Destro for Arenas

90 Human Warlock
Why are people picking on Destro/saying it's not good for arenas? I find it pretty good for arenas, if you look at my record (2v2 and 3v3) it's mostly us losing but that's because most teams have a healer, and we don't (we're just messing around with arenas as of now) but I find it rare when I hit under 100k with chaos bolt. If I slap a havoc on someone that's 200k+ damage I usually see in 3 seconds. I'm not even geared..

(As of now we are frost/fire/destro messing around, when start for real it will be feral/destro/hpal)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Seeing as this is the start of the season, and possibly the best time for trail and error teams, people will say that some compositions won't be viable, and "Blah, blah, I have Arena experience, this will not work *bangs gavel*".

I went 8-1 with another Destro buddy that I PvP with, (the 3 extra losses to my name are with a Frost Mage that I gave up on.) the only time we lost were to a Frost DK and an Arms Warrior, which we beat twice before (I guess they got hold of our strategy - Voidwalker > Disarm Bladestorm/Recklessness > Sac and VW > Disarm Pillar of Frost/AMS > Sac).

Healers couldn't stand against our fears, as most people didn't have a trinket, or if they used one, forcing a trinket wasn't too hard; (Shadowfury, Coil, Howl of Terror, Double Fear, juking CBs etc.) and we would generally destroy the other player within 10-15 seconds of the Arena match starting...

[quote="67937905029"]but I find it rare when I hit under 100k with chaos bolt.[/quote

I cry if my Chaos Bolt doesn't hit for 100k+..
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

10/07/2012 06:08 PMPosted by Trabeth
but I find it rare when I hit under 100k with chaos bolt.

I cry if my Chaos Bolt doesn't hit for 100k+..

dat priest bubble absorption
Edited by Trabeth on 10/7/2012 6:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Why are people picking on Destro/saying it's not good for arenas? I find it pretty good for arenas, if you look at my record (2v2 and 3v3) it's mostly us losing but that's because most teams have a healer, and we don't (we're just messing around with arenas as of now) but I find it rare when I hit under 100k with chaos bolt. If I slap a havoc on someone that's 200k+ damage I usually see in 3 seconds. I'm not even geared..

(As of now we are frost/fire/destro messing around, when start for real it will be feral/destro/hpal)

play past 1500 and you'll see XD
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock

play past 1500 and you'll see XD

It's almost amusing how every time someone makes a claim like this, they provide zero evidence, only a cryptic statement.

Having a highly rated arena team (I use that term loosely, 1700 lol) doesn't make your word in any way credible.
Edited by Lethos on 10/7/2012 9:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Running double destro lock/resto shaman in about an hour...I'll come back and post how it goes. :) pray for no BM hunters
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Just ran destro/Hpally and it was awesome. Won all four matches and it was fun as heck. BM hunter/Frost mage was my hardest counter but I got a BoP and just killed the mage; Also beat ret/dk and feral/dk.

When my destro lock friend gets to 90 we are going to run destro(x2).
Edited by Dorigan on 10/7/2012 10:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
This is a post from Arena Junkies, which sums up my feelings as to why Destro will not beat Affliction.

"Because we had coil, howl, shadowfury + 30% haste in wotlk, cast time was so fast ! Conflag and Incinerate were doing nice damage which its not the case in MoP. (Regarding WotLK Destro to now)

Actual destro doesn't burst at all without demon soul + trinket, so basically if you manage to cast your chaos bolt under demon soul + trinket, you should do a big crit and you have some chance to one shot.
If your target didn't took a one shot, you have to wait 2 min again.
Any average players will always keep something to stop you from casting it.

Numbers :

Chaos bolt without demon soul + trinket = 80k ~
Chaos bolt with demon soul + trinket = 120k to 250k i guess but very hard to cast, because when they see you using your cds, they just use everything to stop you."
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
This is a post from Arena Junkies, which sums up my feelings as to why Destro will not beat Affliction.

"Because we had coil, howl, shadowfury + 30% haste in wotlk, cast time was so fast ! Conflag and Incinerate were doing nice damage which its not the case in MoP. (Regarding WotLK Destro to now)

Actual destro doesn't burst at all without demon soul + trinket, so basically if you manage to cast your chaos bolt under demon soul + trinket, you should do a big crit and you have some chance to one shot.

Numbers :

Chaos bolt with demon soul + trinket = 120k to 250k i guess but very hard to cast, because when they see you using your cds, they just use everything to stop you."

10/10

if you wanna play destro in arena pair with something that is more than a threath than you a.k.a warrior/fire mage if not dont even think about it
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Say what you want, but even though we've lost a good deal of our utility, we can still make up for it by playing with a team that compliments us.

Just look at L S D 1.0. Yes, we lost the mix of howl, coil and shadowfury, however ele shaman got capacitor totem so it wouldn't be wise of us to grab shadowfury anyway due to sharing DR's. The damage of destro and ele, combined with the mixed utility of ele, destro and resto will be a very potent mix regardless of the fact that destro lost some of its CC ability.

