Best way to level pets?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi folks,

I'm just curious about something - what's the best way to level pets? Is it to grind a beast/mechanical pet up to 25 as fast as possible (due to bonus vs critters/beasts), and then pet swap from lower level pets to those ones while fighting the highest level random pets that can be found? Or is there another method which is more effective than this?

Basically I'm trying to level around 15-20 pets concurrently (I'm treating this a lot like Pokemon, where I'd get very ideal teams for each gym - so, for example, I know there are one or two tamers with 3 dragonkin, so I'm trying to make sure I'll have 3 humanoids ready. I know, it's a bit OCDish and very unnecessary, but I enjoy being thorough with games like this), and knowing the best method to level will help make the process as efficient as possible. As well as helping out when I get better at pet battling and start to find out which pets are actually worth levelling.

Thanks for your help!

Jax
Reply Quote
i am also leveling multiple pets at the same time, but what i have done is set up "teams" for my alts im currently playing 4 different toons, so thats 12 pets, and i just q for battles while im questing, and it seems to work for me, then i can swap them out if i happen upon a trainer while im questing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The way I power level pets is find an area with lots of wild pets that respawn relativity that is near a stable keeper. Have the pet you want to power level in slot 1, and have it take 1 action then replace with a pet that can solo the rest of the encounter. After each match / as needed, fly back to the stable master and heal up, and rinse and repeat.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/09/2012 05:51 AMPosted by Masayume
The way I power level pets is find an area with lots of wild pets that respawn relativity that is near a stable keeper. Have the pet you want to power level in slot 1, and have it take 1 action then replace with a pet that can solo the rest of the encounter. After each match / as needed, fly back to the stable master and heal up, and rinse and repeat.

That's pretty much exactly what I've been doing, except rather than doing it near a stable keeper I've just been cycling through my lv 10s while waiting for the resurrect pets button to finish cooling down. So is this the best method then?

I'd imagine it'd be even better if I rushed a pet or two to 25 and did it this way.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Another way that I use is using a pet that is heavy on healing, Little Fawn works wonders for this, it can group heal in case the pet you are power leveling gets dangerously low from aoe/back row attacks, and it can self heal. Panther Cub also is great since it can Devour on last hit to self-heal, and he hits pretty hard, but of course he can't heal other pets.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
So what's the best place to PL? I've been doing swamp of sorrows (stablemaster, lots of wild pets, only one back row) but the problem is it's only good to level 10 or so and I hate the wild pets there.
Reply Quote
71 Orc Shaman
So what's the best place to PL? I've been doing swamp of sorrows (stablemaster, lots of wild pets, only one back row) but the problem is it's only good to level 10 or so and I hate the wild pets there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTVUJuDS3ww might be what you are looking for
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think, theoretically, the best place would be wherever the highest level pets are, provided that you have enough high lv pets yourself (or a stable master nearby) that you could comfortably kill the opposing teams without too much downtime, if any. Seeing as the higher the level of the opposing creatures, the more xp your power-levelee will get.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/09/2012 06:59 AMPosted by Totemez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTVUJuDS3ww might be what you are looking for

That was a very, very good guide. Thanks for the link!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
My strat on lvling pets is like this. Put a low lvl out first, attack, let it take one hit or just immediately swap it out if you think it will get one shotted, and then proceed to tear it up with your high lvl.

I will usually start this when I get one to 5 or 6th lvl and attacking against like 12 -15th lvlish pets.

Also some of the pets you don't even have to lvl. GOod to catch one at low lvls but most have counterparts at higher lvls. So all you have to do is catch the higher lvl one and release the lower lvl one. Thats usually just for the generics like rabbits, toads squirrles you know the ones you will see in almost every zone.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
10/09/2012 10:24 AMPosted by Oreooze
My strat on lvling pets is like this. Put a low lvl out first, attack, let it take one hit or just immediately swap it out if you think it will get one shotted, and then proceed to tear it up with your high lvl.

