World of Warcraft and : The Plague

In the early 1300s, an event which would cost the lives of nearly 1/3 of Europe's total population occured : The dreaded Bubonic Plague, caused by Yersinia pestis in lice and flea's.

Now, lets bring this into WoW. Realistically, as in the Middle Ages, Capital Cities aren't as sanitary as they are in-game. You have to take into consideration of the horse fecies on the streets, sewage, waste and other disgusting things. Not to say bathing isn't done on a regular basis, I mean come-on. How often do you ever go for a swim ICly or bathe? Be honest.

Now, the Plague started with infested Flower/Rice shipped to Lordaeron from Northrend under disguise of a regular, possibly Kul'Tirian Merchant-Ship. Now, animals, I.E - Rats / Rabbits, etc, often live on these ships. Tis' how the Bubonic Plague hit Europe from Asia in the Middle Ages. They often fed on the left-overs of infected goods, then when docked, they scurry off into the night, and back to sanitary conditions of Cities : Fleas are almost evident. Fleas bite these Rats and bring them around all over Azeroth realistically, so it is impossible for someone to say," You are safe from the Plague/Scourge here. "

Now, I am not saying I am all to with some Necromancer brewing some potent Plague and all, I am simply posting on some facts of the hazards of Capital Cities.

I, personally, would like to see some people RP sick, or see some sort of Guild devoted to organization within cities. ( 'Cept for Kal'dorei. Due to their common nature, their city won't be as bad as Stormwind for say, compairing Stormwind ( present-day ) to Mid 1300's to late 1450s London.

The soul purpose of this post is just to inform people that no-matter where you are, or what you do, there will always be danger lurking. As for the Forsaken RPers. Plague isn't healthy for the dead either. It can be like Saronite to mortal, in a way. Drive you mad from ever-suffering agony, because it is confirmed through IC cenimatics that Forsaken/Undead things -feel- pain. If not, it'll further rot your body until you are a pile of Horde-Sludge in the sewers of Undercity... Whew.. So that's what that green stuff is, I bet!

A link of basic information and symptems of the Plague. Yes, it does cause rotting to increase, and occur. : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I think I agree with the majority of this post, but I'd also gander Stormwind would be set in a time period earlier then the middle ages. I've always thought of Stormwind as a mixture of Venice and Paris in the 16th-17th century time period.
Reply Quote
Perhaps, Ferenold, but take into consideration. In Europe, there's around 1,000 - 5,000 cases of the Bubonic Plague in -today's- society, WITH technology. It's as if the virus has improved, because back in the Middle-Ages, it took 3-4 days for an infected to die. Now it takes less than 36 hours, with modern day medicine. So, it has always been lurking in the shadows of our time-peroid, it was only at it's last peak in the 1300 - 1600's.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Next xpac is about the plague obviously.

We fight a big plague old god demon of the Burning Legion.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I feel the need to note that Azeroth is much, much more sparsely populated than 16th-century or even medieval Europe. This will ultimately dilute the effectiveness of any large-scale pandemic by neutralizing its primary mode of transmission.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/03/2012 07:43 PMPosted by Edgár
Perhaps, Ferenold, but take into consideration. In Europe, there's around 1,000 - 5,000 cases of the Bubonic Plague in -today's- society, WITH technology. It's as if the virus has improved, because back in the Middle-Ages, it took 3-4 days for an infected to die. Now it takes less than 36 hours, with modern day medicine. So, it has always been lurking in the shadows of our time-peroid, it was only at it's last peak in the 1300 - 1600's.

1,000-5,000 people entirely ignores the scale of the relative populations.
Reply Quote
It does, but it is scary that it seems to be more potent with today's technology than before. It takes one outbreak, one pandemic to cause mass panic. I live in Sweden where everything is spaced out, and I am still kind of freaked out by it. Some elderly woman who lives around 14 km away from my home passed away of Bubonic Plague she got while hiking in the wilderness not 6 months ago. Her 23 year old daughter was also infected, but she was treated and survived.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/03/2012 07:55 PMPosted by Edgár
It does, but it is scary that it seems to be more potent with today's technology than before. It takes one outbreak, one pandemic to cause mass panic. I live in Sweden where everything is spaced out, and I am still kind of freaked out by it. Some elderly woman who lives around 14 km away from my home passed away of Bubonic Plague she got while hiking in the wilderness not 6 months ago. Her 23 year old daughter was also infected, but she was treated and survived.

Well there's different 'strains' of something like the bubonic plague that tend to evolve from human contact. For example, after Europe was repeatedly exposed to the bubonic plague it grew to be more resilient against it, as the survivors propagated.

I do think that there would be plenty of diseased in Stormwind, though.
Reply Quote
Anyhow, give me a while to surprise an Officer with what I am presenting before I bring out what I am trying to spread out there. This isn't one of those," Necromancer hiding under Stormwind brewing potent Plague batches, " events, or an event at all. It'll get clear, hopefully, when time progresses.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Didn't Stormwind already have a plague outbreak or something? I remembered reading that somewhere in the lore..hmm.

