Lock or Mage - am really stuck!

85 Worgen Mage
hello :-)

i have always loved my mages, in every MMO i play - i pick mages! i loved my mage all through cata, she pulled amazing DPs (arcane.. yes i'm lazy :-P)

now that MOP is here.. i'm wondering if it's worth to stay a mage, or goto my lock (level 70) for something new and fresh..

are locks good in MOP? are their rotations hard? is mage / locks DPs competitive?

any tips would be appreciated

TIA
Edited by Zåråh on 10/6/2012 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I played a mage from vanilla through cata, then switched to my warlock for mop. In 5.0 at 85, mage DPS felt extremely boring. The specs felt way too similar.

I can tell you that at warlock dps at 90 is way more difficult and interesting than mage dps has ever been, and every spec feels completely different. Apparently affliction is the top dps spec in the game. I was having my doubts about that initially because my dps felt horrible compared to other classes, but since I've geared up and settled into affliction, I'm consistently topping meters in 5 mans.. for what that's worth.

In pvp, warlocks have tons of potential, but are nowhere near as easy as mages.

Basically, either class would be a good decision, but I'm glad I went with my warlock this time.
Edited by Lethos on 10/6/2012 5:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
thanks for that Leth, gave me some insight! so hard for me to pick classes!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Mage because GC plays one so we never go through a phase where we absolutely suck.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
pick either or if your looking to become the cheapest playing class in the game. Mages and locks need to be put through the grinder and dumped in the garbage. they take fun away from this game.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/06/2012 07:46 PMPosted by Mcpoop
Mage because GC plays one so we never go through a phase where we absolutely suck.

Anyone with this mentality is a sheep.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
10/06/2012 07:46 PMPosted by Mcpoop

GC plays a Warlock now, from what I've heard.. !@#$'s going down, mate.

i have always loved my mages, in every MMO i play - i pick mages! i loved my mage all through cata, she pulled amazing DPs (arcane.. yes i'm lazy :-P)

now that MOP is here.. i'm wondering if it's worth to stay a mage, or goto my lock (level 70) for something new and fresh..

are locks good in MOP? are their rotations hard? is mage / locks DPs competitive?

TIA

Basically, what I read here was:

"I play a Mage. I love my Mage. It's my favourite character/class. I wouldn't be able to do anything without my Mage."

If that didn't dumb it down enough for you, I'll answer your questions here:

1. Are 'Locks good in MoP?
(Assuming exact same gear, rotation, perfect reforging/gemming/enchanting.)

1st Rank DPS T14H - Affliction: 130,179 DPS
2nd - Fire
3rd - Frost
4th - Arcane
7th - Demonology
19th - Destruction....

Use your powers of deduction to examine a) consistency, b) viablity, c) anything else you feel necessary.

2. Rotations..

Affliction: Apply DoT's, cast Haunt, spam Malefic Grasp until reapplication of DoT's are needed. Uptime on Haunt is crucial.

Demonology: Keep Corruption up, apply Doom debuff (Meta form), juggle Hand of Gul'dan Shadowflame effect, Shadowbolt spam, when > 900 DF, Touch of Chaos spam.

Destruction: Well... you played Arcane, so there you go.

10/06/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Zåråh

You love Mage. Go Mage.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
10/06/2012 09:12 PMPosted by Horrus
pick either or if your looking to become the cheapest playing class in the game. Mages and locks need to be put through the grinder and dumped in the garbage. they take fun away from this game.

Hahaha posted on a dk. Must be a troll.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Warlock

TIA

They're both good in pve and pvp. Do you want to be hated by other players for a reason or hated for no reason?

Mages are like a song with two part harmony and three cords. Nice, but not very exciting.

Warlocks are like a German opera - engaging, varied, and if you understand your subject, never ever boring.
Edited by Zauberei on 10/7/2012 10:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Warlock

If you can muster something other mindlessly tunneling the lock (pre-Mists DK strat v. Locks) and perhaps pay attention and use the kit you have, you shouldn't really have much of an issue with a Lock.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

I have multiple alts, and can beat locks all the time. Just have to learn how to counter them, isnt hard.

As far as the OP goes, If you are looking to play a class that has many options, many different builds, and that are more complex to play, go lock. But im bias.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]