Breaking the clicker habbit...

85 Undead Rogue
I am and have been since the typewriter a clicker. Being a clicker makes it almost impossible to raid with any sort of success. I have to look at the keyboard to hit certain shortcuts or key binds and that will be just enough time for me to miss the green stuff that appeared and I am now standing in.

Since I have been doing the "bad" way for so long and I have the muscle memory to consistently do it wrong, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve? I have a keyboard that has 5 macro keys at the left hand position too. I am currently running a blood DK...if that info helps. Thanks in advance!!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Go to a training dummy tie your right hand behind your back and practice your rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Start with the ability you spam the most, and put it on a keybind. When you get used to that, do a couple more. The more frequently you're forced to hit keys, the quicker you can build up that muscle memory. The same also goes for changing existing keybinds - doing it all at once will leave you frustrated and confused, so doing small changes and working in increments will be much smoother.

Bear in mind that you also don't have to keybind EVERY ability. Long cooldowns can be clicked instead, which also prevents you from fumbling the keyboard and blowing a cooldown too early.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I am and have been since the typewriter a clicker. Being a clicker makes it almost impossible to raid with any sort of success. I have to look at the keyboard to hit certain shortcuts...

I'm thinking you're using the word "clicker" differently than most people here do.

When we talk about clickers, we mean people who click on their abilities with a mouse, rather than use the keyboard keys they're bound to. I don't remember any typewriter that ever had a mouse. So I'm thinking you mean you hunt and peck rather than touch-type.

If I'm right about that, I'd suggest just googling for online touch-typing tutorials. Or. Stick your fingers on the home row, get a picture of a keyboard layout you can look at, and then lay a sheet of paper over your hands. Open up notepad and go to town. Write and write and write.

Find a way to cover or hide your hands and the keyboard while you play. Mess around with the training dummies and start questing.

The best way to develop this kind of muscle memory, IMO, is to give yourself no other choice.
Reply Quote
MVP
85 Goblin Warrior
If you are a serious gamer, and you have a problem with clicking. But not sure how to change because you want all your major tools easy to access with your hand, I highly recommend a gamepad. Razer has one that they acquired from Belkin, that I personally, really like. Called the Nostromo. It is actually somewhat designed around the curvature of the hand/wrist to minimize poor angles which can cause physical issues after long periods of exposure.
Reply Quote
11 Undead Priest
It took me a while to break that habit too, keep at it though, you'll break the habit eventually.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
When we talk about clickers, we mean people who click on their abilities with a mouse, rather than use the keyboard keys they're bound to. I don't remember any typewriter that ever had a mouse. So I'm thinking you mean you hunt and peck rather than touch-type.

Exactly. I'm a little better than a "pecker" (insert giggle), but I do still have to look at the keyboard to type. Thanks for all the tips. Please keep them coming if you have other ideas. I am ready to play some end game while it is cool and before I am 25 levels above it and can 2-man it.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
Maybe something else that would help: move/look with the mouse and zoom out with the camera to get a better overall feel. Personally I think we should each play the game to have fun and to heck with all this "clicker" drama.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Your problem is you are not a good typist. You need to get better at typing without looking at keyboard. Chatting on msn for example can help you with that. Try to find some online guide about typing. But that is not something you learn in one day, its a process.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
What I did to make it easy on myself was I downloaded the add-on Bartender, then customized it so I have four action bars on the bottom of my screen visible in the middle arranged like a miniature keyboard.

I set up my hotkeys to correspond to each position on this fake keyboard I've set up. So A is my most used ability, G my next most used ability, with R, V, Q, Z and W for other well-used abilities. ESDF is reserved for move forward, backward, and strafing left or right. I also have X, C, T, Y, B, H, and N hotkeyed for abilities and Shift-movement keys for rarely used things.

I don't use C anymore for my character panel - I just click my micro-menu to open that.

This visual setup makes it easy for me to glance at my graphic at bottom screen and see where all my abilities are located on the keyboard. This might be a good way to visually reinforce the muscle memory you are trying to develop. And if you get stumped - you always have a visual cheat card sitting right there on your screen.

Most people don't do this an hide the bars, but I prefer it this way. Gives me the option of mouseclicking when I want to sometimes as well. I often mouse-click Heroism, for instance - even though I have it hotkeyed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]