Opinion on undercutting by 1 copper.

90 Human Mage
I'm really curious of your opinions on people who undercut by 1 copper on the auction house and then spend hours on end making sure they stay the lowest by 1 copper. Is it just me or does it seem kinda %!%%*##% to undercut by 1 copper but not as much if it's 50 silver (obviously these are 150+ gold items). Does 1 copper make you purchase it instead of the other that is 1 copper more?

I've seen this (as enchanting) with Rottenjohnny personally and it's frustrating so I simply sell in trade chat for the most part now since it's easier. Now when I buy off the AH I buy the ones 1 copper more just so they don't get my money =P
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I always buy the lowest ones. When I undercut I usually round down though. Like if something is 33g min and 33g 35s max I sell for 33g/33g 30s. But if it's 256g min and 317g 98s max then I just do 256g/317g.
Reply Quote
87 Human Warrior
In theory, it's a technique used to maximize your profit as well as annoy your competition, depending how annoying you are with it. I've seen a couple of addons where a 1 copper undercut is preset, and the person may not have even put any thought into it. Personally, I avoid doing it unless it's against someone whose tactics annoy me. It's a double-edged sword though, because a third person may see ME as being the "jerk" and a Lightfool says, buy from the guy I was undercutting instead.

I'm much more bothered by pages and pages of single auctions. No one wants just 1 volatile earth! Come on, list it in stacks of 4, 5, 10, or 30 like it's used in various professions.

As to your other part, I don't like campers, whether they're undercutting by 1 copper or 15 silver. They either list one item at a time and list a new one when they get undercut, or they cancel all their auctions and list them lower than you in a fresh wall. It's an effective way of making a lot of gold, but it results in no social life. They can be fun to mess with though. In Cataclysm, I played chicken with one of these people with meta gems. She'd list 3, I'd list 1, she'd cancel and repost below me, I'd post 1 more, repeat 5 or 6 times until she was posting at 1/3 her original price, so I'd buy them up. In fact, I witnessed this same kind of war between her and someone else, haha. I watched both prices until they hit rock-bottom, bought them out, and reposted at better prices. Why craft yourself what you can buy during a price war?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I will sometimes put stuff up for a copper less, but more often than not I do what Lightfool said. Still, those people that spend their entire day sitting at the AH making sure their stuff is always the cheapest are playing an entirely different game then us. Perhaps it's just the part of the market I'm part of (JC) but I have never had my stuff not sell for days or weeks at a time for these types of people. And I continue to enjoy the other parts of the game, the parts that I pay for. They pay to sit on the AH and make more fake gold than they'll ever need for anything in this game. If you can't take some sort of pleasure from that thought, I dunno what to tell you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The Wow iphone app automatically has it preset to undercut by one copper and it's so much easier just to click "okay" rather than typing a new amount. When I buy stuff, I always buy the cheapest and don't pay attention to how much cheaper it is. *Unless* I see a guildmate selling the same item then I'll buy from him if it's not much more expensive.
Yes, Rottenjohnny undercuts by 1c and is very successful at selling. He doesn't spend hours camping the ah like some may think, he has learned how to be efficient. People have learned that he is an honest seller and his 1c undercuts have made him one of the wealthiest on the server. I wouldn't take it personally.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Let me please explain why I personally undercut by one copper. It comes from the days of 3.1 when TN had three gold sellers (who I put out of business). They would camp the auction house from 11am until about 4am. It was very difficult beating them. Over the course of a few days of undercut wars, the price of an item could go down substantially. I apologize for my aggressive auction house ways. It stems from trying my best to put the gold sellers out of business. I do not camp the auction house anymore and haven't for well over a year because the gold sellers are long gone. It is very easy to undercut me because I enjoy pvp'ing most of the time. You will see me at the auction house of a morning because that is when I get my auctions in order for the day. The person above that thinks I camp the auction house obviously does not know me and what I do. I personally respect when people undercut me by a minimal amount rather than by a large amount. To me when someone undercuts me by one copper, I take it as a “tip of the hat” from a fellow auction house professional. Again, I am sorry if I have rubbed anyone the wrong way. I love playing wow and never get mad about getting undercut. So please undercut me by one copper : P
P.S. if you want to know what I do with all my fake gold that I can never spend, ask any guild member in my guild. I have spent over a million of my own gold stocking up our guild bank and helping members out with everything.
Edited by Rottenjohnny on 10/11/2012 12:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Say it's an item you sell often in a market you always have a hand in. Would you honestly RATHER have someone destroy the value of your product by being an utter derp and undercutting you by 50%?

