10 mans on intel HD4000/ laptop advice

90 Draenei Shaman
Seeking general laptop advice...
My main requirement is being able to play 10 mans at good settings.
If intel HD4000 or the like can't do it, what would get me there?

Does anyone have experience trying to do 10 mans with laptops using only the intel HD400 igpu?
I read through Kalganized's guide and several other laptop advice threads, but I'm still lacking some perspective.

For reference... my desktop does ultra w/o breaking a sweat, but this is what I am using now when I have to use my laptop:
5yr old laptop
Core2 Duo T7200 2Ghz
2GB ram (system max... I can't add more)
nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS
SSD for the drive (this is what I think even makes this even playable at all at this point)

I normally run at low settings, but using an external 1680x1050 monitor.
Surprisingly, in Cata I would only have to turn off recount and some addons in LFR... it was generally otherwise playable.

Would intel HD 4000 laptops perform worse that what I have?
If they are on par or better... Then I'd be really tempted to just skip the dedicated GPU laptops... maybe experiment with some of the Win8 tablety form factors coming soon.

Right now I'm just waiting to see what happens with the Win8 releases and other holiday sales coming up... trying to size up my options... No particular budget, but I'd rather not spend money on stuff I don't need to hit good settings in 10 mans.

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Imo, HD4000 isn't going to cut it. For a low cost laptop that can run WoW, you're looking at AMD Trinity, the A10-4600m or the A8-4500m, but don't pay more for those than what it costs to get an Intel machine - even an I3 or SB/IB Pentium if they exist - with dedicated Geforce 630m.

Charts from Notebookcheck are linked in this thread for quick reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/80426-35-4600m-decent

A10-4600m: 73fps on medium details, 31fps on high

I5 2450M + Geforce 630M: 148fps on medium, 51fps on high

HD4000 is a little better than half as fast as the A10-4600m's inegrated 7660g, and lags behind the 7660g in WoW according to the Notebookcheck chart by 35%.

Here is a cheap one that will run WoW well: Acer i3+630m: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215411

You can bump up to I5 for $600 for an Acer, $630 for a Lenovo.
Edited by Selvaganesh on 10/11/2012 8:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]