Mage Poor DPS - Biggest Nerf in hist of WOW

90 Worgen Mage
I have been playing a mage for some time now. Arcane in the last expansion and Fire now in this one.

I am regularly experiencing low DPS in dungeons compared to other classes even though I know the fire rotation.

I was one of the top dps in raids in my guild in the last expansion but I have a hard time imagining that I could even contirbute to their success now on my mage.

I have 8 other toons on this server and started to level my DK to 90 after recommendation from guildmates.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Considering fire is one of the top simming specs in the game at the moment, you don't know what you're talking about.

Mages, number-wise, are very strong currently. You probably have not researched your class to know that fire mages are target capped for AoE and what are the current "heroic" dungeon pulls? An AoE-fest, of course!

The toon is not as fun to play because the level 90 talents suck tremendously in terms of "feel", but numbers, no. Mages statistically are in a good place.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I have to agree with noomage on this one
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Hey man,

I just turned 90 and I'm topping the meter. Possibly competition with crappy dps players,
but I'm topping without wiping.
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 04:50 PMPosted by Noomage
The toon is not as fun to play because the level 90 talents suck tremendously in terms of "feel", but numbers, no. Mages statistically are in a good place.

Frost does decent AoE to 4+ targets, but Fire's drops off after 3. But hey, Arcane's ArcExplosion is decent with high mastery, right?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
I have been playing a mage for some time now. Arcane in the last expansion and Fire now in this one.

I am regularly experiencing low DPS in dungeons compared to other classes even though I know the fire rotation.

I was one of the top dps in raids in my guild in the last expansion but I have a hard time imagining that I could even contirbute to their success now on my mage.

I have 8 other toons on this server and started to level my DK to 90 after recommendation from guildmates.

When I was 87 (89 now even though avatar says differently) and hadn't gotten much luck in terms of drops and still using DS gear, I was topping charts against good dps who was a higher level or better geared than I was. Maybe the style just changed enough to throw you off? Dunno, I'm having no problems except the annoyance in heating up buff dropping off randomly.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
I just hit 90 the other day, and despite all the complaints I've seen about level 90 and our DPS, I am doing quite well and enjoying myself. So many new toys to play with. I am not quite a fan of fire's AoE anymore, but it was a little silly before.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I'm enjoying myself as well. Minus the 90 talents of course. But really, my DPS is pretty good. As fire or frost.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Alright I stopped reading the post when I got to the end and I feel I can bring some key points to this very important topic.

1. You're saying you always "topped" dps as a mage in Cataclysm raiding. Well I'd like to point out that you have no heroic cataclysm raiding achievments. This leads me to believe most of your guild were too undergeared for heroics, thus making topping dps an easy feat.

2. If you weren't topping dps as a mage during Cataclysm somthing was wrong, personally I diddn't play Cata much but when I did it was funny to watch every1 complain at how "OP" we were (Although no one actually complained at how op we were, we just had the easiest rotation to keep up during high movement fights).

3. Stop complaining your doing !@#$ dps in heroics, every single one of us posting (wether or not they wish to admit it) is out dp's by a tank with fights that have 2-3 targets, and if the tank is really good.

4. You have 8 other toons that. By this I assume all of which are level 85+, or else why would you count them. I'm also guessing you havn't been playing your mage the longest. You lack the experience with the rotation and although it does change over time with patches and xpacs, these changes aren't dramatic.

5. You have 5.3k achievement points, you lack many dungeon/raid achieves. Most of which you got after then next tier/xpac was released. So you don't have much experience with endame and competeing against people equally or higher skilled then you.
Reply Quote
I am running heroics as fire and I have no problem with damage.. I think you might need to get a bit more experience playing the mage.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I bet this stupid post will get like 10 pages
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
One
Fire is just low with current stat values. Pre semi raid geared you cant get enough crit for it to be amazing and even when you do you sacrifice a lot of haste making it sluggish and low spiking. It isn't too bad overall. Frost is better for earlier content though.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Before anyone rages on me.. I only started playing WoW this past January, with saying that I only play my mage(I have a 85 dk). I chose to use fire in cata and was almost able to keep up with some of the arcane specs. I did notice since MoP came out fire mages AoE got a little nerfed. I seem to have a hard time getting over 2.5k dps. I know the rotation well and had NO problem with it until i started to lvl to 90. Before the new patch 5.0.4 I was top 3 always in dungeons and certain raids. Now I'm lucky to be top 3 in dungeons, usually left at the bottom of the charts.. It's completely turned me off from pve. If anyone has some tips or can share something with me please do.

Also like Daxill said, drops in dungeons for me have been pretty rare and if something good does drop a healer will need as well and I always seem to lose the roll. *sad face*
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Before anyone rages on me.. I only started playing WoW this past January, with saying that I only play my mage(I have a 85 dk). I chose to use fire in cata and was almost able to keep up with some of the arcane specs. I did notice since MoP came out fire mages AoE got a little nerfed. I seem to have a hard time getting over 2.5k dps. I know the rotation well and had NO problem with it until i started to lvl to 90. Before the new patch 5.0.4 I was top 3 always in dungeons and certain raids. Now I'm lucky to be top 3 in dungeons, usually left at the bottom of the charts.. It's completely turned me off from pve. If anyone has some tips or can share something with me please do.

Also like Daxill said, drops in dungeons for me have been pretty rare and if something good does drop a healer will need as well and I always seem to lose the roll. *sad face*

Just get better. I honestly don't know what else to tell you. Obviously playing fire is very RNG dependant and once you hit lvl 86 your values are going to drop. Frost is much better leveling up and dps in dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If your struggling with fire, I suggest going frost. Frost is more forgiving with the lack of stats since your already going into any fight with 50 percent crit plus double what you have atm. Stack some mastery and you should be able to keep up with any class one vs one. Frost aoe is just as good as fire aoe if not better if you talent and use your abilities correctly. Do not dismiss frost bomb. If used right, you should be seeing 60k plus dps. I have not been able to make arcane work well at all in the 5 man herorics. Maybe once i start raiding, i will see the potential.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I do okay in the dungeons I've been in.

Questing and doing dailies however... sigh.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I haven't done Mogu'shan vaults yet, but there is NO point in playing Fire in PVE currently. If you want to be "competitive" in heroics you'll wanna be Frost. Since these dungeons are pretty much AoE infested. And Fire from what I have experienced just can't compete with other classes or Frost in dungeons.

Single target though, might be different.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
@Mageting " Before the new patch 5.0.4 I was top 3 always in dungeons". I would certainly hope so considering mages are a pure dps class and there are only 3 dps in dungeons. Sorry don't mean to troll just thought that was funny. I feel your pain on healers ninjaing stuff though, i have lost rolls to healers on helms a couple times, till using a pvp cape because of healers and even had tje epic staff in scholomance taken by a resto shaman
Edited by Killcows on 10/5/2012 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Biggest Nerf in hist of WOW

confirmed for wrathbaby
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
fire is crit based. first tier is notoriously poor for crit-focused specs.

as gear scales up im sure fire will zoom to the top of the charts, as it always does.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]