Prot Pally PvP

54 Dwarf Hunter
Is it possible? (something besides flag carrying)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
No idea but my best guess is without vengeance it's gonna be a super long fight.
Reply Quote
54 Dwarf Hunter
Prot pallys need a damage buff IMO. Not a lot, but enough to hold their own.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
NO!

I've tried a couple hours as prot in MoP and have to say it's absolutely HORRIBLE

Our DPS without Veng is absolutely horrible. You are not meant to actually 'kill' anything at all and you won't, trust me on that ;)

As for flag carrying, it's very much a mixed bag but overall I have to say again - no - it's no good. The burst from DPS specs right now is way too high and the CC is far too strong.

Since prots do not get Emancipate, we're easily slowed and our defensive cooldowns are almost useless against the general melee you'll attract as a FC.

If you want to just sword n board for shiz n giggles in random BGs, by all means.

But you'll have no role at all in Arena.
No roles at all in RBGs
And you won't really kill anything at all.

If that sounds like fun to you, go right ahead and be Captain America for laughs, because that's about all the viability prot pallies have in PvP nowadays.

Prot was good up until the Veng nerf in early Cata.

Since then, it's been a waste of time.

There's a reason why there's no 2200 prot pallies out there after all.

Go Ret or Holy instead IMHO.
Reply Quote
54 Dwarf Hunter
In that case, we should make this the official buff protection paladins thread. -_-
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I do this from time to time. I am hard to kill, but there are better for flag carrying. As far as killing something, I can go one on one with a healer and the healer won't even need to burn any mana. I do less DPS than any other spec besides heals. They might be able to out dps me if they try.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
In cata i did 2 mana arenas with two prot and won 95 percent of the time is it better or worse in mop
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
loved it witch vengeance during cata,kinda wish they'd make a dps class that uses a shield..
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
Its glory day was in Wrath, when ShoR scaled with shield block value, it hit harder then at level 80 then it does now.

It really cant compare to the other tank specs Warrior, Druid & Monk all have great mobility and decent damage, self healing and peels.

A lot of the problem is the Paladins overall weak class toolkit, silence locks you out of your entire spell book and Prots lack of damage is absurdly low. Healers can DoT more offensive pressure then you can dish out trying to DPS

Casters will train cc/silence explode you

Holy priest probably makes for a better fc then prot pally

The ironic part now is the only spec you'll be able to kill is a Ret with proper silences
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
02/08/2013 06:49 PMPosted by Meganfoxadin
he ironic part now is the only spec you'll be able to kill is a Ret with proper silences
no
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Honestly i had a different experiance now i dont pvp much only did it for the legendary quest chain and its possible that those two BG lent themselves to favor Prot abilities but i was wearing half ret and prot gear got my haste up to 19% and str increased 1k with food buffs etc my mastery stayed around 20% and didnt have a problem at all as a matter of fact the horde didnt really engage me, used holy prisim and when we fought dealt aoe blow plus aoe heal. Did about 5 bg each all victories and not much damge and i was still hitting with my shield etc crit about 100k + now it was in a support role the whole time guarding and protecting the carts etc so its not like i was a dps magnet and maybe i was lucky maybe the the horde that i was battling in didnt have as good as gear like i said take this with a grain of salt but i wasnt as bad as i thought it would be a few tweeks and i think it could be okay as a guarding role.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/11/2012 10:56 PMPosted by Brannix
In that case, we should make this the official buff protection paladins thread. -_-

While I would love to see this, Blizzard stated during Cataclysm that Protection is not intended to be a PvP-viable spec. While they haven't supported tanking specs in PvP in general, to my knowledge, Protection paladins are the only spec to be specifically called out as intended to be non-viable.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/10/2013 11:00 AMPosted by Camaeris

While I would love to see this, Blizzard stated during Cataclysm that Protection is not intended to be a PvP-viable spec. While they haven't supported tanking specs in PvP in general, to my knowledge, Protection paladins are the only spec to be specifically called out as intended to be non-viable.

I really hate that they would intentionally make Prot [Pallies] bad at PvP. This is my favorite spec and has been since I hit level 10. (This'll sound cheesy but here I go) This character has a place in my heart (or game, rather) and he won't be switching to Holy or Ret any time soon. I will PvP with this character and I don't care if its "viable" or not, but being able to do things other than being...well, THERE, would be nice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I had to say something on this thread....

I love my prot pally in PvP.

I read so much about everyone saying they are non viable in PvP and I think this is bull!@#$.

I can kill things FINE its a matter of specing your toon correctly, I agree my damage output is low but my survivability is through the roof.

I have 525k HP, 66% resil and a good 60k armor. with a little bit of respecing I can finally burst through a warriors second wind, one thing I thought prot could ever do.

I only fear mages, boomies and shadow priests who have intense spell damage who hit through that armor. Otherwise a warrior in full Mal with burst hits me a max 12k...

As for arenas, I arena in 2v2 with a warrior and we do alright. My CC + his CC + his burst + my utilities = good rotation... If you can use hand of freedom, hand of sacrafice and hand of protection well in a team environment stacked on to glyph of battlehealer and stack as much STR as you can (50% attack power = spell power). You then have a good healer\damage mitigator at your disposal which works great with a warrior combo.

