Is scorch mandatory for fire dps spec?

Or can you go with PoM instead? I just seriously never use it.
Edited by Maehix on 10/5/2012 5:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
I just use it during movement and fireball otherwise. PoM would technically provide more dps because you could throw out a non hotstreak pyroblast but meh
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
ice flows #1 all else filler.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
No, it's not mandatory, but it's what most fire mages go for since they had it in Cataclysm. It also activates procs and the mastery, so that's good. That said, you don't -have- to get it if you don't want to.
Reply Quote
PoM pyro is pretty fun though lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Vex
I havent tried Ice Flows. There is a lot of running around on some fights and being able to cast Scorch while on the move is nice. It seemed to be more beneficial than POM.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Scorch is such a significant DPS loss over fireball though.

better to just practice moving as minimally as possible.

I like ice flows because it offers movement when necessary without disrupting normal rotation. Chances are, if you're moving for more than ice flows allows, your moving unnecessarily.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

I like ice flows because it offers movement when necessary without disrupting normal rotation. Chances are, if you're moving for more than ice flows allows, your moving unnecessarily.

The idea is to use it while moving. Scorch is better than a pom pyro or 2 fireball casts. Moving minimally is all well and good but it's all situational.
Reply Quote
Some fights (not many) have so much movement that its better using Scorch over Ice Flows. However I will just mainly use Ice Flows. When trying to min max on a stand still fight like ultraxion PoM will be simlair to like 1 Hot streak whenever you want it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
can't believe im saying this...i agree with jksprit. ice flows is defiantly your best bet in most fights. practicing minimal movements and proper positioning. That said PoM should do better in straight up patchwork fights. In fights where moving a lot is key scorch will obviously come ahead.

IMO i like ice flows a lot for pve.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/05/2012 06:13 PMPosted by Brewslee
can't believe im saying this...i agree with jksprit.

i cant believe your on the winning side for once....

also fire pve seems so boring.

dont like it at all...
Edited by Jkspiritlink on 10/5/2012 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Vex

I think over time Ice Flows might take over Scorch but right now learning the fights there is a lot of movement. Limiting yourself to 2 free casts a minute I think is too stringent right now. I use Scorch a lot especially on a fight like Kings.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
A lot of these talents/shared spec spells have nice perks for each spec and usually a really good perk for the matching spell school. In the case of Scorch, it benefits from Critical Mass and can proc heating up. I find myself moving more than twice a minute on fights so I'd use it.
Edited by Digerati on 10/5/2012 8:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes, but scorch also can proc Arcane Missiles. they arn't trying to make things synergize exactly like that and scorch may proc Ice Lance not sure.

And by Critcal Mass I think you mean the new Pyromaniac which is also incorrect scorch does not benfit from that.

10/05/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink

For some reason I suck at frost and Arcane PvE so I be'n luv'n dat good ol' Fire PvE forever. I like it
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/05/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink
can't believe im saying this...i agree with jksprit.

i cant believe your on the winning side for once....

dont like it at all...

im always on the winning side.

and i agree. i pve arcane
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Scorch has a 9% chance to proc FoF.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/05/2012 08:56 PMPosted by Brewslee
im always on the winning side.

mmm.... no.
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 09:11 PMPosted by Digerati
Scorch has a 9% chance to proc FoF.

Yeah so its nothing specail for Fire using scorch. Its just as effective for Arcane or frost to use scorch as fire.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
TBH i grabed scorch because that is what i am use to lol.

However i do agree with JK icey flows is better for 90% of the time.

standstill patchwerk/ultra style figth POM is the better choice

90% of fights icey flows is better

the other group of figths very very movement ehavy hardly ever sstanding still like say thing RS in the portal area scorch is the better choice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Vex
10/05/2012 08:51 PMPosted by Pyrokinz
And by Critcal Mass I think you mean the new Pyromaniac which is also incorrect scorch does not benfit from that.

Digerati said Scorch procs Heating Up which it does and Heating Up is beneficial to Fire.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]