Undercutting by 1c is to keep the price of that item within a certain area. Nothing more.

People don't understand that if someone wants something, the price is almost pointless. All the buyer cares about is getting the cheapest one that is available (yeah, no one will pay 6000g for a stack of Peacebloom; Not even if it's the cheapest on the AH. I know.).

I don't get annoyed if someone undercuts me by a copper. I get annoyed when someone undercuts my three stacks of Heartblossom for 120g/stack by listing 20 stacks for 60g/each just because they think they will "sell faster".
Edited by Siva on 10/13/2012 6:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
WTB Blazing Drake - 625k.

If only there was someone dumb enough to let it go for such a reasonable price!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Understood. Thank you all for your inputs. It was just something that had been bothering me since I moved this toon to TN. On the server where most of my toons are (very low pop) when I list things 90% of the time it's got little to no competition and I make out very well. It's just a small town gold maker coming to a Metropolis lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
One gotta thank you, Rotten Johnny, for your honesty! You see yourself as a lone ranger on a crusade against the gold sellers haha

Wouldn't it be easier to give Blizz a call about suspicious activities on your realm instead?!

As for the "annoyance" part.. There's thousands of people like moi casually playing WoW to get entertained on the weekends sometimes trying to make few extra gold at the AH but stand no chance because of people like you.. You mentioned something about "..million gold.." well THAT says it all..
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Discounted
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yeah I have to admit, seeing people cutting gem prices by 70-80 gold in one undercutting confuses and bothers me much more than seeing my stuff undercut by 1 copper. At least with that the price stays safe and stable, and I can just wait till a better time to post my auctions up.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
QQ MOAR
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I often buy the more expensive one if the undercut is 1 copper. To that end, I've been overcutting by 1 copper too, to make it look like some d-bag undercut me. You'd be surprised how well that works.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
11/13/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Darjee
I often buy the more expensive one if the undercut is 1 copper. To that end, I've been overcutting by 1 copper too, to make it look like some d-bag undercut me. You'd be surprised how well that works.

Quite the opposite on alliance. Meta gems get undercut down to less than crafting costs. Glyphs get undercut down to 3 gold, by someone in this thread (Discounted - alt) who thinks no one knows his bank alts. I usually undercut by 1 copper or 1% on larger items. Just so the prices stay stable.

Basically, the Alliance AH sucks.
Edited by Moose on 11/13/2012 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
One major problem is that the disparity between crafting professions and gathering professions for end game ability is so high that few would consider raiding (or taking raiders) with gathering professions.

Yes, yes, I am a skinner. I have not yet dropped it because sadly, I am the only skinner in my guild, and critical strike rating isn't that worthless to monks.

Blizzard would be better off making gathering professions closer in potency to crafting professions. Not equal, of course, but closer, so that they were more useful in the long run. Then there would be more people gathering and less people crafting.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
To Moose: I'm not sure why you think I think no one knows my bank alts. I couldn't care less. I sell glyphs for 3 gold because I'm selling them to people that want to actually sell glyphs.
Edited by Rottenjohnny on 11/13/2012 4:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
11/13/2012 04:25 PMPosted by Rottenjohnny
To Moose: I'm not sure why you think I think no one knows my bank alts. I couldn't care less. I sell glyphs for 3 gold because I'm selling them to people that want to actually sell glyphs.

I'm sorry, but, don't come in here and make a giant wall of incoherent text explaining why you personally undercut by 1 copper when you aren't. You've pretty much ruined the glyph market, good job.
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Death Knight
I have never sold anything for 99 silver 99 copper, just to undercut something at 1 gold. I will price my sells exactly where the lowest price is as long as it's not too low. If i feel i should make more from something, I hold on to it until I can sell it at a reasonable price. Having good bags helps.

If i need something and the lowest price is 1 copper less I always by the more expensive one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I think what people like RottenJohnny does is just smart economics.

Also I smell commies in this thread.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]