Point being, destro will be much more viable than it has been since wotlk ended, however we must see how it plays out. As of now, crit is looking like our go to secondary stat and crit is only going to be more and more abundant as gear improves. Our damage output is quite good as of now even with low crit chance so things can only improve. Affliction will be more widely played, but I believe destruction will still get a fair amount of usage in high level arena throughout the xpac.

Edit: Just had to point out... dont listen to the person above me. Any destro lock that picks up blood fear, meaning they cant force trinkets with fear and re-fear, and that horrid talent KC, which effectively is a self-snare, needs to learn the spec a bit more... No offense intended, but you shouldn't be going around talking about arena viability when you yourself dont even seem to know how to spec.

Re-Edit: Had to fix comp abbreviation since it was censored -_-
Edited by Supro on 10/8/2012 12:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
10/07/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Simplexity
Running double destro lock/resto shaman in about an hour...I'll come back and post how it goes. :) pray for no BM hunters

Well it worked pretty decently, 13-9, playing at 2100 MMR (pretty decently high now, only was facing one team that was higher than us).

Basically it can beat anything without too much trouble without a warrior. Warriors are probably the hardest class to kill because of their reflects, they have pretty much 100% uptime whenever they want, and can prevent a lot of damage with all their stuns/silences and things like Safeguard. We lost to this warrior/mage/druid like 5 times, but the mage and druid were multi R1s and the warrior was a 3xglad. Then we lost a random game here and to some random burst comp - KFC/Double BM hunter/Shatterplay, but for the most part we beat these teams pretty easily. The funny thing is out of 9 losses, our shaman was the one to die each of those times - it's really really hard to kill a Destro Lock now.

As far as our offensive pressure went, we just build up embers and then bursted with Chaos Bolts at the same time. We both took Blood Fear and just double feared both the healer and one of the DPS and just hit whatever we wanted for easy double CC. Our talents varied a bit too. I took Coil while he took Shadowfury so we had diff DR CCs. I also sacrificed an Imp while he sacrificed a Felhunter. With the Imp I could dispel my healer out of CC and stuff like that.
Reply Quote
81 Worgen Druid
Since multi-DoTing and Affliction control is weak right now, Destro is on top (evidenced by Warlocks like Maldiva playing Destro rather than Afflic now, as well as Reckful playing with a Demo lock earlier.)

I honestly don't see Affliction coming back in this expansion. Needing Haunt + MG to do significant damage has killed the spec in PvP.

Maldiva still switches to aff sometimes, it's too hard to get casts off against good teams.

Talbadar, nada and cdew were playing shadowplay and the beat reckfuls KFC. They were doing pretty well overall too.

Nada was aff for that game.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock

Numbers :

This is crap. Yea, most of destruction's burst relies on popping DS... but doesn't every other spec?

Demo does nothing outside of meta with cooldowns popped. I won't even talk about affliction with its horrible dots and absurd soul shard regen rate.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Numbers :

This is crap. Yea, most of destruction's burst relies on popping DS... but doesn't every other spec?

Demo does nothing outside of meta with cooldowns popped. I won't even talk about affliction with its horrible dots and absurd soul shard regen rate.

Actually, I personally feel Affliction damage is fine without Dark Soul; at least damage can still be done.

No team with half of a brain will let a Chaos Bolt go off. Since I started doing 3's, we just save Spell Locks, Silences, and Wind Shears for Destro Locks; needless to say, their damage on the scoreboard reflects the inability to do it.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
10/08/2012 02:22 PMPosted by Soundpusher
No team with half of a brain will let a Chaos Bolt go off. Since I started doing 3's, we just save Spell Locks, Silences, and Wind Shears for Destro Locks; needless to say, their damage on the scoreboard reflects the inability to do it.

What's unending resolve?

I think destruction is as good as you make it. You start strong early, keep momentum, and get good CC for just a moment and people die. I just hate double melee..
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
10/08/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Zayl
What's unending resolve?

Apparently it's what you use to try and survive a melee dps insane burst. To use it as an attempt to cast a spell is to ask to be cc'd.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/08/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Zayl

What's unending resolve?

I think destruction is as good as you make it. You start strong early, keep momentum, and get good CC for just a moment and people die. I just hate double melee..

You're honestly going to use a 3 min CD (2.67 with 2-piece) to cast a spell? It'll still get Grounded or you'll be CCed during it.

I promise you, getting a Chaos Bolt off will be near impossible knowing how decent it is. Attempting to cast anything with a Warrior on you will be impossible.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/08/2012 05:29 PMPosted by Soundpusher

What's unending resolve?

You're honestly going to use a 3 min CD (2.67 with 2-piece) to cast a spell? It'll still get Grounded or you'll be CCed during it.

I promise you, getting a Chaos Bolt off will be near impossible knowing how decent it is. Attempting to cast anything with a Warrior on you will be impossible.

Oh, right, because affliction and demo perform so much better with a warrior on you. Channeling MG/DS is soo much more realistic, right?

Sure, demo can do great DPS with a melee on them while in meta, but good luck generating enough fury to any meaningful damage. If chaos bolt is so impossible to cast, how do you plan to get a shadow bolt off?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]