In battlegrounds I have done a few RBG's not enough to call myself an expert. But again I think with the utilities a prot has it makes them one of the BEST tanks in an RBG. sure they rely on a healer alittle more. but combined with your utilities the healer will stay alive long enough to keep you up...

Eg. Hand of protection on healer to stop all physical damage and stuns while he heals himself and me.

scenario 2, hand of sacrafice to reduce healers damage taken by 30% and give it to me. Healer can focus on healing me while only ticking himself with heals.

both scenarios stop the HEALER from being bursted so that the entire team can focus fire on me.

THIS is the importance of prot pallies, they have a LITTLE less self survivability but they can keep TEAM members alive which in turn helps YOU stay alive.

So in PvP I still think they are VERY VERY viable the only thing we are missing is a TINY damage buff to put us on par with all the other tanks like... blood DKs for example who can spec to hit like trains...

Again the 789% damage increase to Conc is a good start with this and eventually I hope to see us get a little more damage increase...

But I sure as hell wont let people say that prot pally is non-viable in PvP.

@Camaeris, that is complete bull%^-*. Regardless of what blizzard has said in the past their goal is to make all specs... all round viable.

All classes are good for PvP and all are good for PvE if you think otherwise and you play a class you think is not good in one environment... Your playing it wrong or just really suck at the class.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
@Camaeris, that is complete bull%^-*. Regardless of what blizzard has said in the past their goal is to make all specs... all round viable.

All classes are good for PvP and all are good for PvE if you think otherwise and you play a class you think is not good in one environment... Your playing it wrong or just really suck at the class.

I agree that it's complete bull!@#$. It also wasn't my decision and Blizzard's track record is that they won't address the issue any time soon.

The spec can survive pretty decently, particularly with some supplemental heals. But the levels of mobility, control, and damage it has are sub-par compared to a Blood DK or a Protection Warrior, and if you think that isn't the case or that the spec will be adjusted to have parity with those classes, you are fooling yourself.

You may not like it and regardless of how you took the tone of my post I *certainly* don't like it. One of my arena partners (and general MMO PvP partners) of 2-3 years has been playing Protection since Cata. Next season they are going Holy. For the record, I fought tooth and nail against them swapping over, because I'd rather they played the spec they love, but they say they're fulfilling a similar role but feel ten times more effective despite fighting a massive gear disparity this late in the season. This is someone I thought would stick with Protection, PvE or PvP, until the day they quit WoW.
Edited by Camaeris on 2/17/2013 9:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 06:49 PMPosted by Meganfoxadin
Healers can DoT more offensive pressure then you can dish out trying to DPS
This.

And this is coming from the guy who does Prot PvP and tries on PvP power for size.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I understand where most people are coming from but I mean.... 100x out of 100, I have owned blood DKs with no problem at all I just cant compete with prot warriors increased resil + secondwind.

But blood Dks are WAY to easy to take down for me. They take a long time to get down but I have never been beaten by a blood DK. They have nice damage and burst which does nothing on an equally geared tank and I have ALOT of spell damage which hits through their armor...

So all in All against a blood I am doing more damage to them then they are to me.

Again I have to toally disagree with you guys, DoT's are only effective by classes who actually use them. Eg. a disc priest with shadow word pain on me and vampiric touch....

Both those things combined may tick me for 10k.... a shadow priest will tick me for 20k
holy ticks me for 2 >.<

Warlock affliction curses tick me 15 - 25k, demo with a few curses on me ticks 7k...

So if a healer is using DoTs then there is NO way they can be putting out more damage then you... or again learn to play the class... My DPS may not be AMAZING but for a prot its passable and can down things.

Average DPS is around 12 - 13k when speced correctly for it. (Oh noes guess what? Its enough to hit through Warriors second wind... well most besides a prot warrior with increased mitigation) so don't be sayin we can't do enough damage. Its just a slow steady and well timed output rather then smashing with 30k constantly.

My point is, they are viable and your friend is an absolute moron for re-specing holy because "he feels" the class is !@#$... Again that person just needs to man up and learn to play his class a little differently.

OUR PLAY STYLE has changed. this does NOT make us non-viable in anyway just you idiots who think its too hard now and we do nothing have no idea what they are talking about or are doing.

HOWEVER, I do agree that our major defensive cooldown SHOULD be changed from a bubble which makes us drop the flag... This is one reason we are not wanted and that our damage is the lowest of all the tanks making us essentially uselss besides for holding that flag and being a walking fortress

On the same note, I would like some one to REALLY explain to me how a warrior has ANY mobility at all O.o they are slow, have no move which can remove slow downs. no move which can speed them up? so I would LOVE to know why everone is favoring prot warrriors for "mobility" when again prot pallies have the best of this...

15% speed increase nativly + 5% per holy power makes us fast
clemency + hand of freedom allows us to be immune to slow down for 12 seconds

These two moves in themself are more then a prot warrior has in the way of "mobility" so this is something I would like an answer to.
Edited by Kriogenic on 2/17/2013 3:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
NO MORE INQUABOOOOM TOWELLIEE!!

aka no more inquisiton for prot pallies
Reply Quote
I miss prot pally Pvping, i still do it occasionally for !@#$s and gigs and enjoy watching the little hordies trying to kill me, but atm we just cant put out the damage to be viable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]