Are critters a liability?

90 Draenei Death Knight
I've been considering a team that includes a pair of critters, for a specific reason. (One of them has to be a critter, the other is a decent support pet.) However, one of my guildies, who's also been poking at the pet battle meta-game claims that critters are a liability. I could see that in the sense that beast-type attacks are common, but at the same time I'm not sure how many players will keep their beast attacks equipped.

Is this really the case?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I would agree to some extent. Critters aren't very versatile and have very few attacks that actually do a decent amount of damage.
Reply Quote
Critters do more damage to Undead
Critters do less damage to Human
Critters take more from Beasts
Critters take less from Elements

Bonus is CC breakage...

I think Undead have the potential to be nasty (looking at you creepy crate) so Critter damage abilities certainly have a place. The question though is a pet with the Critter type...which is somewhat weak.

I'm unsure if Elements are going to come up in a big way but there are a lot of beasts out there. Spiders seem to have caught on which I suppose a Critter has the advantage of a -1 turn of web...

I'd be cautious but if it's what you want to do go for it. I'll specifically warn you to make sure you have a strong answer to beasts and DoTs.

Which pets specifically?
Edited by Zoft on 10/2/2012 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Cockroach.

Start off the match with an Apocolypse and watch your opponent suddenly drop all thoughts of trying to outheal your meager damage and outlast you, and just try to kill you before the meteor kills them.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior

Critters do more damage to Undead
Critters do less damage to Human
Critters take more from Beasts
Critters take less from Elements

Pretty sure its based on the type of damage the ability does not a generic buff to the pet.

e.g A lava beetle is a critter but it has a burn elemental attack which is strong vs mechanical.
It also has scorched earth which is dragonkin damage and strong vs magical.

So in answer to the OP its more important to look at the abilities your pets have, most of the time the default abilities will be of the same damage type as the pet but not always.

Of course your vulnerabilities never change, a critter will always be weak vs beasts.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Cockroach.

Start off the match with an Apocolypse and watch your opponent suddenly drop all thoughts of trying to outheal your meager damage and outlast you, and just try to kill you before the meteor kills them.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking. My thought was to use the roach on turn one, then pull it out in favor of a crab and a gazelle (I think it's actually a Gazelle Fawn?) and just stall until the meteor hit. My concern-- other than the fact that this tactic might not be fun at all for the other player, which means I might not use it past proof of concept-- is that beast attacks are very common, even on non-beast creatures, and that comp doesn't really have any answers to beasts. I might have to take another look through the pets' movesets and see if I can find an alternate to the gazelle. I've had thoughts of using the Onyxian Whelp, since it has a heal.

10/02/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Zoft
I think Undead have the potential to be nasty (looking at you creepy crate) so Critter damage abilities certainly have a place. The question though is a pet with the Critter type...which is somewhat weak.

I've tried a couple of undead (I found a reasonably priced Landro's Lichling on the first day of the expansion, and nabbed a Lost of Lordaeron.) While their movesets are really interesting and promising, they're a pain in the rear to level against random creatures. They're weak to the super-common critter types and the vast majority of humanoids are promotional pets; only a handful of mid to high level ones appear in the wild.
Reply Quote
Yeah I was just typing that up fast so I could have the info in front of me. I should have formatted it better.

I suppose it's worth further thought on the critter bonus. Since you can have diverse attacks the CC reduction can give you a chance to swap pet if a Beast is coming at you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]