The loot solution to end all loot solutions

100 Orc Warrior
Just got out of a not so fun Mogu'shan Palace. Apparently, the DK tank figured he needed the dps plate helm that drops off of the first boss as well, and (of course), he won. I've had this happen quite a few times, and I thought of a solution that would benefit all the victims of people ninja-looting their upgrades.
Implement need plus rolls in LFD.
Blizzard already has the technology to do it. People would stop being taken advantage of by the broken loot system. It's a perfect idea!

Plus, I know some of you tanks/healers like to gear up your OS with LFD. No problem! If the dps doesn't need the gear, you can still get it! (Also, this system would apply to all gear in general, didn't mean to act like this was JUST for dps gear.) Opinions?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Haste is one of the top stats for DK tanks now, stop thinking Cataclysm, DPS gear is great for tanking now.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
He didn't need it for tanking, or he would have equipped the helmet after, which was an immediate upgrade for him. And this is besides the point.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
10/06/2012 11:18 PMPosted by Unbreakäbull
He didn't need it for tanking, or he would have equipped the helmet after, which was an immediate upgrade for him. And this is besides the point.

a Meta gem slot, and a yellow socket make it inferior to a 450 head without gems because gems draw from item budget.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
did you tink your suggestion through, looking at pros and cons?

for example...when xxarthoslolqtypie starts tanking, he won't have much tank gear. So it comes down to player skill...and since 404...it comes down to healer's gear.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
So they're supposed to need on non tank or non healer gear? It would allow tanks and healers to get need plus rolls on their gear too.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I have recently gotten into the habit of needing on DPS plate and 2H weapons when tanking. The DPS don't care at all and they will always need your tank gear. I have been nice plenty of times during dungeons only to get shafted at the end because the DPS I was letting have their gear uncontested needed, won, and peace'd out. So I need theirs and see if I can use it as collateral in case they take tanking gear. It generally doesn't work unless it is a weapon though.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
10/06/2012 11:32 PMPosted by Unbreakäbull
So they're supposed to need on non tank or non healer gear? It would allow tanks and healers to get need plus rolls on their gear too.

The line is blurred right now,

Define tank gear, if you think it's purely dodge/parry, I will show you the chart where dodge/parry aren't the highest 2ndary for tanks.

Dodge/Parry is the only Exclusive tank gear, but that's the only gear in this game exclusive to 1 role.

Tanks need hit, exp, in some cases, Crit, haste, and mastery are higher priorty than dodge and parry.

DPS need everything but Dodge/Parry

Healers need everything but dodge/parry/expertise/hit (with their current talent set giving them boss level hit cap)

So, in effect, the only roles realistically limited would be Pure DPS not being able to roll on spirit, and DPS/Healers not rolling on Dodge/Parry.

Some of my best 5 man pieces would fall under your definition of "DPS Gear", why should I be penalized because the Sha of Entitlement is unbeatable?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/06/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Gabelous
I have recently gotten into the habit of needing on DPS plate and 2H weapons when tanking. The DPS don't care at all and they will always need your tank gear. I have been nice plenty of times during dungeons only to get shafted at the end because the DPS I was letting have their gear uncontested needed, won, and peace'd out. So I need theirs and see if I can use it as collateral in case they take tanking gear. It generally doesn't work unless it is a weapon though.

Yeah pretty much what this guy said. I have gotten burned in a similar fashion at least once per run. I don't like doing it but there is no other way to gear currently with everybody needing.
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 11:12 PMPosted by Unbreakäbull
Implement need plus rolls in LFD
yes, that worked SO WELL for LFR that blizzard TOOK IT OUT OF THE GAME

there is nothing wrong with being able to gear up your CLASS in dungeons that you can repeat infinitly
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 12:20 AMPosted by Judgernaut
there is no other way to gear currently with everybody needing.
um, winning a NEED roll IS the way EVERYONE else is gearing their classes in dungeons, why can't you?
Edited by Zaxen on 10/7/2012 1:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
10/07/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Postonforums
why should I be penalized because the Sha of Entitlement is unbeatable?

Ok that made me laugh,....