Your low level pet has to stay out one full round, or it won't get exp. If they are getting one-shotted, fight lower level wild pets.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
the most efficient manner of levelling is via farming exp with one level 25 and whatever pet you want levelled.

It's basically Magicarp from Pokemon all over again.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
I think the better question is what would be your preferred way of leveling pets? Assuming we could change the system to be more rewarding to how we think pet leveling should be.

I have a couple issues with the current process.

- Its better to kill off pets mid fight so that the xp is focused on one pet.
This should be changed, I think its more compelling to try to keep all pets alive and receive a bonus for that.

- Its better to team up pets with max/near max level pets for the quickest XP gain
I think this is another thing that needs changing, you should either be encouraged to battle teams of near equal level through much more generous XP gains or you should be restricted form teaming pets with too great a level gap.

- There is not enough to do from 1-25 pet leveling
Challenging pet tamers is great but a lot of the time your pet is not suitable to fight a tamer and worse if it dies it gets no XP for its contribution (consider granting it 50% XP on death).
The matchmaking pvp system is not tuned enough to give fair fights (always 1 pet of much higher level).
I would like more quests available for leveling pets, quests that can increase pet quality, allow allocating stat points, heck even if they are just win 5 pvp battles, win 5 wild battles, capture 5 critters, etc it gives different things to do.

When you consider the time investment on each pet battle maybe you could add loot for a win? Remember 1 pet battle takes as much time as several monster kills.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Add to above, the difficulty bonus should be reversed into a difficulty penalty. More xp for fighting equal level mobs, less xp for fighting lower/higher.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
What I do is put the pet I wanna level in slot 1, go to valley of the four winds close to halfhill where a stable master is, open the fight with the pet I wanna level then switch to my ghostly skull, proceed to kill all the enemies with my skull but before I deal the final hit on the final pet I use unholy ascension, this will kill my skull and debuff the enemy, then I simply switch back to the pet I wanna level to let him deal the finishing blow, giving him the full experience as if he solod all 3.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
10/09/2012 02:12 PMPosted by Shalura

Your low level pet has to stay out one full round, or it won't get exp. If they are getting one-shotted, fight lower level wild pets.

I do it all the time. Put the low lvl out attack, get hit. Switch to higher lvl. finish the match. Low lvl gets xp. Thats how it works with me. I don't know how it works with you.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I always have a rare crab, a few levels above the wild pets in the area, as a tank, but try not to use it. My first pet is as low level as can safely survive one or two rounds at that level, and my second pet is one level below the "natives". That way the first two both get bonus points. Rather than just concentrating on levelling up I comb the area looking for rares or pets I don't have. If I'm waiting to be able to heal I do questing or gathering inbetween battles. However I usually have a heap of pets to level up and just swap between them until I can heal the lot.

Don't bother levelling anything that's not rare, as you'll be sure to find a rare later and need to level that too. If you want to use a particular pet, find a rare of it first. You might even want to find a rare with the configuration you want, either speed or attack emphasised, or with them equal.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I always have a rare crab, a few levels above the wild pets in the area, as a tank, but try not to use it. My first pet is as low level as can safely survive one or two rounds at that level, and my second pet is one level below the "natives". That way the first two both get bonus points. Rather than just concentrating on levelling up I comb the area looking for rares or pets I don't have. If I'm waiting to be able to heal I do questing or gathering inbetween battles. However I usually have a heap of pets to level up and just swap between them until I can heal the lot.

Don't bother levelling anything that's not rare, as you'll be sure to find a rare later and need to level that too. If you want to use a particular pet, find a rare of it first. You might even want to find a rare with the configuration you want, either speed or attack emphasised, or with them equal.

Yea you can do that or you can just wait for the patch and make whichever pet you want into a rare. In the upcoming patch you will have that ability. Of course it is always subject to change but thats what I have heard.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
10/10/2012 07:09 AMPosted by Oreooze

I do it all the time. Put the low lvl out attack, get hit. Switch to higher lvl. finish the match. Low lvl gets xp. Thats how it works with me. I don't know how it works with you.

That is one full round...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]