Jewelcrafting STILL the worst profession.

100 Blood Elf Paladin
After spending all of DS as the undisputed inferior profession in terms of stat bonuses, JC is once again the runt of the pack going into MoP.

Because secondary stat budgets are now doubled on gems, this changes the way we slot our sockets. If we have a secondary stat that is weighted more than half of our primary stat, we are now supposed to gem pure secondary stats in blue/yellows, and hybrids in reds.

The JC exclusive gems were not given double budget for secondary stats, so we're still stuck with pure reds for JC gems.

However, this 320 extra stats from JC gems requires a red gem in a red socket. This would have been fine if we were gemming pure reds in red sockets anyways, but now we have a better option in the form of hybrid gems with double secondary stats. To obtain the JC stat bonus, we forgo the superior hydrid gem in favor of pure reds.

Because of this, the relative gain of using JC gems is LESS than 320 stats.

To fix this, the best option would be to provide hydrid JC gems that provide extra primary stats, such as +240 (80+160) strength and + 160 haste. This allows us to gem hybrid serpent's eyes while still obtaining the same +320 stat bonus standard on professions.
Edited by Pyraedine on 10/6/2012 5:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
jc has gold capped more toons that all the other professions combined.

stats might be a little hampered at times depending on where you are in the expac, but the gold that once flowed from JC more than makes up for it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
That and we can make shiny panther mounts. Oou. Shiny.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

stats might be a little hampered at times depending on where you are in the expac, but the gold that once flowed from JC more than makes up for it.

The amount of gold I might or might not make from JC does not change the amount of stats I get from the profession.
Reply Quote
3 Undead Mage
anyone can gold cap by flipping expensive mounts, pets, recipes, etc. (and that is probably the easiest way)

how much gold one can make with JC is irrelevant to raid performance.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
lose out 5 int to another job but you get to make 25k a day? hmmmm
not to mention at the front end of expacs jc was king.

im not sure where it stands today, but jc did me too much good for me to ever complain.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
After spending all of DS as the undisputed inferior profession in terms of stat bonuses, JC is once again the runt of the pack going into MoP.

Because secondary stat budgets are now doubled on gems, this changes the way we slot our sockets. If we have a secondary stat that is weighted more than half of our primary stat, we are now supposed to gem pure secondary stats in blue/yellows, and hybrids in reds.

The JC exclusive gems were not given double budget for secondary stats, so we're still stuck with pure reds for JC gems.

However, this 320 extra stats from JC gems requires a red gem in a red socket. This would have been fine if we were gemming pure reds in ret sockets anyways, but now we have a better option in the form of hybrid gems with double secondary stats. To obtain the JC stat bonus, we forgo the superior hydrid gem in favor of pure reds.

Because of this, the relative gain of using JC gems is LESS than 320 stats.

To fix this, the best option would be to provide hydrid JC gems that provide extra primary stats, such as +240 (80+160) strength and + 160 haste. This allows us to gem hybrid serpent's eyes while still obtaining the same +320 stat bonus standard on professions.

Probably the most thought out OP I've read all day. Thank you very much for putting this all together.

I have a JC on my priest which I'm currently leveling to 90 and I've always thought that JC was a decent profession to have. It's fairly easy to make money with and the stat bonuses to your own gems made it a little better. I know other professions have their own perks (self-only inscription shoulder enchant), but I didn't know how they compared to JC's.

I +1'd your post I hope a blue post comes out of this.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
anyone can gold cap by flipping expensive mounts, pets, recipes, etc. (and that is probably the easiest way)

how much gold one can make with JC is irrelevant to raid performance.

so level engi, get your stats, and never make a nickel.

i think if you consider that JC has been the best job for stats at the front of expacs - and by far the best gold maker, that it is in good enough shape.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Honestly, I'd rather make a ton of gold than have a few extra stat. It is not going to make a significant difference in your dps/healing/tanking. Min/max all ya want but an extra 100 of a stat is not going to get the boss killed or not.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Syk
10/05/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Rashend
Honestly, I'd rather make a ton of gold than have a few extra stat. It is not going to make a significant difference in your dps/healing/tanking. Min/max all ya want but an extra 100 of a stat is not going to get the boss killed or not.

I agree, but you should see the amount of complaining going on about how hard it is to farm enough food to keep a raid in +300 stat food rather than settling for the much-easier +275 stat feasts.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
I am more honked off at the fact that there is nothing with a socket in it until you do heroic MoP runs.

We need another Burning Crudsade style expansion. One with 10 levels to gain where you aren't swapping out your gear every 6 quests because all rewards are tailored to your class alone.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
I like reading forums to see what someone thinks is unfair for their own personal needs. I like how the idea of the game is supposed to be tailored so that everyone, especially the person complaining, can just casually walk through it, experience the story and a few dungeons and see pretty things. I also like how everyone would then complain that the game is too easy.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
10/05/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Mockrabbit
I like reading forums to see what someone thinks is unfair for their own personal needs. I like how the idea of the game is supposed to be tailored so that everyone, especially the person complaining, can just casually walk through it, experience the story and a few dungeons and see pretty things. I also like how everyone would then complain that the game is too easy.

What?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
oh ok jewelcrafting is useless... how bout a whole expansion u can make a 359 trinket thats obsolete in the 1st year and u dont get crap after that... be inscription once....
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
10/05/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Suestorm
oh ok jewelcrafting is useless... how bout a whole expansion u can make a 359 trinket thats obsolete in the 1st year and u dont get crap after that... be inscription once....

JCs got their alchemy stone in T11 and got nothing after that either.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
They really need to do better on upgrading goggles/philosopher stones/etc every tier.

And equalizing stats for crafting professions.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
10/05/2012 10:47 AMPosted by Pyraedine
JCs got their alchemy stone in T11 and got nothing after that either.

thats alchemist....
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't even bother using my JC'ing except to prospect raw gems to sell, and to cut gems for myself/friends. There are WAY too many jewelcrafters on my server and it's a huge competition.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight

The amount of gold I might or might not make from JC does not change the amount of stats I get from the profession.

Then switch professions.

Power level a new one with all the gold you've made from that one.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
...you're joking, right? i'm sure you're kidding. Engineering is the worst. We're able to craft guns, which ONLY Hunters can really use now. We can make robot pets, but only one per ACCOUNT is needed. We can make bombs, yet they're situational and often don't work well with rotations. About the only things we can make is our own enchants for belts and gloves, turning them into extra trinkets, and teleporters. There's the goggles, but they'll go obsolete in or before the major patch after 5.1.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]