# have a waffle.. :)

Anyway on topic, during the process of gearing, I also lost items to other people rolling on them, tanks / healers other dps etc. Sure it was fustrating when I was trying to gear for raid, but it IS NOT the end of the world. Just queue again and keep trying.

The loot doesn't belong to you until it is in your bag, aka you win the roll. Failing that, there are alternative temporary items you can use to tide you over from the JP vendors now that they've removed rep requirements.

It really isn't hard to gear out...
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
10/07/2012 02:02 AMPosted by Waraila
why should I be penalized because the Sha of Entitlement is unbeatable?

Ok that made me laugh,....

# have a waffle.. :)

Anyway on topic, during the process of gearing, I also lost items to other people rolling on them, tanks / healers other dps etc. Sure it was fustrating when I was trying to gear for raid, but it IS NOT the end of the world. Just queue again and keep trying.

The loot doesn't belong to you until it is in your bag, aka you win the roll. Failing that, there are alternative temporary items you can use to tide you over from the JP vendors now that they've removed rep requirements.

It really isn't hard to gear out...

You're right... it isn't. I'm at a 462 item level after less than a week.

I have no issues with classes rolling need on gear... rolling need on offspec gear... all good. What I do have a problem with is ninja looting... like what happened to me an hour ago in Gates of the Setting Sun when a DK rolled need on the cloth helm from the first boss.

His taunting comments left no doubt his actions were deliberate.

I don't need some fancy loot rolling system to fix this type of ninja looting problem... instead the roll system shouldn't allow players to roll on gear that their class wasn't designed to use.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Dailies are an important part of gear progression in Mists. Everyone needs DPS gear.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
He wears plate and can spec dps. That's all there is to it. Stop thinking that just because you refuse to do anything other than DPS that others don't play more than one spec.

Heck, his main spec might have been DPS and he just wasn't stupid enough to wait 30 min for a queue when he could get in instantly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
10/07/2012 01:31 AMPosted by Zaxen
um, winning a NEED roll IS the way EVERYONE else is gearing their classes in dungeons, why can't you?

This.

You get the same chance that anyone else does. Learn to handle disappointment better.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Postonforums

The line is blurred right now,

Define tank gear, if you think it's purely dodge/parry, I will show you the chart where dodge/parry aren't the highest 2ndary for tanks.

Dodge/Parry is the only Exclusive tank gear, but that's the only gear in this game exclusive to 1 role.

Tanks need hit, exp, in some cases, Crit, haste, and mastery are higher priorty than dodge and parry.

DPS need everything but Dodge/Parry

Healers need everything but dodge/parry/expertise/hit (with their current talent set giving them boss level hit cap)

So, in effect, the only roles realistically limited would be Pure DPS not being able to roll on spirit, and DPS/Healers not rolling on Dodge/Parry.

Some of my best 5 man pieces would fall under your definition of "DPS Gear", why should I be penalized because the Sha of Entitlement is unbeatable?

Yeah this has made gearing my Dk a bit difficult and annoying.

I have gotten yelled at by dps a few times for needing on crit/mastery gear which is awesome for a blood.

The only trouble im seeing is the gem bonus is STR which doesnt seem a priority stat.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
10/07/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Sarosha
I have gotten yelled at by dps a few times for needing on crit/mastery gear which is awesome for a blood.

Mastery, sure. But what does crit rating do for Blood? Isn't it a pure damage stat?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
10/07/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Keeblik
Mastery, sure. But what does crit rating do for Blood? Isn't it a pure damage stat?

ya, crit doesn't help survivability, beyond the boss dying sooner.

Haste is being theorized as one of our better stats

10/07/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Sarosha
The only trouble im seeing is the gem bonus is STR which doesnt seem a priority stat.

Str isn't far behind parry for pure avoidance, the rating converstion from pure Strength makes it pretty useful for tanking.
Edited by Postonforums on 10/7/2012 3:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Interestingly enough, there are some unambiguous tanking pieces that have strength socket bonuses:

Stonestep Boots
Helm of Rising Flame
Wraithplate Treads
Canine Commander's Breastplate

Even some raid drops:
Articulated Legplates
Cuirass of the Animated Protector
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]