast.
15 Focus
Hits very very hard for its focus cost.
What you need to remember about it is the following.
1. It hits the primary target for four times the damage on the tooltip.
2. It AoE hits all targets between you and the target for the damage listed.
3. It strikes the primary target 2 times.
4. http://i.imgur.com/iZoGR.png (this was on the dummy w/ no buffs... I think the largest one I have seen was 87kish off one glaive, but I don't have a screenie to back that up so I could be wrong.

Compared to powershot which as I posted earlier hits with my gear w/ BW and everything poped for like 127k w/ a three second cast and 1 min CD and compared to Barrage which well....actually lets just leave barrage alone.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Tanks have been complaining about Powershot's knock back effect, if it didn't have that element to it I'd probably use it just because it has a fun piercing mechanic.

Barrage is 30 focus in 30 seconds while Glaive Toss costs 15 focus in 15 seconds.

More global cool-downs with Glaive Toss but same focus cost as Barrage.

You can also argue that because Glaive Toss is instant cast and Barrage takes time to cast, its easier to incorporate into your shot priority and makes up for the extra global cool-downs by letting you chain more shots in between casts.

Whichever you can use effectively will probably work best.
Reply Quote
I mainly PVE so

Barrage - awesome looking spell but is highly likely to cause accidental pulls. It shoots stuff VERY far away and if the mobs you are targeting move your character spins to keep facing them.

Powershot - has a long cast and knocks things back...not usually a good thing in dungeons.

Glaive Toss - Instant cast, it single targets, it aoes, it even makes jullienne fries! I find it very visually boring but it's the only safe choice for my playstyle :/
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Be careful with barrage. :( It will turn 90 degrees and grab flying mobs...

But yeah, Glaive toss is kinda boring ... seems to be the best still.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Yeah i'm mainly a pve hunter so i was looking at it from a pve perspective. Thanks for the input everyone, looks like the consensus is glaive toss as the one to take.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Be careful with barrage. :( It will turn 90 degrees and grab flying mobs...

But yeah, Glaive toss is kinda boring ... seems to be the best still.

Yep, that is !@#$ty.
My barrage pulls so many trash mobs that are far away, it's pretty fun.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
With my gear, my Glaive Toss hits for about 17-22k (x2) on the main target. It hits about 50-75% harder than Arcane Shot, has the splash/AoE component, a slow, AND it's the cheapest damage skill we have (other than Explosive Trap...). It has by far the best opportunity cost (at this point for me, it's the best shot behind Kill Shot) of the 3 Level 90 talents, as you only lose a GCD, rather than a 2.75+ second cast of the other two (so you're missing Cobra AND an instant). For PvE, Glaive Toss is the clear winner.
Reply Quote
I'm using Glaive Toss for now, but if I get around to switching to BM before they nerf it, I'll probably take Powershot to replace Aimed Shot as my opener from camo.

Does the 30% slowdown from Glaive Toss stack with Concussive's? I haven't checked--I've just assumed a big fat 'no'.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Barrage does have a learning curve, but it does 10X the damage as glaive. Single target or non. You want big numbers go play a mage. Hunters are and will always be about very quick low damage dealing shots.
Reply Quote
10/08/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Critmassive
Barrage does have a learning curve, but it does 10X the damage as glaive. Single target or non. You want big numbers go play a mage. Hunters are and will always be about very quick low damage dealing shots.

Actually, due to it's channel time it does NOT do more damage than glaive.

from EJ ( http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t130605-mop_survival_hunter_guide/ )
Glaive Toss and Power Shot are fairly close in terms of damage so you should use your tool of choice to determine which is best in your gear. Glaive Toss is instant which can be an advantage but also means that it is the only one of the three that does not scale with haste. Barrage will do more damage in a 1 minute window than Power Shot but will cost three times the focus and two times the GCDs and thus lags a bit behind.

Barrage can do a bit more damage in an aoe situation but Glaive does the most in a single target situation and has the least impact on the rest of your rotation. It's the clear winnder for bosses. Also remember that Glaives each hit 4x so the tooltips can be a bit misleading.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/07/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Kyetah
An unusually short post from you Stalkings. Could you explain why you think Glaive toss is the best talent?

Numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I use powershot while raiding and it seems to me to be the most dmg the way i use my rotation. I've tried testing glaive and powershot over and over and still do not understand why people use glaive. I start my raid encounter like this:
send pet
serpent sting
stampede
lynx rush
dire beast
BW
kill command
arcane dump
rapid fire
powershot
readiness
powershot
lynx rush
dire beast
BW
Kill command
arcane dump
And with this play style powershot works "ok" and puts up the bursty numbers that are incorporated with bm. by the end of my rotation i end up some where around 150K, but keep in mind it's not sustianed throughout the encounter and (for fights like feng) i end up between 50-70k dps. I honestly don't understand the massive acceptance of glaive shot and i don't think it's the best pve 90 talent. Feel free to persuade me tho!

EDIT: I play beast mastery and can see it only viable for beast mastery, though BM is the top dps spec atm

EDIT 2: Also would like to note that i haven't seen a hunter (yet) that can't beat me in dps at or above my ilvl
Edited by Stevarino on 10/18/2012 11:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
4 Draenei Mage
10/18/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Stevarino
I honestly don't understand the massive acceptance of glaive shot and i don't think it's the best pve 90 talent. Feel free to persuade me tho!

It is the best because it does the most damage in PvE encounters.

10/18/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Stevarino
EDIT 2: Also would like to note that i haven't seen a hunter (yet) that can't beat me in dps at or above my ilvl

Dat 4/6 DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Glaive Toss only does more damage in PvE until you have a weapon with average damage 9050. Once you get a weapon like the Klaxxi Sprayer, Barrage does more DPS. Try it on a training dummy with Recount or something running.
  • The damage on an upgraded Klaxxi Gun is 7432 - 13806 for an average of 10619.
  • At 640 percent, that's 67961 damage to your primary target.
  • Glaive Toss does a total of 63082 to primary target.
  • With 10 targets within 120 degrees, Barrage will do 33981 damage to each (339808 total)
  • With 10 targets in a line, Glaive Toss with do 16512 damage to each (165120 total)

Over the course of one minute, you can use Glaive Toss 4 times and Barrage twice.
  • Putting primary and 10 secondary targets under the above conditions, in one minute
  • Glaive Toss will avarage 792.5K damage
  • Barrage will rack up 815.5K damage.

Barrage coupled with a misdirect macro can instantly tank for you solo, put all adds in an instance on the tank (useful if healers get targeted), and render PvP pets spawned by Hunters and Warlocks almost completely useless in BGs.

With that all said, if you have the attention spam of a hamster, don't use Barrage, you'll get yourself and everyone else killed. If you're an attentive player, it's a great choice for a myriad of reason.

It's also good to note these numbers change with gear score. These numbers were built from a 489 avg.
Edited by Jerethkhan on 3/1/2013 3:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
They stopped seeking advice about 4 months ago :/
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Powershot is the way to go! Much easier to perform in your rotation, does more dmg than glaive toss also youll get to see big numbers!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]