Since I cant open a ticket about this- SOLVED

I'll just have to make it really vague and ask it here :X HERP

So long story short, I've been looking for work. I've recently got a job offer from someone that wanted me to write WoW guides! Hooray! Something fun that I can do from home. What's better than that, right?

Well, I'm starting to get red flags now. I've honestly never used a guide in my life. I've played since vanilla and enjoy the way I play. So when I hear "WoW guides" I assume it's something written out.
Upon going to the site I'm supposed to be kinda doing the guides for (and expected to install), I noticed that it appears to be an addon. O_O; I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to sell addons.. Guide or not. The addon it's self looks like one of those arrow addons where it points out your quest and has a little box that comes up telling you where to go, along with other info. That kinda stuff.

So right now I'm pretty torn. As much as I would love to get paid to write about how I play, how I level, etc... I really rather NOT have one of my character names on some youtube video that is supposed to get people to buy this guide addon.

I'm not mentioning the site unless a blue asks me. Sorry. I'm already nervous about even posting this. I love my account. As I said before, I've played since the beginning. I've spent more money then I want to even think about buying my WoW time, expansions, Blizz store pets and mounts, name changes, faction changes, server changes, etc. Lol. The last thing I want is to do get myself into something that's going to screw me over.

TL;DR: There is a 'WoW guide' that is being sold that is clearly an addon with arrows and stuff. Someone wants to hire me to make vids with this 'guide' to advertise and such. If I were to take this job, would I risk my account being 'frozen'?

I REALLY did NOT want to write this up here. I'm choosing not to give too much info on this until a Blue requests it, as I do not really want to draw any attention to something that COULD be bad. Again, I would have wrote a ticket, but the stupid ticket system isn't giving me any option for something like this. :x
Edited by Üshi on 10/3/2012 7:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
The addon itself has to be free, from my understanding, but the guide information does not.

If you are unable to download the addon without paying, then it's a no-no. I'm not sure how or if it'll affect your WoW account, especially since you are not the one selling it, only working for it.

Blizzard may just prevent such an addon from loading if the addon is for profit. They may take action outside of the game as well (copyright legal stuff).
Reply Quote
The addon itself has to be free, from my understanding, but the guide information does not.

If you are unable to download the addon without paying, then it's a no-no. I'm not sure how or if it'll affect your WoW account, especially since you are not the one selling it, only working for it.

Blizzard may just prevent such an addon from loading if the addon is for profit. They may take action outside of the game as well (copyright legal stuff).

Right. This is where I'm really confused. It honestly doesn't look what I thought a guide would look like. It just looks like one of those addons that points you where to go and has a fancy window that pops up giving you info and stuff. I'm not even sure. That's all I've gathered from the videos about it.
I'm too scared to download it right now xP I'm so paranoid. Oh well. better safe than sorry.
Reply Quote
Going to head to bed, as I have really not had a good nights sleep for 2 days now. Darn stress and what not.

I'll check back in a few hours when I wake up.

I'd really love for a Blue to answer this. Again, I'll provide the site name so they can take a look only if a Blue requests it. I don't want to post something that could end up being bad :c

Hopefully I can get a firm answer soon... Time is ticking, and if this ends up all being legit and fine, I'd rather not let this job slip out of my hands ;P
Reply Quote
87 Troll Hunter

Right. This is where I'm really confused. It honestly doesn't look what I thought a guide would look like. It just looks like one of those addons that points you where to go and has a fancy window that pops up giving you info and stuff. I'm not even sure. That's all I've gathered from the videos about it.
I'm too scared to download it right now xP I'm so paranoid. Oh well. better safe than sorry.

Well, those sort of add-ons are called guides, so you can relax a bit on that front.

As for the rest, try to download the add-on for yourself and see if they ask for money up front. If they do, then you've got your answer. If all they ask for money on is the info, then that's legit (as I understand the policy).
Reply Quote

Well, those sort of add-ons are called guides, so you can relax a bit on that front.

As for the rest, try to download the add-on for yourself and see if they ask for money up front. If they do, then you've got your answer. If all they ask for money on is the info, then that's legit (as I understand the policy).

Alright >_>; I wasn't sure. Like I've said. I've never used one before D:
I just didn't want to be making vids for these people with MY name for everyone to see if it WAS considered an addon (and there for something that can't be sold)

I've seen the site and they ask for money upfront. They offer a free trial, but that's about it o3o
Edited by Üshi on 10/3/2012 5:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Alright. Well I was able to actually call blizz and gave them the site name, etc.

For those that are curious in case they come across the same issue, he said as long as I'm not making money from the sales and just the vids.. There's like a 99% chance I wont get in trouble.
However, upon looking at the site and what it's giving you.. He told me it would be best to steer clear of them, as their guides are pretty much trying to go around the rules and looks VERY shady.
Thanks again everyone for the help. It may have been a silly paranoid question.. But better safe than sorry!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]