Breath of Fire

76 Human Monk
So, I'm learning the ways of the Brewmaster. On my early tanking experiences, when I had no Shuffle, I dumped my chi on BoFs and it was super fun! Yes, it's a nice button to press as a tank, the graphics and sound are exciting and all, and if you glyph it, you have an AoE interrupt for those pesky casters.

Ever since you get Shuffle, it's a vital buff for monks, both because of the avoidance and stagger increase, making it fundamental to be kept up 80-90% (or even 100% if possible) of the time.

This is okay, and all, but paired with Guard 2-chi cost, and basically the need to keep it on cooldown too, you end up with no chi to spare to use Breath of Fire. Right now at level 51, I'm rarely using and It's a shame, because is the most engaging button I have.

By reading Monk reports on our forums, this won't change at level90 either. So, this is a problem? Absolutely not, it doesn't interfere in our performance, but I really miss that fire, and I think a good solution is to create a proc that grants a free BoF.

I'm not aware of other tanks, or if this is a common mechanic, but my DK got a proc that grants a free BB or DnD, and I believe Warriors have one proc too.

I'd love to hear what fellow monks and other tanks think about this.
Edited by Spiral on 10/4/2012 12:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Would love this, not looking forward to losing the use of one of my favorite leveling abilities when I start raiding.
Reply Quote
I will occassionally use Breath of Fire. The only time I use it is when Guard is on cooldown, I've just spent 2 chi on my Blackout Kick and Keg Smash has just come off cooldown.

Otherwise, Blackout Kick all the way. Now that Keg Smash hits everything in range, it's not a huge deal. Once you get to 90 and get Rushing Jade Wind, it's even less of an issue.
Edited by Pingwoo on 10/4/2012 12:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 12:47 PMPosted by Fahzhi
Would love this, not looking forward to losing the use of one of my favorite leveling abilities when I start raiding.

Breath of Fire is not for single target. Raid targets will be immune to Dizzying Haze debuff so you won't get the DoT portion of BoF.
Reply Quote
76 Human Monk
I understand it might be your choice with chi: More mitigation (more shuffle uptime) or more AoE damage (more BoF).

But I believe I'm not the only one to think that BoF is too iconic to be left out of rotation at all because you need survivability....

What about giving the proc, but nerfing Keg Smash damage?
Reply Quote
If they were to do that, that would have to change Breath of Fire's hit radius.

Right now, it is such a small cone that fires in front of you that it often doesn't hit all your targets.

Personally, I'm ok with leaving BoF out of my rotation.
Reply Quote
This is exactly what people were saying in the beta forums as they were tuning monks. The last change in beta left BM monks very starved for resources, with just enough Chi to keep their survivability up. Immediately the feedback came about how you couldn't use Breath of Fire anymore. A lot of suggestions came too, like having BoF apply Weakened Blows. (and then tuning resources so you could use it)

In other words, they know,, and they're okay with it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/04/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Spiral
What about giving the proc, but nerfing Keg Smash damage?

no

Is BoF fun? sure. But it's meant for aoe, and you can squeeze in your rotation here and there. On heavy aoe you'll likely be using it anyway because of the huge dmg boost.

would be ok to have a proc or simply make BoF proc Shuffle as well, or lower the cost to 1 chi. But all of those things have been suggested around .. 3098 times by now. And they never changed .. so .. I wouldn't hold my breath.

And seriously, don't touch Keg Smash.
Edited by Leeflow on 10/4/2012 1:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
76 Human Monk
Really? That's too bad, then... Unless me or the healer overgear the content, I won't be able to give up Shuffle or Guard uptimes for more BoFs.

Also, another subject: It's just me, or energy regen is a bit low atm? I ask because, I'm often careful enough to not put "useless" spells in my rotation, yet once and while, I'm with Keg Smash ready, but with no energy to cast it right away.

Perhaps that can be the best time to weave in Tiger Palms.
Reply Quote
76 Human Monk
10/04/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Leeflow
Is BoF fun? sure. But it's meant for aoe, and you can squeeze in your rotation here and there.

But wouldn't you worry about your survivability on AoE situations = lots of mobs on you? I find myself more desperate for shuffle and guard uptimes in these cases, wich means still no resources to BoF.

Atm I can't find room to squeeze it in, perhaps with more tanking pratice I'll get better, but I shall see.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
Very infrequently, usually when Stagger is remaining low and I don't need to PB as often, will I have the chi to use another ability, but Zen Sphere is far higher on my priority list than BoF in those situations.
Reply Quote
Things get better the more haste you stack. My only suggestion now is to weave in more tiger palms until you get higher level.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Really? That's too bad, then... Unless me or the healer overgear the content, I won't be able to give up Shuffle or Guard uptimes for more BoFs.

Also, another subject: It's just me, or energy regen is a bit low atm? I ask because, I'm often careful enough to not put "useless" spells in my rotation, yet once and while, I'm with Keg Smash ready, but with no energy to cast it right away.

Perhaps that can be the best time to weave in Tiger Palms.

There's 2 ways of spending energy.

Either you spend it as fast as it's available, and often delay KS 1-2 sec while waiting for energy.

Or you simply prevent it from capping.

What I do is:

A) Keg smash whenever it's up.
B) Keep shuffle up
C) if i'm at 70+ energy I use Jab (or if KS have +4sec on the CD still).
D) if i'm at 40+ energy but KS is almost ready, I simply fill with TPs so I can KS asap. And then I jab again shortly after.

Imo, it works better than spending energy as soon as it's available. The chance of being forced to wait for energy to use KS is kinda high.
Reply Quote
at 90, energy is "just" enough to keep shuffle up 80% while purifying every 6-8 seconds...

and ghostcrawler said that this was "perfect"
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
at 90, energy is "just" enough to keep shuffle up 80% while purifying every 6-8 seconds...

and ghostcrawler said that this was "perfect"

Why are you purifying so frequently and why isn't shuffle up 100% of the time?
Reply Quote
Realistically I keep my shuffle up more than that, but I've taken the power strikes talent, and I'm very hawk-ish on watching my stagger.

Those are decent targets to make your healer's life easier in a 5-man IMHO.

Raiding is a completely different story, I felt a little starved for chi and energy IMHO on beta, haven't had a chance on live yet due to the fact I got called in for healing duty.

Sorry if I've missed some changes in the last couple of weeks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]