BUG - Heating up

90 Worgen Mage
Anyone else notice that heating up is dropping off before it's suppose to resulting in possible loss of "Pyroblast!"?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Here ( http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6397900436?page=27 ) is a blue post from Ghostcrawler talking about the mechanics of the buff and it's a good idea to read it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
That doesn't answer a question about why the fireball would crit, the buff would appear then would simply drop off immediately with 6 seconds left on the buff.

There's a definite randomness when this happens.

Such things were:

Fireball => Inferno Blast but heating would drop off after the Inferno Blast and not go to "Pyroblast!"

Fireball crit => Fireball (Both crit, but heating up drops before other would crit.)

Inferno Blast => Fireball (Fireball would crit but heating up would drop.)

It's noticeable and doesn't happen all the time. It's pretty random when it happens.

The heating up buff usually lasts 8 seconds, actions within that time period, plus or minus travel time and ping should simply not drop off immediately after causing loss of possible dps.

*Edit* Those examples were with continuous casting, no drop off, no debuff to cause casting time to be longer than should be.
Edited by Daxill on 10/5/2012 12:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
As another example, I would get a fireball crit, the buff would fall off immediately followed by an inferno blast then it would drop off immediately and get a fireball crit. It's frustrating when you know you should at least get a "Pyroblast!" out of that combo in such a short time, but get stuck with nothing.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
If you have Heating Up, and get a non-crit, then Heating Up gets removed, as expected.
-- However, if the non-crit came from a spell with a travel time, or from Scorch (which is supposed to be able to replace Fireball rotationally while moving), then we delay the removal of Heating Up by 0.25 sec.

as in u can have 6 seconds left on the buff and don't crit on the next spell it gets removed.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
It just happened again, Living Bomb => Inferno blast (heating up comes up) then I interrupt the mob and it immediately fell off.

Is it possible that non critting dots or non damaging spells are causing it to fall off?

*Edit* Just did the same combo on the same mob spawn, this time it didn't fall off.
Edited by Daxill on 10/5/2012 12:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
If you have Heating Up, and get a non-crit, then Heating Up gets removed, as expected.
-- However, if the non-crit came from a spell with a travel time, or from Scorch (which is supposed to be able to replace Fireball rotationally while moving), then we delay the removal of Heating Up by 0.25 sec.

as in u can have 6 seconds left on the buff and don't crit on the next spell it gets removed.

The examples were all crits back to back, I know the mechanics. I've learned to force crits with inferno blasts to get pyro's after another spell crits on single target (maybe not the best idea for ignites.)
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
Try to get some combatlog data of this happening; it'll be a big help in figuring out what's going on.
90 Goblin Mage
10/04/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Daxill
Anyone else notice that heating up is dropping off before it's suppose to resulting in possible loss of "Pyroblast!"?

no ur just missing, i used to think this was a bug too, but we all forgot at 85 we were hit capped, now it is very hard to get hit capped before epic gear and 90 so yea, when you miss the proc just slowly disappears...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Well I've noticed that heating up seems to drop off for me when I cast LB before I cast Inferno Blast so I'm guessing the LB apply is whats dropping my heating up proc. I thought I read somewhere that LB will not affect heating up but I might have miss-read/understood. So if your casting LB after you get your heating up proc to spread LB to other targets might be why it's dropping.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Yes, I was losing tons of Heating Ups to this. Using a /stopcasting macro for Inferno Blast fixed 95% of it. I don't know if non-crit DoTs from LB are knocking it off or munching it, or what, but it was very very annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
What is happening to the OP:

He is casting a fireball and as soon as he lets it fly he is hitting inferno blast. (so, instant cast spells have no travel time and hit before cast spells when you do this.) All would be fine if he had the heating up buff before doing that... but it's not so he doesn't understand why.

This is my understanding of your issue. Sorry, if I was no help to you.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
What is happening to the OP:

He is casting a fireball and as soon as he lets it fly he is hitting inferno blast. (so, instant cast spells have no travel time and hit before cast spells when you do this.) All would be fine if he had the heating up buff before doing that... but it's not so he doesn't understand why.

This is my understanding of your issue. Sorry, if I was no help to you.

I do have a tendency to jump the gun sometimes, but that's not what I'm talking about (especially if both crit anyway.)

My hypothesis is LB is knocking off heating up randomly, but not all the time. I can try to test it out on the dummy. Only problem is I can go hours without it bugging, but then I get into a three minute period where it does it a lot then straightens itself out.

no ur just missing, i used to think this was a bug too, but we all forgot at 85 we were hit capped, now it is very hard to get hit capped before epic gear and 90 so yea, when you miss the proc just slowly disappears...

Only problem if that was the case, by string of LB => Inferno Blast (heating up) => Counter spell, everything landed on the mob and it dropped off. Then when I tried it again it worked correctly. So hit could be a possibility in a few areas, but not all.
Edited by Daxill on 10/5/2012 6:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
I recreated the bug, it dealt with pyroblast critting and inferno blast critting one after another. I have the battle log but I kind of need to find a host site to put it up. Unfortunately the log doesn't show buffs dropping or gaining, but out of the two crits I only got one heating up, suggesting one dropped off.

Seems it might of been created by two fast crits, doesn't explain the LB => Inferno Blast => Counter Spell that I can't seem to create again. I do remember the mob casting a spell but it wouldn't explain why it worked once and not another.
Edited by Daxill on 10/5/2012 7:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
I've really been seeing this a lot more lately. In addition to the conditions already outlined above (which all jive with what I'm seeing), I can offer some further observations:

- This seems very streaky. Meaning that everything works fine, but then suddenly I will get a streak of lost Heating Up procs.

- The more crit I gain on gear, the more I seem to see it.

- It tends to happen most in raids. I'm thinking there may be a latency component. I don't know if I've ever been able to get off an Inferno Blast after a Fireball crit on Elegon, and that encounter is hell on my system. The more particle effects in play, the more likely I am to lose procs.

- It also happens on the farm fairly regularly. Perhaps the phasing there is also causing latency related issues? I'll try to keep an eye out and see if it's only when I get near a boundary or if it's all over the farm. I have noticed other oddities about that tiny little phased area...

- In general, my network latency is in the 60-80ms range and my framerate hovers around 40-50. Closer to 20-30 in raids with lots of particle effects. I don't think my video card is very good at particle effects. I can drop my framerate to about 5 if I position my camera with a fire effect between the camera and the world.
Reply Quote
66 Troll Warlock
Yes I've noticed this alot lately too, from what I can tell it's when you gain heating up - if you then cast LB straight after - heating up will fall off consistently, I've tried looking for reasons as to why this may be, but I'm really not sure.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]