Player Housing done right!

90 Human Hunter
Hey all! So one feature that's brought up a lot is player housing. A lot of people would love having their own personal space inside Warcraft though who knows if we'll ever receive such a feature.

Rift on the other hand is going pretty big on implementing this idea into their game, they announced 'Dimensions' for their upcoming expansion. This feature lets players not only just place furniture inside of a house, it let's them acquire pieces of land found in the overworld, or even inside of a dungeon you've been to previously. As you progress you can acquire more dimensions to play and build inside. They don't just give you a house, they let you make the house, and everything in between. You can also invite or visit other players dimensions and all that jazz. Check out the promo vid here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhSDMooGes

I can't express how awesome this is, I can only wish Blizzard would be as ballsy and go all out on a feature like this. Imagine the roleplaying possibilities, all of the customization... you could basically create scenarios inside of a dimension to progress a guild story line, etc. etc.!

Now, a downside that Blizzard likes to bring up is 'it takes players out of the cities.' and whatnot. Personally I just don't think that will be the case if you keep auctions/vendors inside the cities like they are now, there will always be people out there and not just holed up in their housing.

What are you guys' opinions? Pros, cons, would you like to see something like this implemented? I'm curious!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Player Housing = Do want.

I don't know about the whole 'done right' thing. It's hard to say how Player Housing could be done right in a game that's never had it.

I think player housing was done right in Dark Age of Camelot. But that model of housing would not mesh well, if at all, in WoW.

If and when Blizzard decides to add player housing, I hope they are open to a lot of feedback and ideas. I hope they'll listen to the pros and cons and concerns of everyone involved or looking forward to it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Part of me wants to believe that the farm at Halfhill is something of a test to see player desire for player housing.
Edited by Ruvok on 10/11/2012 5:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
10/11/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Ruvok
Part of me wants to believe that the farm at Halfhill is something of a test to see player desire for player housing.

It's like them barely putting their pinky toe into a tiny puddle so to speak. Though I suppose it is sort of a way to gauge player interest, if not for housing but for having a personalized place in the world for them to keep track of and interact with.
Edited by Novilica on 10/11/2012 5:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Mage
Do it like it's implemented in Runescape. An entire skill that has to be leveled (and is expensive to do) to get more than a basic house, but... well, the RS system is pretty detailed. And it works really well. And players are still all over the cities.
Reply Quote
Too bad Rift is barely played and there's like no RP :<
Edited by Björn on 10/11/2012 5:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Hmm... having the entire thing being put into a skill that you can progress/level up is interesting. But why put such a limitation on players? Personally I think it would be better if instead there was just a furniture/decoration type profession where players could craft and sell player housing related items or something.

Too bad Rift is barely played and there's like no RP :<

Not really talking about Rift's player base or RP here.
Edited by Novilica on 10/11/2012 5:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Mage
Hmm... having the entire thing being put into a skill that you can progress/level up is interesting. But why put such a limitation on players? Personally I think it would be better if instead there was just a furniture/decoration type profession where players could craft and sell player housing related items or something.

In RS, you can build a basic house without leveling your Construction skill (and in RS you can level all trade skills, there's no cap of 2 like in WoW). A higher construction level just lets you build a bigger house, better furniture*, and cool stuff like a games room or dungeon. It's actually really neat.

*You can actually buy furniture and put it in your house regardless of your skill, but you have to have a certain skill to manufacture furniture.

And I like the furniture/decoration thing, although that sounds like a Woodworking profession to me... Which, if you ask me, would also be awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
I think Guild Housing would be a good first step towards this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I want player housing so badly. My farmville, castleville, and Tillers farms can attest to my neurotic need to decorate and organize.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Blizzard aren't going to implement guild housing, they've said it a few times

They want to keep people out of the cities and in the world. That's why they removed HGWT and added CRZ.

Player housing flies in the face of all of that
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Mage
10/11/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Wrenchester
Blizzard aren't going to implement guild housing, they've said it a few times

IIRC, Blizzard also said things like no pandaren, no neutral races, no race change, no faction change...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
I liked how LotRO and DAoC did player housing.

They had an instanced zone for housing. Various zones that had different layouts and scenery too. You were able to buy a plot for the house within a neighborhood, so other people had houses too in that zone. Then of course you could buy/collect/build/etc furniture and what not to decorate your house and yard.

I doubt WoW will ever do something like that. But would love it if they did.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
There are a lot of questions that need to be asked and answers that need to be pondered regarding player housing. Among these are:

What will the purpose of Player Housing serve?
How will Player Housing affect the game?
How will it affect the players?
Will it be merely cosmetic or will it have tangable benefits?
Where will it be located?
How will it be accessed?

Blizzard will have to ponder things like:

Will we have housing a zone(s)? Will it be instanced? Will it be phased?
Will there be one location or multiple locations?
How will it be accessed? Portal to it? Instance zone? Out in the open (as in moving from one zone to another)?
What kind of houses will be avaliable? Will there be different sizes? Race specific builds? Faction specific builds?
What will players be able to do with the house? Will houses be player specific or guild specific or avaliable to both?
Will we be able to customize the house? With what and how much?
Will there be a cost associated with the house? How much? One time cost or continuous cost? (daily, weekly or monthly?)
If there is a upkeep cost associated with the house, what happens to the house if the player/guild fails to keep up with the cost?
What happens to the stuff inside the house if 'repo' happens?
Can you own more then 1 house?
Will houses be tied to characters or accounts?
If visitors are allowed to access the house, what controls will be avaliable to... well... control access?

Player Housing isn't simple by any means. There are just a lot of things to consider that come with player housing.

I'm all for it. But I don't want it to be done half-hearted and be something simple that no one likes and therefore no one uses.
Reply Quote
10/11/2012 07:17 PMPosted by Shabeard

IIRC, Blizzard also said things like no pandaren, no neutral races, no race change, no faction change...

how are you still unafilliated to a faction at 21
Reply Quote

Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
I hope they don't.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/11/2012 08:08 PMPosted by Nicoletti
I hope they don't.

I hope they do.

I never saw the supposed 'cries from the masses for Pandaren' that Blizzard claimed there was. I have seen the cries from the masses for Player Housing.

Not just on this forum but on General and RP forums.

Players want it. A lot of players want it. Especially after Cataclysm and seeing the houses in Gilneas. The desire for it (player housing) has been here much longer then the desire for Pandas.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
10/11/2012 07:58 PMPosted by Altaiea

From what I understand, got to level 21, got to the next place monks go (somehow), and then got on a two-person mount to fly away like the fancy bastard that he is.

Back to the topic at hand, I would -love- player housing, but I agree with Shril. If it's going to get done, it needs to get done right. I can see the argument that they did your farm up in Halfhill as a sort of test to see how well it'll pan out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]