MW mastery

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
MW mastery <= changing holy priests mastery to increase number of charges on their lightwell.

I recently hit 90 and have been running some dungeons now and by the end of a boss fight there are at lest 6-10 orbs left every time. Why not let our mastery instead proc a free surging mist... then we wont go oom in 2 seconds when the tank takes heavy damage... or make the healing orbs spawn on top of the most injured person in the raid so they can never go to waste.

Also, lots of trash mobs or boss fights deal heavy damage to the tank and almost nothing to the dps, so having orbs spawn near the mage is not helping me keep the tank alive.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
the orbs are a cool concept, but in practice they are almost completely worthless. every now and again i'll snatch up one of my own orbs but ive never seen anyone else actively seek one out, if they are used it's completely by accident. horrible mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The mastery is extremely strong, people just need to get used to hitting healing spheres. Not everyone is 90 yet on a monk so they don't really know what things do yet. Considering the mastery puts them fairly close and good player should be able to use them when taking a bit of damage.

I did sha of anger and having these things around from our 2 mistweavers was awesome!

10/04/2012 02:06 AMPosted by Fubukii
the orbs are a cool concept, but in practice they are almost completely worthless. every now and again i'll snatch up one of my own orbs but ive never seen anyone else actively seek one out, if they are used it's completely by accident. horrible mastery.

Players shouldn't have to actively seek them. It should either be next to them or very close by, or they can just stay where they are.
Edited by Brewmook on 10/4/2012 2:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Right, we saw how well people are able to stand in AOE healing effects, what makes you think they're going to run around looking for tiny semi-transparent balls with all the other particle effects floating around in a raid.
Reply Quote
The mastery is INCREDIBLY powerful however, it does have a bit of a lightwell mechanic to it which means as the healer you get punished by bad players in your healing output.

However.... at least with the orbs people can accidentally "click the lightwell" by walking over orbs.

And even without a high mastery, those orbs are darn near everywhere people are bound to walk into them.

It is a cool mastery and I like it and hope it stays, but people will just have to learn to use it.

Keep in mind most players don't even know about these orbs till they get their monk to 90 as there are still not a ton of monks out there at high level and most players don't honestly know a thing about the class yet.
Edited by Spacewolf on 10/4/2012 3:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
10/04/2012 02:07 AMPosted by Brewmook
The mastery is extremely strong, people just need to get used to hitting healing spheres. Not everyone is 90 yet on a monk so they don't really know what things do yet. Considering the mastery puts them fairly close and good player should be able to use them when taking a bit of damage.

Yeah, about 8 years and people don't click Lightwell. Maybe in another 8 years our mastery will be useful.

I'd like if it wasn't depending on others to work. No other mastery is like that (creative and all, but not a good thing).
I wish we could, i don't know... blow them with maybe Uplift, and heal a nearby low health target. Or maybe "infect" a nearby target with renewing mist (one that doesn't have it). Simple and active, depending on me only.
Reply Quote
I understand some times you are forced to walk into them. Like the boss that has 8937987354534 avoidable AoE's, i forgot his name but in that fight i had a very easy time healing because people naturally ran into the orbs.

However, on every fight that isn't super mobile the range dps has NEVER picked up an orb. I have finished a boss fight with 5 orbs FIVE ORBS surrounding a mage that i was consistently having to heal because he would have had to sacrifice 1-2 seconds of dps and also move out of his rune of power thing.

Until this mastery gets fixed im stuck with running circuits around the room picking up unused orbs when i need health.
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 03:23 AMPosted by Sacratis
I wish we could, i don't know... blow them with maybe Uplift, and heal a nearby low health target. Or maybe "infect" a nearby target with renewing mist (one that doesn't have it). Simple and active, depending on me only.

That's why i think the mastery should instead have the tiger palm effect: x% chance to reduce the casting and mana cost of surging mist by 20%, stacking up to 5 times. If we had that i would be stacking mastery right after spirit. And as i mentioned earlier, it would greatly improve our tank healing.

Also, why is surging mist so expensive? spinning crane kick does more healing assuming u hit at least 3 targets (kind of guaranteed if you use it on the melee group) and generates just as much chi, but is like 60% of surging mists mana cost.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
dev 1: hey dev 2, TERA had this really cool idea for healing with Mystics dropping these little orbs
dev 2: yeah, we're completely unoriginal after all these years since all of the original talent that worked on WoW is gone, so lets just blatantly rip that off without understanding why it works in that game
dev 1: we r gud devs xDDD
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
1) You'd be surprised how many orbs actually *get* used. Just because they're littered around the room after the fight doesn't mean there weren't 5x that number spawned throughout the fight which ended up healing people.

edit - I don't mean to say that this many orbs ever spawn & are used - definite exaggeration used "for effect" there, but you get my point.

2) Beta Mistweavers were *incredibly* concerned and vocal about the RNG of our Mastery. We advocated strongly for the mechanic to be altered from the moment it was announced. We suggested any number of ideas which could change it - boring ideas, exciting ideas, simple ideas, flavourful ideas... it all fell on deaf ears.

