Just like Ret Mastery, Combo Breaker sucks:

90 Pandaren Monk
It is unclear to me why Combo Breaker was designed the way it was when basically the same mastery was so unsuccessful for Retribution paladins. Luckily there is an easy way to make Combo Breaker infinitely more desirable and less rotationally annoying with no later-tier GCD capping repercussions:

Combo Breaker: Blackout Kick: Your next Blackout Kick hits 50% harder
Combo Breaker: Tiger Palm: Your next Tiger Palm hits 300% harder and grants the monk three stacks of Tiger Palm.

In one fell swoop, Tiger Palm is made much more fun, Tiger Palm buff stacking is made much less annoying, and GCD problems are entirely removed, while keeping the Combo Breaker concept intact. It's an easy change, lets make it happen.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Still my favorite solution is to just have the mastery procs piggyback and fire off with a normally casted TP / BoK. That way with mastery adds a tad bit of burst to monks as well, something we're desperately needing alongside either a new actual baseline WW CD or a way to have stacks of TB up pre-pull so we can actually open up with some burst like every other dps spec in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You can get Tigereye Brew up prepull using Expel Harm and one of the level 30 talents. Pop the ability right before the pull happens, and the buff (appears) to stay. Essentially the same deal as pre-potting.

I'm not saying it's ok that we have to do that- it's the exact same issue moonkins used to have with eclipse, and they got celestial alignment (if I'm remembering the ability name correctly) to fix that.

Windwalkers have a number of issues, all of which tie together to damage our viability. Any one issue really doesn't explain the scope of the problem well enough-
Mastery is worthless, and very nearly gcd caps us

Fists of Fury channel just exacerbates the gcd cap problem, isn't fun to hit, and causes us problems on highly mobile fights (also not bursty, and useless as a cleave, which are other problems)

We have no cleave, which hurts on any fight with multiple targets. Will of the Emperor (I haven't personally done this one, but it's blatantly obvious that with all the adds that spawn, cleave can be highly useful), Stone Guard (cleave fight), Heroic Spirit Kings (possibly, haven't done it yet, but with 2 active at once, cleave could be very useful)... and that's just the first instance of the tier. Fists of Fury links into this because of the insistence on forcing it into our single target rotation during beta, and its meteor split.

The spec lacks on demand, useful burst- unless you jump through the hoop of building it up and popping Tigereye Brew pre-pull, and even that is weak compared to most. Damage is spread out over too many gcds, with Fists of Fury's long channel, tiger palm's wet-noodle damage (though the arpen buff is nice... sadly, 3 stacks is painful from a burst perspective).

No execute- fights often have mechanics that require dps to burst something down once it's low, and lacking both an execute and decent burst cooldowns again leaves us in a sort of limbo where we don't have high enough sustained early on to be wanted at the start and middle, or high enough execute phase burst to be wanted at the end.

All this together is what's making the spec weak in the damage department (ignoring sheer numbers stuff- we could probably use an across the board numbers boost).

A completely separate point is that unlike every other hybrid, we have no raid cds, offensive or defensive. Ret, Feral/Balance, Enhance/Ele, Shadow, Fury/Arms wars, and frost/unholy dks all have raid cds, or at least can snag one in a talent, sometimes both. There is zero reason to bring a windwalker over any other hybrid, let alone the insane damage and utility of the pures right now (examples- time warp, smoke bomb/blade flurry, ancient hysteria, not sure what locks bring admittedly).

My apologies for the wall of text by the way. Been pointing out the problems with pieces of the spec since beta in hopes they'd be addressed.

TL:DR- The windwalker problems all snowball together to take the spec down to the point where anything and everything else brings more than it, damage included. It needs a focused look that it didn't appear to get in the beta (bold for emphasis on the word appear- I'm sure it got a look, but the amount of iteration the other specs gave an appearance of neglect).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You can get Tigereye Brew up prepull using Expel Harm and one of the level 30 talents. Pop the ability right before the pull happens, and the buff (appears) to stay. Essentially the same deal as pre-potting.

This will not work. I was trying this before Elegon and your stacks are cleared upon pulling a raid boss. This same thing happens to MW and their mana tea.

We have no cleave, which hurts on any fight with multiple targets. Will of the Emperor (I haven't personally done this one, but it's blatantly obvious that with all the adds that spawn, cleave can be highly useful), Stone Guard (cleave fight), Heroic Spirit Kings (possibly, haven't done it yet, but with 2 active at once, cleave could be very useful)... and that's just the first instance of the tier. Fists of Fury links into this because of the insistence on forcing it into our single target rotation during beta, and its meteor split.

The spec lacks on demand, useful burst- unless you jump through the hoop of building it up and popping Tigereye Brew pre-pull, and even that is weak compared to most. Damage is spread out over too many gcds, with Fists of Fury's long channel, tiger palm's wet-noodle damage (though the arpen buff is nice... sadly, 3 stacks is painful from a burst perspective).

A completely separate point is that unlike every other hybrid, we have no raid cds, offensive or defensive. Ret, Feral/Balance, Enhance/Ele, Shadow, Fury/Arms wars, and frost/unholy dks all have raid cds, or at least can snag one in a talent, sometimes both. There is zero reason to bring a windwalker over any other hybrid, let alone the insane damage and utility of the pures right now (examples- time warp, smoke bomb/blade flurry, ancient hysteria, not sure what locks bring admittedly).

These three issues lead to me being sat when my guild cleared 6/6 on 5/6 fights. I'll be back in once we resume 25m's this week but doing 10m without a raid CD or cleave, I had no chance at a spot. These were all brought up on the beta and completely ignored. Hopefully 5.1 has a huge overhaul waiting for WW.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

This will not work. I was trying this before Elegon and your stacks are cleared upon pulling a raid boss. This same thing happens to MW and their mana tea.

I mean you hit your tigereye brew button right before pull while at whatever stacks. I know stacks are cleared (an issue in and of itself), but if you hit TB before pull(and therefore before stacks actually clear), the actual x% damage boost stays on you. It's exactly like moonkins having to kill critters to proc eclipse back in cataclysm, except replace critters with hitting expel harm and your tier 30 talent every 15s.
Edited by Kinthe on 10/9/2012 9:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Ah I see what you're saying. Yeah it would work, its still ridiculous that we can't start a fight up with increased damage like every other DPS spec in the game. Still it takes forever to build up stacks and my RL would never wait for them. We're lucky to get a food buff back up half the time lol.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It is ridiculous- it really is the exact same problem balance druids had throughout cataclysm, just like fists of fury's channel time is the same problem warriors had with slam for years, except worse. The only reason I'm sometimes able to take advantage of that trick is because of stacks carrying over from death... if they don't fall off due to some other unforeseen circumstance.

For the math: 4 chi per stack. 2 chi per expel harm. 15 second cd. 30 seconds per stack, 10 stacks, that's 300 seconds (aka 5 minutes) to stack up the buff with nothing but expel harm.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]