Warrior tank stats priority

90 Human Warrior
Is there a general consensus on a stat priority? I read around (Theck :D) that for less spike damage you want more than just 7.5% hit/exp, and for less overall damage you want more avoidance/mastery. However if I'd like to go for less overall damage what should the priority be? I've found: Stam > mast > parry > dodge > hit/xp > haste. Seems about right imo, what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Your priority implies that haste has any value at all for prot. Haste is currently as useful as spirit. :P

Personally, I'd put hit/exp higher than dodge, and stamina really just depends on how much health you need to not go splat, but apart from that, yeah, that's about right.

Also, strength is probably between hit/exp and dodge. Maybe higher than hit/exp. Not as high as parry though.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Dodge is my first choice for reforging to keep Hit and Expertise both around 4%. I believe in quality of living.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
i'm going 7.5 expert/hit > mastery (50% crit block + 10 rage on enrage) > parry > Dodge
Edited by Velithara on 10/10/2012 9:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I'm running roughly 3% hit and 4.3% expertise, and running at 420k unbuffed hp.

I haven't really noticed any major issues.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I'm running with 1.68% Hit and 0.66% Expertise and haven't really noticed any issues with threat, then again have only tanked heroics so far as it's off-spec.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I'm running 1.7% on both, and th eonly time I'm not really hurting for rage at all.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10/10/2012 07:02 AMPosted by Bloodcharged
I'm running with 1.68% Hit and 0.66% Expertise and haven't really noticed any issues with threat,

Hit/expertise is not for threat... It's for rage generation. Without it, we won't hit them active mitigation buttons as often. For 5mans it doesn't really matter one way or another. Raids are different, and you certainly feel it then. However, it's all preference, easy enough to go however you like and still perform fine.
Edited by Saeilfa on 10/10/2012 8:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I also believe that 7.5% hit/exp is a very important goal to reach. 5 mans not so much, however in a raid enviroment with low hit/exp a missed shield slam or revenge can really hurt especially when your trying to save up rage for a barrier that you know your gonna need soon. for short fights it doesnt matter much but when you get into the longer duration those misses really add up to crazy amounts of lost rage.

my next is mastery as critcal blocks gen rage. so with lots of adds you use block and increase your chance for more critical clocks which means rage which means more mitigation.

next is parry simply cause parry procs revenge which means more rage :P.

then finally dodge.

i personally believe that being in control of your mitigation instead of relying on parry/dodge luck to avoid dmg is a better way to tank.
Edited by Fullbuster on 10/10/2012 9:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Alright so from what I've gathered, we actually have some fun with stats now compared to 4.3 :D.

1. I'm going hit/exp 7.5% > mastery > parry = strength > dodge and stam all over like cheese on a pizza. Look decent?

2. For gemming, is yellow sockets = pure red/blue sockets = hybrids okay? This is the first time I gear a warrior for raiding so I'm learning the basic.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
1. I'm going hit/exp 7.5% > mastery > parry = strength > dodge and stam all over like cheese on a pizza. Look decent?

Spot on. Once I start raiding I'll have to cap my hit/exp too.

2. For gemming, is yellow sockets = pure red/blue sockets = hybrids okay? This is the first time I gear a warrior for raiding so I'm learning the basic.

Not too sure, but I've been using Perfect Puissant Alexandrite's (160 Master/120 Stam) and Fine Vermilion Onyx (160 Parry/160 Mastery)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
10/11/2012 02:12 AMPosted by Jackwagon
At what point does STR become a better mitigation stat than parry though? Or, is the DR curve slight enough that it's not realistic to assume that would ever happen?
It never does. They're both on the exact same DR, so if you have more str, parry rating will give you less parry. If that makes sense. Parry rating is always going to give more parry chance than str, no matter how much of either you have.

It's just that at 85, str had a better conversion to parry chance, so str was better. At 90, this is no longer true.

EDIT: To clarify. The way the game figures out your overall parry chance is, first it converts your parry rating into parry chance (Say, for example, not using real numbers, 5000 parry rating converts to 5% parry) and it converts your strength from buffs and gear into parry chance (Again, not using real numbers, this is just stuff I'm pulling from my head, say 5000 str converts into 4% parry), so you've got, for example, 9% extra parry chance. Then it applies Diminishing Returns to that 9% chance giving, say, 7% parry after DR. Finally, it adds the 5.3ish% parry you get from your base parry and your base strength, plus any flat parry buffs you might have, such as Stoneskin Gargoyle for DKs.
As you can see, because the strength (excluding base strength) and parry are both converted into parry chance before diminishing returns is applied, and because strength gives less parry chance than parry rating does, strength will always be inferior.
-----
Edited by Waniou on 10/11/2012 3:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Warriors need their own version of maintankadin....and a prot warrior guide in their forum.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Doesn't str also has the benefit of giving attack power, thus making shield barrier slightly better? :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Here is a good discussion on it.

http://forums.askmrrobot.com/index.php?topic=4270.0
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
10/11/2012 06:44 AMPosted by Steinhaut
Doesn't str also has the benefit of giving attack power, thus making shield barrier slightly better? :P

Last I saw the formula, Shield Barrier had a part tacked on to the effect of "-(strength*2)," to largely negate the ability to stack strength for Shield Barrier increases, although it's still a marginal gain through the 10% AP buff.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior

Last I saw the formula, Shield Barrier had a part tacked on to the effect of "-(strength*2)," to largely negate the ability to stack strength for Shield Barrier increases, although it's still a marginal gain through the 10% AP buff.

Well, thanks for the info!
Edited by Steinhaut on 10/11/2012 7:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Why is there so much Dodge on the 463 plate tank gear?

Do any plate tanks actually want Dodge?!? Pretty sure Warriors and Pallies don't, and I thought Parry was better for DKs.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Why is there so much Dodge on the 463 plate tank gear?

Do any plate tanks actually want Dodge?!? Pretty sure Warriors and Pallies don't, and I thought Parry was better for DKs.
It's so we have something to reforge into better stats. :P
-----
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]