3) When guilds actually headed into normal/heroic raid testing on beta, guess what - they found the Mistweaver Mastery numbers - as analyzed by theorycrafters via WoL - were actually *decent*! Most especially for 25man.

Does this mean I like Mistweaver mastery? Nope! It my not be our most desirable 2ndary stat, but I'm stuck with it, and I'll work with it. It's strange to play a healer where in certain fight set-ups *crit* - more healing RNG - is my most desirable secondary stat, though!
Edited by Meditation on 10/4/2012 2:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Sad news: it probably won't change. They were/are pretty stubborn with Lightwell.

-Edit-
Or maybe they could adress it like they did with Lightwell: with a glyph. Change Glyph of Enduring Healing Sphere (garbage) to Glyph of Whatever: Your Healing Spheres and Serpent's Gift now have a X (5~10) yards activation radius.
Edited by Sacratis on 10/4/2012 3:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Yeah, about 8 years and people don't click Lightwell. Maybe in another 8 years our mastery will be useful.

No, they'll just give us a glyph where the orbs will automatically heal to anyone under 50% HP. In 8 years, they'll give use that glyph, that is.
Edited by Daerius on 10/4/2012 7:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Ya I have to say the mastery is quite disappointing, and I avoid mastery rating like the plague. It's really frustrating that in order for it to be useful it requires the following:
a) a player to take damage, and notice they are injured
b) said player not to have any incoming heals from the other healers
c) said player noticing a healing sphere nearby
and, most importantly, d) the motivation to actually move and (often) give up dps to heal and save the healers mana.

At least with the lightwell, you could click it from dps range, and it was a hot, so you could do it preemptively for large aoes and so forth. Our current mastery is really just incredibly disappointing. I hate that I completely rely on other players to make my mastery do anything at all. There are so many other things that our mastery could be, incredibly interesting things no less, that require no input from other players to be effective. Blizz changed the Resto Druid mastery because the original one was subpar, I would like to see ours receive the same treatment.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I say give our 4 set a chance to pull the orbs to the nearest person. That would be a NICE four set. Healing the main tank tonight in raid on the first boss I had at least 10 of them around the room.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
There is multiple problems with them. First all healing orbs have the -same- graphic, which as a tank causes me a lot of issues because I try to control mine separately since only I can use them, but also when you play max range zoomed out and in middle of a difficult fight, watching for orbs is... difficult. Not to mention if the orb is 10 yards away, that 10 yards of walking you could do damage.

Lightwell was MUCH better because it was a -set- location. people who didn't use it were stupid. It was obvious placement, and steady. These are tiny, hard to see sometimes, and random.

Please don't think I'm asking you to make these graphics huge and obnoxious, but maybe a less faded/dark color.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
In practice, the orbs get used much more than you would think. I was a disbeliever myself, thinking people would have to actively seek them - and we all know how well lightwells worked (you needed to be with people that were organized and willing to click on something to heal them). As a result, for raiding, I decided to favor crit over mastery. After a night of raiding, I can honestly say that was a mistake.

Even with a crit-oriented build, my mastery was 8-10% of my heals. Looking at logs of monks that stacked mastery, it could be 12-15%. I promptly switched and will most likely keep the mastery. It turns out that, throughout the encounter, people naturally walk over these orbs. They can't use them if they are at full health, so it's actually a fairly nice.

I'm not saying the mastery is perfect, but I can say that it's certainly a lot stronger than I expected.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
@Kungfucïus
You raid 10 or 25?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
In practice, the orbs get used much more than you would think. I was a disbeliever myself, thinking people would have to actively seek them - and we all know how well lightwells worked (you needed to be with people that were organized and willing to click on something to heal them). As a result, for raiding, I decided to favor crit over mastery. After a night of raiding, I can honestly say that was a mistake.

Even with a crit-oriented build, my mastery was 8-10% of my heals. Looking at logs of monks that stacked mastery, it could be 12-15%. I promptly switched and will most likely keep the mastery. It turns out that, throughout the encounter, people naturally walk over these orbs. They can't use them if they are at full health, so it's actually a fairly nice.

I'm not saying the mastery is perfect, but I can say that it's certainly a lot stronger than I expected.

Sorry, but I don't want a mastery that relies on dumb luck of people accidently bumping into them while damaged to be effective. I want a mastery that I can count and rely on, and *know* that it will be useful in a fight, rather than *hoping* it will be. I'm sure in 25 man (and to a lesser extent, 10 man) content, it works great because there are so many bodies. But running heroics, I'm running about 18% mastery with the mastery buff, and it still makes up less than 5% of my healing, and most of that 5% is me specifically searching out my own orbs during fights to save mana. Give me a mastery thats actually interesting, and doesn't rely on other players. I already have healing orbs as an actual ability that relies on this mechanic, I don't need my mastery to be the same.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
I really wish Mastery would have been done a different way with WW/MW specs honestly I don't like the way they work.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]