Was MoP a success financially?

90 Tauren Monk
I am just curious if they got the numbers they were hoping for.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
inb4 joke about only 700k retail copies and no mention of digital sales
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2949-2-7-Million-copies-of-MoP-sold-WoW-passes-10M-Subscribers
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
Lets see, 2.7 million copies sold at launch (which puts it right smack in line with all the previous launches), a huge upswing in subscribers overnight that puts them back above the fabled 10 million mark, and pretty much glowing reviews from just about everybody.

Yeah, I'd say it was a huge financial success.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Priest
10/09/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Mayliene
inb4 joke about only 700k retail copies and no mention of digital sales

It's especially amusing when one compares the margin difference between a digital sale and retail sale.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
I could not find anything on google, but I was hoping they would do well. Mists is well worth the money to me so far. I was hoping that it would put them out of the Cataclysm ditch.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I would be really amazed if it didn't do a lot better than Cataclysm. Call it a gut feeling, or whatever, but I could tell Cata was not going well when it was new. It wasn't just that I didn't like it; it seemed nobody did, and the general buzz in the game and subconscious (for lack of a better term) feelings reflected that.

This time it's completely different. I will be shocked if their numbers haven't skyrocketed in comparison with Cata.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
pfft, i think blizzard should mail me a check for 2 million........they got enough

just sayin
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Considering they still have something like 9 mil subscribers? Yeah, its a financial success.
Reply Quote
51 Human Paladin
It did worst then the last expansion launch which got 3 million in a single day. 2.7 million in a week shows that wow is starting to age. As for subscribers that will start to go down in the next few months when the one year contract for diablo 3 is over.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Wow has a HUGE buy in price....Vanilla-Wrath, Cata and MoP + monthly sub...sheesh, who in their right minds would willingly pay $120+ just to START playing a game that (by todays standards) looks like mush?

I really haven't thought about the buy-in price. I know that I definitely would not pay that much all at once to start. I'm actually starting to wonder if the monthly subscription cost is worth it since my income took a huge nose dive and I've been cutting costs.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
10/09/2012 08:55 AMPosted by Tuto
It did worst then the last expansion launch which got 3 million in a single day. 2.7 million in a week shows that wow is starting to age.
You are confused.

Yes, the initial sales of MoP were lower than the initial sales of Cataclysm, but you can't say Cata had 3 million in a day and MoP had 2.7 in a week.

The "in a day" stuff is first off not an official number. It is what third party reporters calculate based on the sales numbers they aggregate from multiple vendors. Basically they go out and see how many copies Walmart sold on the first day, and Target, and EB, and Gamestop, etc and then calculate out what the total numbers should approximately be.

They couldn't do that sufficiently with MoP because the vast majority of sales were digital, directly from Blizzard. You'll remember the original "only 700k units sold" line that got tossed around by those same report agencies because thats how few physical copies were sold.

A week later Blizzard released it's official numbers of 2.7 million. It isn't that it took an entire week's worth of sales to reach that number, its just that it took an entire week for Blizzard's regularly scheduled business meeting to officially announce them.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
We'd have to know how much it cost them to develop to know how much they made from it and determine the financial success.

But in terms of units sold, subs, and just plain fun I'd say it was a success. : )
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Yes, the initial sales of MoP were lower than the initial sales of Cataclysm, but you can't say Cata had 3 million in a day and MoP had 2.7 in a week.

The "in a day" stuff is first off not an official number.

The numbers are all from Blizzard press releases, so they are official numbers. You can still look up old press releases on their investor relations page.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
10/09/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Factor
I really haven't thought about the buy-in price. I know that I definitely would not pay that much all at once to start. I'm actually starting to wonder if the monthly subscription cost is worth it since my income took a huge nose dive and I've been cutting costs.
Well, look at it on an hourly basis.

How much do you pay per month to play (the longer you buy chunks in, the cheaper it is), and how many hours per month do you play? Once you know that, you can work out how much money you are spending per hour to play WoW.

Lets say you play an average of 2 hours a day (could be an hour a day with a couple extra on the weekends). Thats 14 hours a week, x4 weeks a month for 56 hours a month. Lets say you're paying the most expensive way at $15 a month. That works out to about 26-27 cents per hour to play WoW.

You can then use that as a direct comparison to other forms of entertainment you enjoy. How much do you spend to go see a movie? Odds are you're looking at about $10 for just the ticket for a movie that is going to be less than 2 hours long. So thats $5+ per hour to see a movie.

Going to a sports game? Better believe its going to be more than a quarter per hour.

Figure it all out, and you'll probably realize that WoW is the cheapest entertainment you've got.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/09/2012 09:01 AMPosted by Skinlesscorp
This. Even though I love the graphics, I doubt many people who have never ever touched WoW would like it, because they are used to Skyrim/B3/CoD graphics.

As a gamer it brings me great shame when we let graphics decide what is and isn't a good game...............................

Kids these days I tell ya.

(Not calling you out just saying that as a general statement about those who do such things)
Reply Quote
67 Pandaren Monk
As a gamer it brings me great shame when we let graphics decide what is and isn't a good game...............................

Kids these days I tell ya.

While it is sad that so many let graphics judge, I'm still happy that you can buy a pixel Indie game on Steam for $5.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]