AND Simurg, how hard is it to see to your left and right?
Reply Quote
I'm not sure. A lot of plague is some heavy stuff. I'm not sure how long a flea would last against something that kills so quickly, and I doubt they would survive the reanimation.

WoW plague, that is. Not the Bubonic Plague.
Edited by Atten on 10/3/2012 8:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
We do have to ask how effective any sort of natural non magically created plague might be when even a novice healer can abolish it with a simple prayer or with a local druid waving their hand and wishing really hard. It's entirely -why- there's necromancers and craziers brewing up far more potent versions, the normal stuff can be beat.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/03/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Nixalegos
We do have to ask how effective any sort of natural non magically created plague might be when even a novice healer can abolish it with a simple prayer or with a local druid waving their hand and wishing really hard. It's entirely -why- there's necromancers and craziers brewing up far more potent versions, the normal stuff can be beat.

Do we see any instances in lore rather then just in game mechanics of this sort of thing?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
I had a long, informative post concerning the nature of disease and infection and the possibilities granted to us by virtue of living in a realm where "magic" exists written up, but then the forums ate it.

So, to hell with it. \o/
Reply Quote
Alright. Anyhow, here is my plan which is in it's working stage.

It's a summary, so go with me here. Lore behind it will be added upon request at a later date when or if we make it official.

We use the fluid of an infected animal or person with the Plague. Extracting it makes it's potentcy dull to the point to where it -doesn't- make someone turn into a purtid abomination of the Scourge, but in high doses, it -can- kill someone.

It'll be applied to weapons ( blades ) and used in combat. It'll act like the common cold until it becomes greater, and not having all the proper Plague-symptoms, it'll be treated as something else, either harming the infected person further, or possibly helping them. Now get this - It's biochemical warfare at this point. Plague, like in IRL and in WoW, would be transferrable by sharing anything with anybody or hanging around someone infected, breathing what they do. It is and most likely will be airborne, causing further, inside damage to organizations or parties trying to help the victim.

I've dulled it down to a blunt summary, IF we try this type of unique-poison, we'll have to have some sort of antidote, gas-masks and maybe a vaccination for it so if one of our own is infected, their immune system is able to hold off for a while so they may get a chance at the antidote. If we reach this stage, we'll start ( attempting ) to kidnap people around Azeroth to submit them to tests with this Plague, similar to what the S.S. did to the Jewish-people of the Second World War.

This is just something to make things more tense when fighting against someone, and possibly have a minature event running around where we have people scrambling to find out what it making people ill, and in cases ( 35-50% Chance if left unattended for more than 24 hours ) death. A pro to this is Plague causes your blood veins to burst, making your skin turn purple as your thinned blood runs into your skin, making it -look- like rot. Back in these days, rotting limbs were amputated, which can also cause someone to bleed to death. ( Which probably won't happen, but I am Edgar and being me, this would be nice to see. )

I'd like some serious opinions on this, however. Point out errors and things you agree with so we can try to straighten it out to prevent any forms of confusion or OP-ness in the future, we're just trying to get people to start RPing again, have some sort of thing rolling around.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
A pro to this is Plague causes your blood veins to burst, making your skin turn purple as your thinned blood runs into your skin, making it -look- like rot. Back in these days, rotting limbs were amputated, which can also cause someone to bleed to death.

What you're describing sounds as though it evidences itself as a hematoma - a bruise, in essence, though likely lacking the blunt trauma that makes a contusion a contusion. My concern is that this does not in fact look like "rot". While a hematoma can become infected/begin rotting if left untreated, or cause blood clots, or a host of any other gruesome fates, haemorrhagic necrosis takes time. Ignorance in medical treatment could very well account for the amputations you're seeking, though I have enough faith in our medics and healers to hope common sense would prevail.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/03/2012 09:02 PMPosted by Ferenold

Do we see any instances in lore rather then just in game mechanics of this sort of thing?
During the zombie event, the Argent Dawn (In their infinite wisdom) Gave the cure to the Plague to the Alliance and the Horde, and no one else.

So it's pretty basic stuff now.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
10/03/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Edgár
Back in these days, rotting limbs were amputated,

I have to just point out that the modern treatment for a rotting limb is still amputation. You can't do anything else with necrotic tissue.
Reply Quote
This is why I need feedback on this. We in TSG would like to coat our blades with the fluid of this, with great care and all. It won't have dead-on Plague victims, so ICly ( For the time being, unless research undergoes when we immobileize this tactic ), people would think it would be a weird Rogue posion or illness. T'was what we hope for.
Reply Quote
Are you proposing the possibility of a "bubonic plague"-type thing? If so, keep in mind that people like Priests and Druids exist that can cure these kind of things. As awesome that would be, sadly, we did not have healers capable of magic back in the day IRL. :(

Also, didn't the bubonic plague actually turn out to be easily cured by today's standards?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]